Gates wants to beat Apple, Google from behind

dloomer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
One difference between now and the days of Novell, Lotus, and WordPerfect is that these days there seems to be a lot of backlash -- Microsoft is synonymous with bloatware, ugly interfaces, and things that don't work -- and people are threfore sick of MS. The age when everything Bill Gates touched turned to gold is probably already past us.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Let's put back the part of the interview that was cut from publication. ;)

Gates: At any point in our history, we've had competitors who were better at doing something. Novell was the best at file servers. Lotus was the best at spreadsheets. WordPerfect was the best at word processing. ...
... So we hit them over the head, broke their knees, stole their technology and ran them out of business. This allowed us to sell our inferior product at prices higher than what they were charging. And as long as stupid Republicans are in Washington, nobody will even question our tactics, let alone try to punish us for them. Nobody will be able to stop us when we release our hordes of killer flying weasels to take over the world! Bwahahahahahahaha!

Seattle Post: What?

Gates: Oh, nothing important. You can edit that out, right?

Seattle Post: No problem, Mr. Gates. Anything for the man behind the company that keeps Seattle on the map.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
shamino said:
Let's put back the part of the interview that was cut from publication. ;)

... So we hit them over the head, broke their knees, stole their technology and ran them out of business. This allowed us to sell our inferior product at prices higher than what they were charging. And as long as stupid Republicans are in Washington, nobody will even question our tactics, let alone try to punish us for them. Nobody will be able to stop us when we release our hordes of killer flying weasels to take over the world! Bwahahahahahahaha!

Seattle Post: What?

Gates: Oh, nothing important. You can edit that out, right?

Seattle Post: No problem, Mr. Gates. Anything for the man behind the company that keeps Seattle on the map.
If this was the type of forum where one could give a poster props or karma points or heck, money, or voted to the top... you sir would get the big prize! Your post = brilliant!

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
Photorun said:
If this was the type of forum where one could give a poster props or karma points or heck, money, or voted to the top... you sir would get the big prize! Your post = brilliant!

Are you saying I don't have to send a check to Macrumors every time I post ??? hold on I need to call the bank... :p

I wish Gates would stop posturing and make products that work.

Silencio

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
dloomer said:
One difference between now and the days of Novell, Lotus, and WordPerfect is that these days there seems to be a lot of backlash -- Microsoft is synonymous with bloatware, ugly interfaces, and things that don't work -- and people are threfore sick of MS. The age when everything Bill Gates touched turned to gold is probably already past us.
The difference between now and then is that Novell, Lotus, and WordPerfect were all run by complete idiots that basically handed victory to Microsoft on a silver platter, whereas Apple and Google by all accounts have smart, focused management teams in place.

Microsoft almost always loses when they go up against companies that know what they're doing. They lost to Oracle in the enterprise database sector; they lost to Adobe in the imaging market way back when, but it'll be interesting to see how Round 2 shakes out with their PDF competitor, Metro.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Silencio said:
Microsoft almost always loses when they go up against companies that know what they're doing. They lost to Oracle in the enterprise database sector; they lost to Adobe in the imaging market way back when, but it'll be interesting to see how Round 2 shakes out with their PDF competitor, Metro.

No doubt. Just look at Palm Inc. Could a company do any worse of a job competing against MS? The only problem with Google is I forsee Billy boy pulling a Netscape against them. What MS can't compete against legally they use slimeball tactics by integrating it into Windows. It will happen again. Just watch.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Silencio said:
[...] it'll be interesting to see how Round 2 shakes out with their PDF competitor, Metro.
If you ask me, PDF is a known, well-documented format supported on all three major platforms (Windows, OS X, Linux) that's there to stay.

Who'd want to switch to "Metro", a newcomer made by Microsoft, only available for Windows Vista? (or even just Windows period).

PDF is meant to SHARE documents and it does the job pretty well. Metro is a step backward. Microsoft should try and push Adobe to extend the PDF format instead (push them to create a group or whatever, Adobe/Apple/Microsoft/Sun/etc to regulate the format).

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
SiliconAddict said:
The only problem with Google is I forsee Billy boy pulling a Netscape against them. What MS can't compete against legally they use slimeball tactics by integrating it into Windows. It will happen again. Just watch.
Sigh. Unfortunately, I would bet on your prediction if this were Vegas. BUT, Google is a part of the American lexicon and that will help against the MS onslaught. When my Mom says, "Let me Google it for you," I know they are doing well. When my Mom says, "Let me MSN it for you," I'll know when to start crying.
;)

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Yvan256 said:
If you ask me, PDF is a known, well-documented format supported on all three major platforms (Windows, OS X, Linux) that's there to stay.

Who'd want to switch to "Metro", a newcomer made by Microsoft, only available for Windows Vista? (or even just Windows period).

PDF is meant to SHARE documents and it does the job pretty well. Metro is a step backward. Microsoft should try and push Adobe to extend the PDF format instead (push them to create a group or whatever, Adobe/Apple/Microsoft/Sun/etc to regulate the format).
Speaking of PDFs, we recently had a client at work who used MS Publisher and how wanted to send us a Publisher formated document for printing. We told her as long as she sent us each page as a PDF we would get it printed for her. ;) :D

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
shamino said:
And as long as stupid Republicans are in Washington, nobody will even question our tactics, let alone try to punish us for them.
Oh yes, I'm sure as soon as a Democrat gets into office, their first thing will be to probe M$. Whatever.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
xtbfx said:
Oh yes, I'm sure as soon as a Democrat gets into office, their first thing will be to probe M$. Whatever.
As much as I despise the Clinton administration, they were investigating and prosecuting MS. This administration hasn't done a thing, despite their blantant contempt for anti-trust laws and the consent decrees that they supposedly signed.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Gates: Software in general, whether it was from Microsoft or somebody else, was not set up for an environment where all the computers were connected together. So it's not like there was some software that had this security capability and our software did not.
Oh come on. Did he say that with a straight face? He can't possibly believe that...he's supposed to be really smart....

