"Gary Johnson completely botches Chelsea explosion response"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Sep 20, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://nypost.com/2016/09/19/gary-johnson-completely-botches-chelsea-explosion-response/

:facepalm:

And people think Trump is worse?! Johnson either thinks nobody was there or the people hurt were not constituents (or nobodies).

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Proof that 3rd Party candidates are little more than a joke.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Obama believes there are 57 states and he made it all the way to the Oval Orifice.

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

To be fair, Trump opens his mouth daily and inserts his foot. Hillary is a blatant liar and nobody can believe a word she says.

and

There were two bombs that went off that day with one that had no injuries. It is possible that he got them confused, it happens.

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Or he misspoke and simply meant to say "killed" instead of "hurt".

6. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I agree, weren't all the 29 people that got hurt leaving the hospital the day after already? So I think it's pretty clear what he wanted to say, since a lot worse could have happened in those incidents. But of course I also agree that he "botched" his response - I know little about him but from that he doesn't strike me as someone that is always in control over his reactions/responses.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

or he confused the events, there was another explosion in NJ where no one got hurt
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/20/nyregion/nyc-nj-explosions-ahmad-khan-rahami.html?_r=0
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2016 ---
    what? are you voting Clinton? their super predators comments jailed & affected more minorities than the KKK ever did.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

And he's still better than Hillary or Trump..

The guy could drool in front of a camera for an hour and still be better

9. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Clearly he meant killed and just misspoke god wtf is the big deal? Are they not paying attention to the Orange cancer? They never ****ing press him on any questions or call him out on his lies but god forbid Gary Johnson misspeak

10. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I have a niece that threatened to leave the country if Trump is elected. I'm curious what you will do if Trump is elected ?

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Um, no. In that hour the world moves on and Johnson would need to pay attention. The rest of the world has input to what goes on in the world too, you know? It's not like the planet sits around waiting for the President of the USA to read the funny papers, the sports page and then scratch that itch on his forearm and decide whether to go have some more coffee or phone up some head of state and dictate that guy's task list for the day. Or in the case of Johnson, probably ignore that guy's task list for the day as long as it didn't seem likely get in the way of Johnson's plan for the day.

Mrs. Clinton is a better candidate for assessing what's going on in the world, how to prioritize, and whom to phone up for some consultations after her daily briefings. Of all the candidates this year her responses seem more nuanced when she's asked about policy. Part of that comes from being a candidate, yes, but part of it comes from experience knowing that neither problems nor solutions in the real world are binary.

Just about everything on earth has a reasonable spectrum of differing viewpoints. Starting with the fact that sometimes we don't have enough information to make a snap judgment. I don't hear that from other candidates. I heard it from some other Republican candidates in the primaries, but Trump drowned out their voices with his Trump-all coin-flipping pronouncements.

When Trump says in midst of his ad hoc departures from rally scripts, "I don't know...", we've all learned by now that he's deciding in that moment what Trump thinks, and he is about to make another of his off the cuff pronouncements that pass for policy decisions. Of course they might be 180'd by nightfall, either by his staff or himself under prodding by media and then by staff, but that's down the road and this is now... the eternal now of Trump.

Now Stein or Johnson, either one, is not quite as bad as Trump, certainly, but they still seem more to me than Clinton is about imagining they can just wave a wand and massive change --as dictated by them, by them leading the USA-- will immediately occur, and without any untoward or unforeseen consequences. Stein seems less realistic to me, and Johnson too unconcerned that a lot of things even matter; he strikes me as aptly suited for the Libertarians' ticket. Kinda "do what you like as long as it doesn't bug me." He's a guy some people on this planet would love to see in office. LOL Gary Johnson would make people realize Obama really is a community organizer. You don't get to lay back on Obama's watch. He sends out invitations to get with the program. Not ready? We'll be back next month, next year... how about half a loaf, better than nothing? How about chipping in three bucks? Johnson, I dunno. He might be so laid back himself he didn't notice he was giving the store away.

But Clinton's already worked with federal legislators and understands the give and take of how bills end up on the desk in the Oval Office. For another thing she's already spent months on end facing international negotiators.

For all the hammering people still do on US policy (towards Libya or Iran, say just as two examples), I see very little acknowledgment from other candidates for President, and from other GOP partisans, that other players on this planet --minor or otherwise-- have made and daily make decisions that augment, parallel or conflict with decisions taken by the USA. Clinton knows this full well and for that reason alone is better prepared to move up to the Oval Office.

I noticed that Clinton's first remarks after the Chelsea explosion were a suggestion that it was good to let investigators do their work before concluding anything about the person or people behind the attack in the Chelsea neighborhood of NYC. I thought that was a far better public comment than anything immediately said by either DeBlasio or Cuomo, just because it acknowledged there were facts yet to be gleaned.

12. ActionableMango, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yeah, Johnson has misspoken a few times, leading to gaffes. I don't hold it against him. Everyone does it, including me.

Clinton almost accidentally referred to Trump as her husband. It's a gaffe--it's not important.

Trump misspeaks every time he opens his mouth. Or even worse, he's not misspeaking at all.

Perhaps you are a perfect public speaker?

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I couldn't disagree more.

14. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I doubt your niece is 100% serious.

I won't leave the country lol. Ill just bitch and complain and then vote for someone else in 4 years. Trump as horrific, scary, dumb, and disgusting as he is, isn't the main problem. Its his supporters who feel empowered by him. He won't get much done in office because he doesn't know how to do anything because he knows nothing about policy and doesn't want to. Just wants all the glory without putting any work in which is literally the opposite of what this country stands for

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Gary Johnson has eight years of executive experience as governor of a large state. That alone makes him more qualified than Cankles or the Cheeto. Hell, he's more qualified than Barry in 2008.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'm possibly too old to pull up stakes and head elsewhere, but I will be tempted if he wins. And I'm pretty sure some of my nextgens will actually make good on it. Where they'd go is another question but they're probably trying to sort out some options based on their skill sets, traveling experience, politics, etc.

Me, I'll update my passport. I've threatened to go become a potscrubber in a Nova Scotia coffee shop, stuff like that. Haven't purposefully explored real options yet. Staying home and phoning my Congress critter could end up seeming sufficient. The lines to the White House will probably be pretty tied up...

17. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Rick perry had 15 years of executive experience. Doubt you'd say the same about him.

And lol no that doesn't make him more qualified on paper than Hillary.

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Eight year executive experience and he isn't a foreign policy disaster. So yea, even on paper he's more qualified than Cankles.

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Not doing a job makes you more qualified than someone who has done it and made some (albeit dumb) mistakes. Nice logic.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I prefer competence to incompetence, as do most rational people.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

A foreign policy disaster as governor of New Mexico would take a lot of doing, or a really big mouth anyway.

Anyway Johnson's record in New Mexico, aside from being more Republican than anything else, was pretty focused on just saying NO. Very very very fond of the veto pen, Mr. Johnson. Means he thought he was in better shape to decide the will of the voters than were the legislators those voters had elected. Fascinating.

No sale.

22. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Tell me more about how Gary has shown competence in foreign policy.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When did New Mexico become a large state?

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Gary_Johnson#Foreign_Policy

When it took me 7+ hours to drive from Silver City to Raton.