"Gas out" day on May 15th

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by After G, May 4, 2007.

1. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I got this email recently:

I put it up here because it sounded interesting and I wanted to hear other people's comments on the math, figures for the UK contingent on MR, whether it's just an e-mail designed to clog people's inboxes, other people's ideas on how to reduce dependence on gasoline, etc.

edit: If a mod could move this somewhere more appropriate, that's fine too.

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

It's complete bull- People need to fill up their gas tanks. To say "Don't get gas on the 15th" will cause something along the lines of more people getting gas on the 14th and 16th. One day gas-outs are not the answer, switching to a more fuel efficient vehicle, driving less overall, and carpooling are much better solutions.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Says the guy with the avatar who's wasting gas by lighting himself on fire. :)

4. After G thread starter macrumors 68000

After G

I guess people like the idea that they can make a difference by not changing their lifestyle... which just isn't going to work.

I like the "don't drive one day a week" idea on the Snopes website though. As it is right now I only have to drive once a week which makes me feel better. :D

I like the responses so far; keep 'em coming.

5. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

I thought this was going to be a "Everyone eat 12 bean burritos on the 14th" thread...

6. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Hehe, touche

Exactly- you wanna change the world? Then don't go the easy way.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, someone forwarded that to me as well, and I thought... well, I only buy gas once every week or so... so there's already about an 80% probability that I wasn't going to buy gas on the 15th anyway. I don't really see what I'd be "showing" them.

There are three gas stations near where I live, two are across the street from each other and one is about 1/4 mile down the road from them. The one (Esso/Exxon) always seems to be the greedy one -- the first to raise prices, the last to lower them even though the other two stations just down the road are in constant lock-step.

Occasionally when I see that the Esso is "being greedy", I will drive up to the pump, make a big show of reading the pump price, looking back toward the price at the other two stations, then drive right back OUT of the Esso and over to one of the other two. I hope the manager sees this and gets the point, though I doubt it will change anything.

8. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Don't forget teleworking! Plus, people could even *gasp* drive slower. Like, maybe 65 mph instead of 80. Ridiculous, I know...

I just don't want to hear anyone who drives a large SUV complaining about gas prices. They use more gas than some of us, which drives up the demand (and prices) for all of us. If you "need" an SUV, fine. Just don't complain about physics.

Although, sometimes it is fun to complain at the pumps -- within earshot of SUV drivers -- "Thirty bucks to fill up my car! What a rip!"

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

All your doing is wasting gas. The independent gas station owner buys gas from whatever oil company he is affiliated with (Shell, Mobile, Marathon, etc.,) and most likely adjusts his prices depending on the price of the gas he gets from the tanker trunk. I used to work at a Marathon station and there were 2 other Marathon's with in a 2 mile radius and each station got charged a different price when the tanker trunk rolled around. My gas station was closest to the highway on/off ramps so we go charged the most. The 2nd station was on a main North/South state road so they got charged a bit less than us and the 3rd station was closer to the center of town (so mainly local traffic) and they got charged the least.

Lethal

10. After G thread starter macrumors 68000

After G

I'm interested in how far people would drive to save money. As it is I drive an extra two miles to save 15 cents a gallon on gas. When is it not worth it? (in terms of extra miles, tire wear, etc.)

And it's interesting about what you said for the Marathon station ... I currently go to a 76 that's right next to a freeway on-ramp (when I have to fill up) and they consistently have the lowest prices.

11. vniow macrumors G4

The generally rule of thumb is that if its a mass forwarded email or one that tells you to forward it to everyone you know, or its a bulletin on Myspace or whatever then it is almost always bullmilk.

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I only buy gas once a month and just go to the place that's closest to my house.

13. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I've heard that it's something like $.50 US per mile to operate an automobile...but I don't know how true it is. Seems like a good guess. :)

If that is the case...then you'd need to put in at least 6.67 gallons of gas each time you go out there (if you're saving 15¢) just to make the 2 mile (round)trip worth it. That is only including car expenses, and not the cost of your time, for instance.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't usually fill up that early in the week so I most likely wont be buying any gas on the 15th, but if a lot of people do it it may be a good time to do it so I don't have to wait for anyone.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

My "wasting gas" comment was because notjustjay would drive to a certain gas station then leave w/o filling up to protest that stations higher prices.

