Gameboy Micro: cute, but what's the point?

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
It's cute, it's tiny, it plays games. But from a marketing standpoint, is this just another gimmick to skim the massive Gameboy userbase?

Next thing you know is you can carry it around on your keychain.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Sorry about that, here:

I think it's neat, but I just don't get the sense that there's anything groundbreaking about it.

Am I missing something? :confused:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I missed this completely. It doesn't interest me very much, since I already have a device to fill the need that a GameBoy Micro would fulfill. If the GameBoy Micro uses swappable cartridges, then it has an advantage over what I've got now. If the games don't appeal to me, I have no reason to buy it.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
There is no difference. Nintendo even mentioned on their website it's not meant to be a successor. It's just being marketted to style-conscious people who prefer a low profile look.

I wonder how much it will cost.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Here's more pics:

Anyone think Pokemon type games will be making a come back because of this?

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
calyxman said:
Here's more pics:

Anyone think Pokemon type games will be making a come back because of this?

Don't Pokemon games have text? If so then I doubt it. And if they do, we'll see a lot more kids in glasses due to eyestrain.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
from the looks of it. the screen is smaller the the game cart. at leat i think it's a game cart in the bottum of it.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
I figure it'll be dirt cheap. Or at least hope. It'll have to be cheaper than the GBA SP. If it's $99 Cdn or more, count me out. But I doubt it will be.
In which case, I'll be the first in line to buy one. I love love my DS but it's just too clunky to bring with me "everywhere". Plus I don't want to break it, etc. And I've already got tons of GBA games (gotta love Mario advance). It's sort of like my iPod shuffle/iPod 3G relationship. This and an iPod shuffle are the perfect combination for leaving the house.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
chameeeleon said:
I figure it'll be dirt cheap. Or at least hope. It'll have to be cheaper than the GBA SP. If it's $99 Cdn or more, count me out. But I doubt it will be.
Why will it have to be "dirt cheap"? Why would it be cheaper than the SP, it's newer and smaller. You generally pay for miniaturization in all electronics products (think Laptop vs Desktop, in-ear over over-ear).
The SP was A LOT more than the GBA at first, I would expect this to be too.
It looks pretty "classy", i would expect at least $99.