Galileo Was Wrong the earth does not move.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Oct 31, 2010.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

It's hard to believe some of these nutjobs. I guess all of the videos from space are all fave and all observations are all wrong.
    Myself I think the desperation of people to not have the bible proven wrong will really drive them to any belief.

http://www.galileowaswrong.com/galileowaswrong/

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If Nevada elects someone like Sharron Angle, we'll be seeing a lot of more of this garbage taken seriously by more people.

3. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Are these people serious?

Reminds me of the Flat Earth Society.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There are so many idiots out there. This seems tame by comparison.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This is the "Lead Scientist" and author of this tripe explaining his immaculate academic credentials in answer to a questioner claiming he is basically an unqualified idiot (worth a read, if only for entertainment value):

What an utter plonker!

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I hate to say it but I'd actually be interested to read that book and see how they could actually prove this. lol

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Oh my...I don't even know where to begin.

Well, I should begin by stopping my laughter, but I haven't been able to just yet. :D

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Me too.

But right from the get-go he admits to having not one, but two ghost writers.

So much for it not being a diploma mill. :p

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well it is all relative depending on how you do your coordinates system. If you set earth to be (0,0,0) and always be (0,0,0) then it would never move. Everything moves relative to that.

Not that this is what the group trying to prove. I just was pointing out how you could do it in science.

11. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Just give me one of those thin black and yellow paperback things.

13. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

They're gathering like 30 minutes away from where I live. :D

Anyway, this is just more proof that you can get "scientists" to say just about anything as long as you pay them enough. :p

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What scientists? They're charlatans, not scientists.

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

HAve you seen the studies on why radiometric dating shows a young earth? It's quite funny.
    They say that there would be no carbon 14 if the earth had been around >30,000 years. They have no understanding of Atomic Theory.

16. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I want to post a reply here but this is so unbelievable that i'm a bit short of words. Oh yea, there in it for the money!!!

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Or send him to Siberia, as Stalin would have.

*****, the poor man has troubles enough. Let him go. ;)

19. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Hey GGW loons, 1995 called and they want their website style back.

20. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Galileo's proof was wrong and he knew it (his proof was that tides proved the Earth moved, his theory only accounted for one high tide a day)
    Bad choice, Gravity has been rewritten several times

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There was more to it than that. Galileo established that there were other centers of motion in the solar system (the Galilean satellites of Jupiter), and as such is was wrong to assume that everything in orbit had the came center.

He was partly wrong about tides, of course - his studies pre-dated Newton's laws of gravity, which is the primary cause of tides in the first place - but Galileo did observe that there was a lag in the tides which changed over time. The fact that he was at the time unaware that it had to do with the relative positions of the sun and moon does seem to make him come across as "wrong," though.

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

anyone know where these guys are getting their crack? i wanna get some of it, it seems like its REALLY GOOD **** :D :cool: ;)

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Their Q&A alone is 170 pages long. Gotta give them (him?) points for thoroughness.

24. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Just proves having a doctorate doesn't mean anything. Half of that list is Dr. and well we know they are idiots.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Do you have links to any of those studies from them on them saying that after 30k years their would be none left? I kind of want to read one of them.

Now the half-life of carbon-14 is a little 5730 years. To make the math easier we are going to say it is 6k years.
    30,000 years would mean that we would have 1/64 of what was started with. That is getting pretty small amount and it gets quick. So to people with a very basic understanding of Atomic theory it makes sense that after 30k years we would not have much if any left.

That being said I want to say I have read that carbon 14 is created in our upper atmospheric by solar radiation. And the current theory is it is created at a steady rate give or take. As we breath, eat ect we consume carbon 14. When we die we stop consuming it and it starts breaking down.

Now I have a much more advance understanding of atomic theory than most people but know and understand very little of it. I think most people only understand the first part with 1/2 lifes and do not understand how those elements are created. I would put the creation part of radioactive elements at more advance understanding.