garageband 09, never used it, is it a app that can make dance music?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMister111, May 19, 2010.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

Hi

Although I converted to Mac about 2 years ago, I'm still learning all there is great about Mac and iLife. I have Snow Leopard and iLife 09. My main aim when converting to Mac was for the iLife and organising my Media digital life.

I am pretty ok now on iTunes , iPhoto, whereby I've organised and tagged all my music, and beginning my photos.

I havent used GarageBand before. Is this an app where you can make dance music? Just simple stuff, eg a drum beat and have a bit mixing about? or am I down the wrong path.

I have seen the Music lessons which look cool.

So anyone use this app? for something that I may want to? Also can you buy plugins for it? ie Dance packs etc for using? I have seen the lesson store but this is for teaching guitar etc

cheers

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Garageband is easily capable of that. It comes with a lot of drum-patterns that you can use and change, the softsynths aren't bad and if you want something more there are a couple of free ones like Crystal. What's really missing in Garageband for dance music is an arpeggiator, but you can sort of work around it with using the patterns (synth etc) and editing them.

It helps though if you have some understanding of melody and harmony.

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Cheers

I am a complete noob to mixing, and just thought I'd have a mess, I love Dance music, and thought maybe have a blast.

I noticed you can buy Jam packs - remix one - seems to be the dance, but its £69, so wont be buying that until a master!

I take it you use it for Dance then? afraid dont know anything about mixing, just what sounds good (to me anyway :p)

Also anything I produce.export, is it mine? royalty free etc, to post on net etc free from copyright?

any tips?

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I did use it when I was starting out, great fun and a learning experience (though I've had lots more fun with the Korg M50 I got later).

Everything you make with the Apple-supplied samples and loops is yours, check out this support document if you want it in black on white: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2931

Tips... a MIDI keyboard is good to have, a small one is enough unless you have plans on playing piano pieces, 49 keys is fine, depending on how much space you have. For dance music you will probably want to use the cutoff filter, which can be a bit awkward to use, so read up on track automation and how to best use it.

5. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

you can create what ever you want through it. If you want to see someone that uses it well go onto youtube and search for "the fully sick rapper" He does his recording through it from a hospital bed.

I use it when I need to play with tracks to overlay video or create ring tones for my iphone.

Another awesome feature is the fact that my Gibson plugs direct into the computer and I can select what type of amps i play through and the different effects, very very powerful for something that comes with your mac at purchase.

Jam packs are available as well for different things.

Cheers

Josh