The gas station near my work is near an on ramp too and its typically cheapest around. Who knows how they crunch the numbers though to see what to charge where. I live in Los Angeles now when I worked at the Marathon that was back in Indiana.

Lethal

16. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

I believe that .50c/mile number includes fixed costs like insurance (which doesn't vary for miles drive.) A more realistic number is probably a bit under half that (for only variable costs, like gas, wear and tare, depreciation associated only with miles, not for depreciation that occurs naturally over time etc). <i'm assuming its a sedan 4-6 cylinder, ie something that is getting over 20mpg in the real world :)

17. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'm only driving an extra block, so I don't feel too bad about it. I know that in all likelihood it's not going to amount to much, but it makes me feel better. :) And sometimes I will legitimately pull in with the intention of getting gas at Esso (I get points worth free car washes) and then realize after pulling in that, oh, the station a block away is 3 cents cheaper per liter (~11 cents per gallon). May as well...

Unless these tankers are pulling in multiple times a day, I don't see that pricing as an excuse. If I wait long enough, the Esso eventually does drop its price to match the other guys. I don't see why they couldn't all do it at the same time, other than the late-adjusting station is hoping to milk out as much as it can before finally dropping the prices to match.

Actually, that is an interesting question, because often you do see several gas stations all within a few blocks of each other, with very different prices. It's interesting that there are still lots of folks filling up at the pricier station, even though they could have saved a few bucks with 10 seconds of extra driving. Did they not realize (and will kick themselves moments after they pull out?) Or is it just not worth the bother? At what point is it not worth it to someone to seek out the better price?

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The 2007 IRS milage allowance for business use of a car is $0.485/mile, which is inclusive of fuel, maintenance, wear-and-tear, insurance and depreciation. It's a pretty good rule of thumb for average costs of operating a car -- you'd have a heck of a time coming up with a better figure without keeping very close track of expenses over a long period of time.

As for the 15th -- yeah, stick it to the man. :rolleyes:

But whatever you do, don't slow down, drive less or buy a more fuel-efficient car.

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The only way that something like this would work is "don't buy from ___ for all of June, go elsewhere instead". Even then, not everyone will participate.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Move to a major city with good public transportation. I haven't owned a car in over 8 years and I love it.

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

They have better mass transit than the U.S., which is subsidized by much higher gasoline taxes than we pay. We need more transportation alternatives, but they are coming only very slowly. Just last week, Governor Arnold began a quiet campaign to kill the planned bullet train between San Diego and San Francisco.

FWIW, I rode the fairly new and much maligned Los Angeles subway (Metro Red Line) yesterday. I was surprised at how people are riding these trains now, compared to the first time I rode them a few years ago, shortly after they went into service.

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'd love it if LA's subway was more functional than it is. But it's not and probably never will be. At least on the job I'm working now I can ride my bike to work. Nothing gets you alert faster in the morning than biking in LA traffic. :D

The frequency depends on how busy the station is. An Exxon station I used to live down the block from I swear had a tanker truck there every 2-3 days where as the station I worked at in Indiana the tanker only came around about once a week, IIRC. The longer the station has to wait between tanker trunks probably the longer the owner will hold out to change prices because he's trying to protect the already pathetically slim margins on gas prices as long as he can. At the station I used to work at $20 of stolen gas (someone driving off w/o paying) could pretty much wreck the gas profits for that day.

I'm just going on my personal experience here and the owner in question could just be greedy as you say or maybe he just has higher over head costs than the other guys (higher lease, might pay employees more, better quality facilities, etc.,). I just wouldn't be so quick to judge his moral character w/o fulling understanding his business situation though.

For, the price difference has to be petty big for me to make a pointed effort to go to one gas station over another. I usually buy 10-11 gallons of gas every 7-10 days and saving 2 or 3 cents a gallon really isn't a motivating factor for me. I'm not going to jump for joy because I payed $33.80 to fill up instead of $34.00. Now if it's a 10-15 cent difference per gallon, like it typically is at a station near my work, then I'll make a pointed effort to swing by and fill up at lunch time when it's less crowded.

Lethal

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It seems pretty functional, if you're going where it's going, which combined with the Blue and Gold and Metrolink lines, is quite a few places now. It will be even better when they complete the west side extension (all the way to Santa Monica, I believe).