Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ive never played games on my iPhone so far and i need one or two to kill time for a couple of hours. Are there any free ones that could be worth playing? Not really interested in cool graphics, i think ones with addictive game play are the best.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Free? Can't spare a buck or three? Monument is terrific, OK Golf is fun too, neither are free. Crossy Road is a fun little time-waster and free - one of the few fun freebie games I've found, Pac Man 256 is another.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Mobile games are designed to be addictive and takes your money, so if that's what you are looking for, get a very addictive game that takes many hours to level up and comes with lots of in app purchases, like Hungry Shark Evolution. They're the type of games where it's basically a second job where you have to grind daily to get anywhere in the game.

I haven't found many good free ones on iOS, usually they are more 'free' on Android while costing a bit more on iOS, that's just how the market is.

Some decent free ones are: Bejeweled Classic, Subway Surfer, and Major Mayhem (this one is very fun).

All of the games by Mediocre AB are good if you can spend just a bit of money. Granny Smith is one of the best mobile game I've played, it's much better and tons more levels than the $10 Mario Run.

The mobile game I've been playing most consistently for the last few years is GolfStar, although it's been going downhill with some of the changes. As you level up to Pro status it becomes less about skill and more about spending money or grinding to upgrade your stats and equipment. To me it's more fun to play by yourself than competing with other players, just because of the way they design the whole thing multiplayer and competition isn't fun in this game to me. It is one of the best mobile golf game though.

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
IMG_8564.PNG IMG_8565.PNG IMG_8566.PNG
Ive never played games on my iPhone so far and i need one or two to kill time for a couple of hours. Are there any free ones that could be worth playing? Not really interested in cool graphics, i think ones with addictive game play are the best.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Oh and i forgot to mention that i prefer games that do not need internet access!

unicharm

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2017
DESERT GOLFING
Desert Golfing begins, like so many video games, as an escape from the banality of life. Maybe you're sitting on the subway or the toilet when you pull back the first swing and release. You finish one hole. You finish nine holes. You finish 18 holes. But the golfing continues to 50 holes, then 100, then 300, and slowly the experience changes.

At one point, a cactus appears. At another point, the game unlocks GameCenter connectivity. Sometimes the courses are extra hilly; sometimes they're extra flat. The game just keeps going.

You begin to ask questions. The game tracks your score, but does the score matter if the game never ends? If the score doesn't matter and the game never ends, why play? And why play video games? Here you are on the 400th hole in a 2D mobile golfing game and the big question hits you: Why do anything?

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
There are many free time killers in AppStore,including classics like minesweeper,solitaire,candy crush,or some of the "endless runner" games.
For my own time killing this far,I use 1010!,Canabalt,sinksub or labyrinth on my phone,for the iPad,I use some racing or board game apps.

Peks

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2016
"Trickyboard" is usually the game I use during "airport" time. Also "2024". Both of them make time fly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.