Gallup Poll: 29% of Americans think Religion is out of date

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by firestarter, Dec 30, 2009.

1. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

5. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

I think you're right - people are convenient believers.

Britain as a country is way more secular than the US (Brits are usually shocked by the number of churches / amount of religious activity in the States) - yet people do still attend Church for major life-passage events (Marriage, Death).

Just how Christian is someone who doesn't think seriously about these matters, and attends Church only once every 3 or 4 years (and not for the purposes of worship)? Yet they may describe themselves as Christian.

6. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

:rolleyes:

Satan is alive and well; no real surprise here. In related news, the sun rose this morning!

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I could never wrap my mind around. Satan. Why would a loving God create him or her?

8. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

Do you have anything sensible to add, or has all that blind faith addled your ability to reason?

9. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

10. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

I think people lack the courage of their non-conviction.

Most folk probably don't think about religion on a daily basis, but shy away from actually saying 'there is no god'.

Two millennia of threats and power is a difficult thing to shrug off - and apart from the intellectual honesty of admitting the truth there's not much benefit in 'coming out' as an atheist. I think a lot of people see agnosticism as a pragmatic stance - nothing like hedging your bets, in case the sky-faries are real! :)

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think people can be a religion without attending worship. Likewise, I think people who do attend worship regularly can lack faith and/or religion.

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I agree wholeheartedly with this, and can attest to it as well.

My parents divorced when I was very young and my dad remarried not long after. Growing up I spent much less time with my dad and his new family but the time that I did spend with them there was a lot of religion and church visits involved. I absolutely hated it. My mom was raised Christian but never forced anything on my brother and I.

Around the time my brother hit high school him, my mom and I sat down and had a serious discussion about how her faith had all but vanished and how we had come into agnosticism through everyday living and skepticism. My dad and his family were made aware of these decisions but we were still expected to attend the family events that involved church (obviously weddings, no big deal there; but also holiday masses and such) and once you've decided on your beliefs it's really hard to take anything seriously when somebody of a completely different belief system is going on and on about how your life will never be complete until you give your life to something that you know in your heart doesn't exist.

Anyway. Sorry for the life story. I'm happy to see that more and more people are coming to their senses and welcoming some healthy skepticism into their lives.

13. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have the feeling that the number is low, too.

America is largely a secular humanist country with capitalism as the "real" religion here. We have the most billionaires but no real plan to help the homeless, the uninsured, and the growing victims of this recession. Much of the newer forms of Christianity within the past couple of decades have taken the paths of cults or mega churches in the mold of Jim Bakker.

The traditional Catholic and mainstream Protestant churches that have defined the US for centuries, with its politically neutral points of view, has sadly fallen to the wayside. I think a lot of politicos from the Christian Right have done a lot to hurt Christianity as a religion/faith, and ironically have promoted non-Christian values such as a one world government with the US as the head, military aggression, out of control government spending while pointing at the Democrats, sexism, and racism to the Republican Party. That being said, there are still plenty of Christians who are Republicans, Democrats, or otherwise.

The great death knell to religion in America in the late 20th century was the mixing of politics and religion (for political gain). While I disagree with a lot of what Nixon was about, he saw the neo-con/Christian Right as the biggest threat from within to his party. By the time the Christian Right took over the GOP, they lost their faith along the way and traded it for $, power, intolerance, and hate.

No wonder why "religion" is not doing well in America.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Religion is often a "club" that people join for social, political and economic reasons. I'm sure that a handful of churchgoers are true believers but for most it's a means to an end.