Gangs Spreading In The Military

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 29, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

CBS

so shall we expect new gang tactics in our city streets? talk about fighting them over here (sic) ...

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

That's pretty messed up. The army needs to stomp on that quickly and decisively.

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Whew. I thouht this was in reference to the lesbian gang epidemic. So ^ ^ that's how the bloods are getting rocket launchers!:eek:

4. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

5. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Marines in gang attire at Parris Island???

TOTALLY unsat. Base commander should be fired. Yeah, that's an awesome thing to see at one of only two places where Marines are "made". Some idiot PFC/LCpl's running around with gang attire on.

I could swear I read somewhere that civilian attire is supposed to closely resemble the fit and form of the Service Charlie uniform.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's what happens when we get desperate and lower the bar as much as we've had to.

7. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

8. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Part 2 of this story is what really got my attention. Once the GI Gangster is out of the service or posted stateside, they take what they learned in the military and apply it to the gang lifestyle. Absolutely wonderful. Maybe hiring mercenaries isn't so bad after all.

9. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I think this is the key to this entire issue. The military is made up of young americans. Many of them join the military as a last resort to get them out of bad situations. Others have hit rock bottom and have few other choices. Others have wanted to serve their country since childhood and consider it an honor.

The american soldier has been lifted up by the press and by politicians because of their great sacrifices for our country that so many people see soldiers as these great people who have a higher set of values than the rest of society. Many soldiers truly fit the mold we have put them in, but many others are just normal people and many are complete scum.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

It was two or three years back that I read a brief news article that some gang members were deliberately joining the military to learn about the various types of weaponry.

There are also articles from time to time about thefts of arms and explosives, with it occasionally involving gang members. And, of course, sometimes it's strictly a money thing for a non-ganger; not always known as to who is the buyer.

Separate but similar: Back in the 1960s/1970s, the Black Panthers hit quite a few National Guard armories, mostly stealing M16s. I've not read of any high rate of recovery...

'Rat

11. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

I must say, I was also shocked when I read that. I know, and have known good folks who joined the Marines out of high school, and with what they have told me about boot camp at either Parris Island or San Diego, I am amazed that this is tolerated.

What's next, known gang members being admitted to Annapolis? Now that is a scary thought, members of the U.S. Military becoming commissioned officers.