Gas hitting 100, where is the outrage?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by HyperX13, Feb 23, 2011.

1. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

When oil hit $100 and Bush was in office Obama, Chuckie Shumer and gang of dummycrats screamed and cried and wanted Congressional inquires. Blah, blah, blah…Now they smile in approval. Once again I can call the democrats hypocrites and they can't argue with me. I hope it goes higher, every penny over $100 means no second term for Obama even if the Republicans put Palin on the ballot. MMM…$5.00 gallon oil will really break this country in two…Higher oil means high unemployment, lower tax revenue, UNION Busting, civil unrest…

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

you are clueless as to how the world actually works. go back to your coloring book please.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Another useless thread by hyperx yayyyy!!! As if obama could have done anything about it, and i guarantee you it won't cost him a second term.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

With the unrest in the Middle East, there is nothing Obama can do to control this. Bush could not either. This is beyond our control. Maybe now people will be more interested in developing alternative fuel sources. This situation right now is why so many of us have been pushing this country to get away from it's oil addiction. This will not get better, it will get worse, and there is not a damn thing we can do about it. We're reaping the downfall of our own short-sightedness.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Could you please provide some examples of the democrats "screaming and crying"?

It would provide context and help raise the level of discussion.

Bless you.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

They do?

You wish ill on the country? Peculiar.

Tell us: what can the Government do to lower the price of oil, given the interruptions to Libya's production, the overall feeling of instability in a number of regimes across the Middle East, the rising of demand from growing economies like China, Brazil and India... and the general consensus that oil production seems to have peaked?

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Nope. Because he won't be back here anytime soon.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I did his work for him.

Here's an excerpt from a press release from Senator Schumer's website...

In a letter to President Bush, Schumer tomorrow will ask him to immediately suspend deposits into the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and instead release fuel in what experts call an "oil swap" that increases market supply and drives down prices. The US Department of Energy has been putting over 100,000 barrels per week into the Reserve even as Schumer and other Senators have been arguing that the government should be releasing - not stockpiling - fuel. By taking this oil off the market, the government has further reduced supplies and driven costs up.

Does that qualify as "screaming and crying"?

I guess that depends what side of the aisle you're on.

9. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

What do you want Obama to do? Invade Libya to lower gas prices? :rolleyes:

10. fivepoint, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Seriously... the hypocrisy is painful to watch.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm not sure how it's hypocrisy... but I will agree with you on one thing, the Obama administration has been hopelessly slow at addressing the need to reshape America's energy policy.

He could have done far more to increase development of alternative energies.

It was (and continues to be) an opportunity lost. :(

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- here's exactly why we should have been jumping on alternative fuel sources. And yeah, Obama needs to step it up on this right now. This is an opportunity to lead and get us off oil.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That the democrats didn't do anything between 2006 and now is down to them being incompetent and Hillary Clinton playing politics.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Though of course if there's outrage about the high oil price maybe the US needs to reduce the demand for oil. Metro systems, high speed rail and rail electrification are good ways to do that - as is tightening up the building code to reduce heating costs.

Unfortunately the government is the best/only way to achieve those goals.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Curiously, the governor of some mideastwest state was all hot to hamstring alternative energy through excessive setbacks for wind turbines — seems as though the legislators could at last smell a bad idea, though.

16. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

"Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!" :rolleyes:

You know, fluctuations in the price of oil would be a lot less important if we didn't use so darn much of it. :cool:

17. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

It means less congestion on the roads which means a more enjoyable drive for those of us who can afford the gas. :D

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Observation: I hear a lot of people complain about PRSI and then turn around and participate in threads designed to do nothing but incite. Shakes head.

19. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Observation: I hear a lot of people complain about threads/posts that 'incite', but the complaints only seem to come when they personally philosophically disagree with the ideology being presented. Weird.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I was not complaining, I was merely pointing out that if the complainers didn't participate, worthless threads would die.

I don't live my life bound to some ridiculous text book ideology. In fact, I have pity on those that do.

21. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The gas/oil prices during the Bush administration were very high, and did not seem tied to unrest in the middle east. Gas prices didn't cross the $2.00 per gallon mark in the midwest until March of 2005, and then they rapidly climbed to nearly $3.00 per gallon in August, 2006, but fell to just over $2.00 right before the November, 2006 midterm elections. After that election, gas steadily rose to over $4.00 per gallon in the June/August, 2008 period, but again, fell over a $1.00 right before the November election.

So, while President Bush was in office, the gas/oil prices were not dependent on middle east tension (9/11 actually caused gas prices to drop almost 40 cents), for some reason dropped right before elections, and at the same time, the big oil companies were making not just record profits, but ridiculous record profits and donating massive, massive amounts of money to the GOP.

On the flip side, after President Obama was elected, gas prices dropped from almost $3.00 per gallon, to $1.65 by December, 2008, and remained under or around $2.50 until March, 2010. Even after the oil spill in the gulf, gas remained under $3.00 until recently.

When President Clinton was in office, anyone but me remember the uproar from the right about releasing the military/national reserves? Then Bush was elected, and oil prices skyrocket, but I'm fairly certain the military/national reserves weren't released. Now, they are again screaming about oil prices that are lower than the artificially inflated prices under Bush? Seems disingenuous.

Then again, I'm not an expert in this field, just my observations based on the gas prices in my region.

Feel free to check your area. http://www.eia.doe.gov/

[​IMG]

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From the link...

House Democratic leaders urged federal regulators Friday to investigate whether market manipulation has contributed to record-high gas prices of nearly $3.60 a gallon. ​

I get you.

You think there might be more market manipulation at work here and would like to see a new federal investigation.

Cool.

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Does anyone really think the GOP wants to or will allow a real investigation of big oil and their market manipulation? I don't.

Probably why the Democrats are the ones once again asking for government oversight to protect the average American, while the GOP complains that their corporate benefactors can't do whatever they want. It's a broken record.

25. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

What exactly should he have done differently?