--Eric

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Eric5h5 said:
Gates: Software in general, whether it was from Microsoft or somebody else, was not set up for an environment where all the computers were connected together. So it's not like there was some software that had this security capability and our software did not.
Oh come on. Did he say that with a straight face? He can't possibly believe that...he's supposed to be really smart....
Wow. I missed that line. And Gates couldn't be more wrong.

IBM's SNA network architecture has been interconnecting mainframes since 1974.

IP (what the Internet uses) was first standardized in 1981 (in RFC 791) and is based on work from the 70's.

The IBM PC-LAN program (where the NetBIOS and SMB/CIFS protocols at the core of Microsoft networking comes from) dates back to the early 80's.

UNIX (in its many incarnations) has had IP networking almost from the time of its invention. And students started hacking it about an hour later. Today's security standards grew out of that period. UNIX is secure today because it solved a lot of the difficult problems over 20 years ago.

IBM/Microsoft had networking for just as long - first PC-LAN style networking as an add-on to DOS, and (with the introduction of Windows For Workgroups, in 1992) later bundled with the OS. Then TCP/IP, shortly afterwards.

The important thing to remember is that TCP/IP, networking, and the related application servers were all a part of Windows before any 32-bit version of Windows shipped (the first of which being NT 3.1, in 1993).

The fact that Windows has networking for over 10 years, and that UNIX had TCP/IP networks (and network hackers) for twice as long disproves Gates' statements. Either they didn't know or didn't care about security. Either one is inexcusable.

FWIW, Apple's networking history dates back to before the Mac. AppleNet was conceived of in 1983 for the Lisa, although it didn't go anywhere. AppleTalk was first bundled with the Mac Plus in 1986. TCP/IP was bundled with System 7.5 in 1994.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
shamino said:
As much as I despise the Clinton administration, they were investigating and prosecuting MS. This administration hasn't done a thing, despite their blantant contempt for anti-trust laws and the consent decrees that they supposedly signed.
They were going to looking into MS ,but then bush got bored, so he attacked iraq and no he has is hands tied :D

I'm give mr.bush risk for his bday then he can attack as many people as he wants. :p

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
treblah said:
Sigh. Unfortunately, I would bet on your prediction if this were Vegas. BUT, Google is a part of the American lexicon and that will help against the MS onslaught. When my Mom says, "Let me Google it for you," I know they are doing well. When my Mom says, "Let me MSN it for you," I'll know when to start crying.
;)
sure if you open a browser you can just go to google.com. But what happens when its integrated into the OS. Ease of use and all. People are sheep. As soon as you integrate something into an OS they will simply use that. And as soon as they see that searches can be done from inside windows out onto msnsearch. I think Google's stranglehold on the search world will start to corrode. Also keep in mind that the term Google could become the Kleenex of the search world. The Pocket PC is starting to outpace Palm sales and I see Pocket PC devices all over the place from PDA's to smart phones, to PDA phones yet I still get people asking me how I like my Palm. Just because a name is associated with a brand doesn't mean it will always win out. :(

macnulty

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2003
Rehoboth Beach, De
treblah said:
;)
MS should call it Windows Vegas not Vista. Too ***** real.

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
xtbfx said:
Seriously. And I'm about as liberal as they come, but I've gotta say that the Republican-bashing had no place in this forum.

Then again, I also take issue with your signature. :confused: I could just as easily have a signature that says, "Mel Gibson Hates Jews".

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
SiliconAddict said:
No doubt. Just look at Palm Inc. Could a company do any worse of a job competing against MS? The only problem with Google is I forsee Billy boy pulling a Netscape against them. What MS can't compete against legally they use slimeball tactics by integrating it into Windows. It will happen again. Just watch.
With anything else, I would agree with you. But I am going to disagree with you on this one.

Google has such a flare and following to it, I would say it beats out the Mac Cult. Google is accessible by all and works really really well. There is practically no way that MSN can combat with it. I just don't see it.

I don't see Apple or Microsoft as the future of computing, I see Google as the future (and even though I will be mocked and stoned for this one, I am not counting Yahoo! out either).

As for the Article, the only thing I think I agree with is this:
Well, the economy is a very complex thing. We sell way more of our software overseas than we sell internally. That is, the U.S. disproportionately gets our R&D activity relative to the amount of software we sell in the U.S. And so, why has Microsoft ever been able to hire people? Because of world trade. So if people don't believe in letting other countries get rich and buy more U.S. products, if trade liberalization freezes up or goes backwards, that's a very bad thing for an export-oriented company like Microsoft.

We like the idea that China is developing their economy. They've taken more people out of poverty than any country in history over just even the last 10 years. We view those as a good thing. It does mean the world is getting a lot more competitive. We will have competitors arising out of these Asian countries. That's fine.

So I think the advances in the world economy largely have been positive, and we see that in the increasing sales in Asia, and without those our hiring growth couldn't be maintained.
1st rule of Economics: Trade makes everyone better off.