Game Console to my apple monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MLT x llaMA, Oct 11, 2008.

1. MLT x llaMA macrumors newbie

I have an apple monitor, not sure what model but just look at the pics. And I really want to be able to play my xbox 360 on it. Is there a way to do it?

I did search before I posted this but none of the threads really answered my question.

What do I need to connect it? Please post links.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MLT x llaMA thread starter macrumors newbie

pics

Attached Files:

3. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

If you have a HDMI port on the xbox then you can get an adaptor (I think), but as far as I know only the 360 elite has the hdmi port...

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

they all do now, even the arcade

6. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

shows how much I keep up on this stuff right? haha
    :)

7. MLT x llaMA thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I get that VGA cable I can get a VGA box and get it to work or is there something else I need or another way?

I don't know a lot about the dvi and that other stuff.

8. tobyg macrumors 6502a

You forget, that's an ADC connection so you'll need to get something to power the monitor too, an ADC to DVI converter box. That monitor is meant to hook up to older Powermacs that would supply the power to the monitor over the ADC connection.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

pretty much your approach is this

1) decide what output from the 360 you want to use (hdmi or composite, etc)

2) decide what input your computer has and what input you want to use for the game (if your computer has a dvi and vga, id do the opposite of whatever connection your computer uses o you can just switch sources on the monitor if you want to swtich from gaming and computer)

3) get the corresponding adapters or cables that go from the 360 output to the display input

4) figure out how to get sound as it wont be carried over via vga or dvi ( i myselfe use the hdmi output on my ps3 to carry the image to dvi and then the avi connection to carry the sound to my stereo)

10. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The only way to get signal into that monitor is to buy a $100+ dollar DVI->ADC converter box (the dirt cheap adapter that goes the other way won't work) and then use HDMI->DVI from the Xbox to the monitor.

Ok, I lied, there are VGA->DVI converters but they also run a few hundred and you still need the ADC converter box on top of that.

Long story short, it is cheaper and easier to buy a new screen.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

good call, i mistook the pic as a standard dvi input

12. smogsy macrumors 6502a

if you use your Xbox 360 HDMI port to any Apple Screen you will see a blank image as there is no HDCP Compliance.

you need to use another form of video output such as VGA,Svideo :)

13. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

No he does not. HDMI is only required to watch high definition movies. Since the xBox has no drive that can play HD movies it will work like a normal DVI port (which is what HDMI is).

14. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Actually, that's not entirely true.

1. There actually was an HD-DVD drive accessory for the XBox 360 up until late last year when Toshiba finally threw in the towel. And that (along with every HD-DVD disc manufactured) would output up to 1080i over the HD A/V cables (component video). Funny, that's a high-definition format, too. :rolleyes:

As it currently stands, even Blu-ray players allow output of up to 1080i signals over component video. It's actually up to the film distributors whether or not they want the disc to allow it (which is controlled by a flag). So far, the film studios have been pretty generous about allowing 1080i output over analog component video; there's a TON of people out there that still own HDTVs that lack digital video connections. 1080p video from Blu-ray does require HDMI, however.

2. The XBox 360 will not output even a splash screen if it isn't connected to HCDP compliant device when using HDMI/DVI. According to the HDMI specification, an HDCP device handshake is NOT optional.

To the OP:

Like stated before, it'll probably be a lot less hassle buying a new monitor instead. You'd need an ADC-DVI/VGA converter box (which is expensive because it contains an external power supply for the monitor in place of the one that would normally be equipped on an ADC graphics card), in addition to an upscan converter to go from component video to VGA. You're looking at $300-400 that you can just buy a new monitor with. Look for one that's HDCP compliant (none of Apple's are).

15. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

Funny, that is a DEAD format. Wanna watch some Laserdisc movies with me? I have Jurassic Park!

16. hms84 macrumors regular

I've done such thing with my 20 ACD ...

Using the Gefen HD Mate Scaler Link

It's really good ... with up to 23 inch ACd support

BUT the Main problem with it... It supports Component only (Analog Signal)
    and then Digitize it to DVI ... NO HDMI SUPPORT!!!