Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Hi all,

I'm contemplating getting the Gateway DC-T50 digicam, because it's unbelievably cheap (I guess they're clearing out all of their consumer electronics).

I was wondering, though, is it compatible with iPhoto? Gateway cameras aren't listed on Apple's compatibility page, but I was wondering if someone here knows first-hand whether it works or not.

Thanks!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i highly doubt it will work. but just get a compatible card reader and your set. my friend just got that camera for next to nothing. it was like a 5.25mp camera for dirt cheap. i kept trying to justify my $500 purchase of my s500 canon elph. i would still rather have my canon over a gateway. but for price to performance ratio that gateway can't be beat.

iJon

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
iJon said:
i highly doubt it will work. but just get a compatible card reader and your set. my friend just got that camera for next to nothing. it was like a 5.25mp camera for dirt cheap. i kept trying to justify my $500 purchase of my s500 canon elph. i would still rather have my canon over a gateway. but for price to performance ratio that gateway can't be beat.

iJon

iJon -

i'm pretty sure your canon will prove to be worth the price... cheapo companies will keep on pushing one number (# of pixels) that majority of novice consumers will understand - but isn't at all indicative of the quality or the features. (sounds like some computer chip company a while back, doesn't it? :D) for the same price, if you will not be printing out large photos, a 2 to 3 MP full-featured camera is a lot more useful than a cheapo 5 MP. but majority of the public won't bite - "oohh, this one is 5 MP for the same price, it must be much better!"

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
My sister recently got a Gateway camera (I forget the model) and it seems to work perfectly fine with iPhoto.

Matt

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
jxyama said:
iJon -

i'm pretty sure your canon will prove to be worth the price... cheapo companies will keep on pushing one number (# of pixels) that majority of novice consumers will understand - but isn't at all indicative of the quality or the features. (sounds like some computer chip company a while back, doesn't it? :D) for the same price, if you will not be printing out large photos, a 2 to 3 MP full-featured camera is a lot more useful than a cheapo 5 MP. but majority of the public won't bite - "oohh, this one is 5 MP for the same price, it must be much better!"
oh i know, i love my canon, on my 3rd digital elph from them. some of the features i love is the panoramic shots you can do. then use their software to stitch them together. i have made some awesome quicktime vr's from my trips with. they are on my site.

iJon

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
iJon said:
oh i know, i love my canon, on my 3rd digital elph from them. some of the features i love is the panoramic shots you can do. then use their software to stitch them together. i have made some awesome quicktime vr's from my trips with. they are on my site.

iJon

yeah, i have the s230 - 3 MP version. i also use the panorama mode quite often - it's great. it's getting quite old, but i am yet to find another camera that can take movie clips at 640x480 (with sounds!). it's limited to 30 seconds at a time, but that turns out to be plenty long for most clips... it looks much better than the usual 320x240 (or smaller) clips for sure...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
ill tell you what i do, its pretty cheap but i dont care. i had the s230. i think i broke it cozumel i think from being drunk and falling over or getting sand it. well i bought the service plan and took it back to best buy, payed an extra 100 dollars and they gave me the s500. i bought the service plan for it. now in about a year ill take it back and say it broke and get whatever else they have out. a little unethical but its their policy.

iJon

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
ha ha, i think i like my camera too much to do that..! :)

i did purchase the protection plan, not sure why. that was one time (and will remain the only time) best buy managed to sucker me in. that said, my battery is holding less and less charge and i have a week-long road trip to seattle coming up. it's probably the time to try to get a brand new battery out of them - the guy who sold me the coverage said batteries are covered - but i somehow remain skeptical until they actually give me a new battery...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.