Gary Johnson Is Pulling Support From Both Clinton And Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 28, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I would take Johnson over either of the two established party candidates, for sure.

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Sounds like good policies for the most part, but good luck in getting them implemented, and what would happen as a result to their implementation or if something unexpected happens. Ditto regarding Stein.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

then vote for him :D

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Phrasing, boom.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

As someone who lives in a deep blue state, I will certainly vote for a third party candidate. Haven't decided which one yet.

As the specific third-party candidates are very unlikely to actually win, and my vote is more of a gesture of support and hopefully something that will cause that party to get more public funding in the future, the choice will be made based on the party platform rather than the specific individual candidate.

10. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

That’s good, I hope that both Gary Johnson and Jill Stein receive tons of votes. If only as protest vote/voting conscience, but also I recall reading a few weeks ago that: if either crosses a 5% threshold they receive some kind of special support from the government for the next election. I don’t remember specifics on what that support is.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

;)o_Oo_O;)
    --- Post Merged, Jul 28, 2016 ---
    It varies from state to state, and the federal government has their own formulas, but essentially at certain thresholds the parties get access to public campaign finance and it gets easier to be the ballot.

12. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Same here. Hillary could set a bomb off in Boston common and still win here.

My vote won't help get anyone elected, but it can help Gary J some more funding for the next go-round.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Exactly. The more votes that third parties receive the more power they will have in the future. We must play the long game.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If everyone voted for the third party they would win. By saying that it is a wasted vote is a cop out. It's only wasted when people are close minded to a better choice.

15. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

well many call it being "pragmatic". see my sig.

16. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Third parties will never amount to anything in this country without first winning a substantial amount of positions elsewhere in government (House, Senate, state legislatures, governorships). The current strategies of the Libertarian and Green party are upside down and lack a coherent understanding about political parties function within our system. They both waste hundreds of thousands of dollars every four years running vanity campaigns. Gather up a huge pile of money, place it in a hole, set it on fire. The end result will be the same as voting either for President.

The long game is putting all your resources into winning election at the local and state level. Political parties are built from the ground-up, not from the top-down.

17. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Thanks, that sounds like what I read.

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

All the more reason to vote third party up and down the ticket.

19. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Sure. A vote for a third part presidential candidate is a waste, though.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

A vote on principle instead of party is never wasted.

21. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

A trite saying. If the result is nil...or 0.6% of the popular vote, yes, it is. You have accomplished nothing outside of making a vanity candidate feel good about themselves. You have successfully helped gather a pile of money together, placed it into a hole, and set it on fire.

Most people who vote, vote on principle. Absolutely. The 1/3,1/3,1/3 parties and Independent split shows a full 33% of people don't vote based on party alone.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

yeah yeah and then complain because voting the lesser evil still got us evil :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

23. AE14 macrumors 65816

Johnson/Weld is where my vote is going as well

24. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

The Baby Boom generation really did a number on our political system. Decades of apolitical living has allowed neoliberalism creep in and take hold. This isn't something that will be fixed in an election, or two, or three. Third parties need to think things through. They need to compile a coherent strategy for the future. This begins with abandoning vanity presidential campaigns in favor of running candidates hard at the local and state level. If they started in 2016, we would still be a decade away, at least, IMO.

25. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani