Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Hi all,

I don't mean to bother, but does anyone know of some games that would run well on the build below?

Processor: 400MHz PPC G4
RAM: 1GB
Graphics Card: Flashed PC Radeon 7000 w/ 64MB VRAM
OS(s): Mac OS X 10.4 and Mac OS 9.2.2.

I would prefer games with 3D graphics (2D is okay if the game is a classic) in the Genres of Adventure, Horror, RPG, Strategy, and some Sports.

If games for hardware similar to this have been discussed on another thread please link me to them so I can have a look at other's recommendations.

Here are games that I know I already want:
American McGee's Alice
Clyve Barker's Undying
BloodRayne
Diablo
Diabo II
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake
Quake II
Quake 3 (I've seen mixed feelings on this game on older hardware)
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom
Doom II
Doom 3 (If my hardware can run the PPC version?)

Thanks for any help/input!

-Alex :apple:

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Sorry dude but with a 400 MHz CPU, you're not going to get very far in terms of 3D gaming, even with a 64mb card...

I suppose you could try Halo? Maybe Sims 1/2...

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Depending on which G4 it is, you can probably track down a faster CPU for it under $50 on eBay. I don't think you'll see too much trouble with those games, but even an extra 100MHz can make a big difference.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
My model is the AGP PowerMac G4 Sawtooth.

Doom 3 being out of the question is understandable. I play it on my 2010 Mac mini and it seems like too much for such an old G4.

EDIT 1: I did try the old Halo demo. It ran terribly on low settings in Tiger. Staying away from that.

Last edited:

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
My model is the AGP PowerMac G4 Sawtooth.

Doom 3 being out of the question is understandable. I play it on my 2010 Mac mini and it seems like too much for such an old G4.

EDIT 1: I did try the old Halo demo. It ran terribly on low settings in Tiger. Staying away from that.
Halo really needs at least a 1GHz chip IMO. I ran it on a 1GHz iMac G4, eMac 1.42GHz and 1.25GHz Mini. The eMac was bar far the best mostly because of the GPU I would think.

adddictedtomac

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
G3 400MHz / Games

Hi all,

I don't mean to bother, but does anyone know of some games that would run well on the build below?

Processor: 400MHz PPC G4
RAM: 1GB
Graphics Card: Flashed PC Radeon 7000 w/ 64MB VRAM
OS(s): Mac OS X 10.4 and Mac OS 9.2.2.

I would prefer games with 3D graphics (2D is okay if the game is a classic) in the Genres of Adventure, Horror, RPG, Strategy, and some Sports.

If games for hardware similar to this have been discussed on another thread please link me to them so I can have a look at other's recommendations.

Here are games that I know I already want:
American McGee's Alice
Clyve Barker's Undying
BloodRayne
Diablo
Diabo II
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake
Quake II
Quake 3 (I've seen mixed feelings on this game on older hardware)
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom
Doom II
Doom 3 (If my hardware can run the PPC version?)

Thanks for any help/input!

-Alex :apple:

Most of the games you quoted run very well on PowerMac G3 400MHz with standard ATI Rage 128 card.

So they should be running even faster on a PowerMac G4.

Have a look at my channel I have a demo of my PowerMac G3 running some of these games:

http://www.youtube.com/user/adddictedtomacintosh

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Yep, I too can attest to some of those games running great on a Sawtooth with a Rage 128, although mine is 500 instead of 400.

Diablo, Diablo II, Quake, Quake II, and Duke Nukem work great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.