Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
I just reinstalled Garageband after a clean install of Mountain Lion. Now I'm seeing this:

"GarageBand is scanning your system for audio devices, and has detected a device named "AirPlay". If you want to use this device, do not disconnect it during the scanning process. Do you want to use this device?"​

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-04 at 12.11.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-04 at 12.11.47 PM.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 322

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I just reinstalled Garageband after a clean install of Mountain Lion. Now I'm seeing this:

"GarageBand is scanning your system for audio devices, and has detected a device named "AirPlay". If you want to use this device, do not disconnect it during the scanning process. Do you want to use this device?"​

Thoughts?

And? Mountain Lion has airplay audio out capabilities built in, for any machine (even those that don't support Video mirroring).

It appears as a 'soundcard' if you will. So Garageband will be able to output to the device, probably some lag though.

This is the built in equivalent of Airfoil.

theloon

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
What is most annoying about this feature in Garageband is you can't turn off the scanning. As the latest firmware, certainly for ATV3, keeps bringing the thing to life periodically, it keeps popping up as a detected device.

We need a checkbox to stop this in Garageband and/or at the system pref level.

:(

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Scanning does not mean searching your software; it means it is scanning the hardware to see what devices are connected out there. Since AirPlay is a new feature of ML, it will detect it as new.

theloon

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
Yes I'm quite aware it's not scanning the software, you have missed the point of my comment.

Having to constantly acknowledge a pop up window every time the ATV wakes up, which is beyond user control, is interrupting workflow, and there is no option to just ignore this discovery for either 'always' or for a 'session'.

vimanaboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2006
n. california
I finally figured out the source of this problem, for me. I use AirServer on a Mac Pro to be able to send A/V from my MBP to it's screen/speakers. I had been running v4.4. Updating to the current v4.5.2 seems to have solved the problem.

If you use AirServer, AirParrot or similar software, update to the latest and/or contact the developer and inform them of the issue.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.