Gaming on iMac 27'' with 3.4ghz i7 + 680mx : recommended temperatures?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mac32, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I've been out of the gaming and PC loop for a few years, using only laptops. Now that I have my late 2012 iMac (3.4ghz i7 + 680mx + 768ssd), I've started to game again. Dx11 titles like Crysis 2 looks amazing in native resolution on the high res iMac display! :)

However, what are "safe" temperatures for gaming? Playing the most recent and demanding games, its not hard to get temperatures up to 85-88c for the CPU, and 78-79c for the GPU. I know the max temp threshold for the CPU is 105c, but I also worry about stress to the silicon chips with repeated heating and cooling over a longer period of time. Is modern hardware designed for these kinds of temperatures? This is obviously only when gaming, but say one is gaming 2-3 hours at a time for 3-4 times a week during certain periods? Maybe a bit more during a holiday, then some weeks no gaming at all..

It would be great to hear from someone with real knowledge about these things. I would like my iMac to last 5-6 years, this was an expensive purchase. :) Thanks!

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

If I don't say it, GGJStudios will, so here:
    Your computer was designed to be used.

I wouldn't worry about the temps. CPUs get hot, as do GPUs. Just use it like you normally would.

3. Tri-stan macrumors 6502

If you notice in the teardown pictures of the lstest iMac 27 inch is that the heat sink fo the gpu and cpu is combined togeather. You will also notice that the cool air flowing from the cpu fan hits the gpu cooling fins first and secondly hits the cpu cooling fins. I think this is the reason that while gaming the less stressed cpu is affected by the hot exhaust air passed down by the gpu hense the higher temperatures.

Just thought I would point that if you are quearing high cpu temperatures.

4. Mac32 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advices. :) However the 680MX doesn't quite cut it at stock setting for some of the most demanding newer games, if you want native resolution at 30fps (vsync). Overclocking the card gives a very nice performance boost (150-200mhz/250-300mhz), but adds a few extra degrees celsius. Therefore some more concrete advice in terms of preferable temperature ranges would be great.
    Thanks again. :)

5. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Think about your pc like a car. its designed to be used/driven. if you're going to oc, then of course you're stressing it so theoretically, you're making it work harder than it was designed to, but no one can give you a definitive answer on how long said oc part will last. My advice is just use it and enjoy it.

6. Mac32 thread starter macrumors 6502a