Gas prices continue to rise in L.A. County, surpassing $4 per gallon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 15, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://www.foxla.com/news/local-new...PSTIWWYD6CwrIgxey45217S1fg1AT8w2Vp2FASYe3eRbw
    it's nasty.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow! I wonder how much the price is affected by California’s environmental and tax policies.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://fee.org/articles/californias-soaring-gas-taxes-arent-even-going-to-the-roads/

4. raqball macrumors 68000

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well if we're not gonna kill all the farting cows and ground all aircraft then the hard working people of California are just gonna have to bear more of the burden in order to save the planet.

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Sorry guys I don’t feel sorry for you one bit. We are paying £1.22 a litre here which is $1.49 more expensive if we amount that to paying by the gallon. You guys have had very cheap fuel for far too long!! ;)

7. raqball macrumors 68000

I am reminded of this about people fleeing CA...

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose...-says-sky-high-u-haul-rates-reflect-mass.html

The difference can be an order of magnitude. The cost of renting a 26-foot U-Haul truck from San Jose to Las Vegas is about $1,990, according to Mark Perry, a scholar with the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think-tank. The cost of the same journey, headed the opposite direction? $121.

Similarly, it'll cost you more than 10 times as much to go from San Jose to Phoenix — $1,301 — as vice versa. Contemplating a move from San Jose to Austin? You'll pay $4,320, compared to $1,053 if the journeys were reversed.

It all comes down to simple supply-and-demand economics, Perry said. So many U-Hauls are leaving the Bay Area on one-way trips, there's a shortage here.

[​IMG]

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yeah but don't most of you guys drive little **** econo-boxes that you fill up every 2 weeks? The struggle is real to fill up a 23 gallon F-150.

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

True, apart from the time needed to fill up lol. We tend to drive European cars that are powerful but well engineered to give good mpg. We’ve also had greener laws for a lot longer than you guys as we’ve not had creationists running our countries and denying climate change lol. Still, we pay more for fuel here because we seem to pay more for everything, including higher prices for goods compared to the rest of Europe which is frustrating.

10. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I think we could say the same about the US if we all based our perceptions off of NYC and LA. On this side of the Atlantic as well, a lot of people who live outside of large towns and cities drive 4WD vehicles with 100 litre+ fuel tanks that get as low as 25mpg (yes we buy fuel in litres then drive in miles and measure fuel economy in mpg - don't ask). Indeed a lot of people in large towns and cities also do, just incase there's leaves on the road or something.

11. cube macrumors P6

It seems many people in the US will never learn that it is not true that just because petrol is cheap at some point, it's OK to buy a gas guzzler.

12. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

This is only half right.

The power part is correct, but at the cost of emissions.

The US has pretty strict emissions standards, more strict than an equivalent model on your side of the pond.

You guys are ahead for most other environmental and pollution protections, but the US has had strong emission standards for a while.

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I’m aware of that hence why VAG got penalised so strongly during the emissions scandal in the US. You guys got compensation and I got a Thermos mug and a pen when my car was remapped.

14. Altis macrumors 68030

Are you trying to flaunt a higher cost of living? :p

15. Rigby macrumors 601

Don't care. I drive electric and my rate has actually gone down a little recently due to increased competition in power generation. :p

16. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Let's see ... an Evoque and an Escape. My neighbor has two vans. My other neighbor has a Raptor. My other neighbor ... has a Mini and I think it's a vette - older model always under cover.

So econo-boxes? Not really. The top selling soccer mom vehicle out here is an Escalade, Navigator or Audi.

17. VictorTango777, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019

VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

I don't understand these complaints.

Are the guys who are complaining also the same guys who are perfectly ok seeing giant tech companies move into areas like LA, SF, NY and driving up home prices and rents? Have no problem seeing people getting priced out of their neighborhoods and people who can't save enough to buy a house due to skyrocketing home prices and rents, because "they should either move out or go get better jobs"? And now these same "not my problem" guys are complaining about how much they have to pay for gas? What happened to "it's a free market and whatever is not illegal is ok"?

18. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

That's still pretty cheap gas you got there.

In Germany it's about $6.4 per gallon with way lower income than the bay area.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The other difference is that Californians are richer so get charged more.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Depends what you’re talking about. When it comes to conventional pollution (non CO2) historically speaking the US has had far more stringent restrictions. Diesel and gasoline cars have equal emissions requirements unlike the EU. Most UK diesels wouldn’t pass US emissions inspection.

You can argue there were political-corporate reasons for that, which likely has some truth.

I think it’s also important to consider the US is very different place than a lot of Europe. We don’t have the same public transit infrastructure or dense housing in a lot of places. But we are leading the world in reducing gross CO2 emissions (as we should be being so large and industrialized). In the past 10-15 years I’d say the average mpg of our cars is 1/3 better, without any sacrifice of power.

Our infrastructure and society was built around cheap energy. To double gas prices up to $7-8/gal or whatever Europe pays these days would be extremely detrimental to our economy, ergo the world economy.

21. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

San Jose is my hometown and where I continue to live. Thus far I refuse to be run out of my hometown because of cost of living, but I’ve had many friends and family members who don’t share that view and they got out. It seems like every month they are bulldozing my childhood memories to build yet another retail condo space for what is quickly becoming an unofficial colony of Asia. Despite all that there isn’t anywhere else I’d rather live except maybe the Santa Cruz to Monterey costal areas but that’s high cost of living coupled with few job opportunities.

22. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Swung thru that area for the first time in decades on my way north a few months back. I stopped at a set of outlet malls in south SJ and was really surprised at the large Asian population.

23. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I don’t have a general problem with Asian people. I have a problem with the tech industry feeling they all need to move to the Bay Area to work. And beyond the tech industry I can tell you from personal work experience that it isn’t just Central and South America who isn’t sending over their best and brightest. When it comes to immigrants, legal or not, it’s not Mexicans who are the top concern here.

24. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Y'all get better quality gas/petrol than the ethanol diluted crap get get here. Last time I was in Europe, the lowest octane gas I saw was 96 up to 103 octane. What we get in the States is 87 (cheap stuff) up to 93 (premium) octane. AND they mix in engine gumming ethanol into our gas, 10% of that crap.:mad: Gawd, I wish I could get pure gasoline to put in my car.

25. raqball macrumors 68000

It's supply and demand.. They can't keep u-hauls in CA as more are fleeing than moving in. This creates the additional expense of moving empty trucks into the state to keep up with demand.

If you think everyone in CA is richer then I am going to take a stab and guess you've never set foot in the state...