Gave my wife my 4 - first time setup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maverick22, Oct 24, 2012.

1. maverick22 macrumors 6502

I got a 5 and gave my wife a 4. The Target rep was great and already put my wife's contacts, pics, etc. on this phone now. I was going to do a first-time backup for her now (it's been a couple weeks since we switched phones), but I'm getting "set up as new phone" or "restore from backup of" (my older phones).

She is happy the way her phone is now. I don't want to delete anything. If I do "setup as new phone", will it delete anything on her phone?

Thanks in advance.

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Plug it in and select 'Back up to this computer". Nothing to do with restore or set up as new

3. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sorry I didn't see that option. Where is that?

Now that I made this thread, it just made me think. I haven't setup my new 5 I've been using for 2 weeks. The same rep put all contacts/pics/etc. on my new 5 as well. I don't want to "setup as new" or "restore." I'm happy the way it is, but I know I need to set it up so that I can backup.

4. XboxMySocks, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Hey mate,

5. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

??

See, you're showing me a phone that's already "setup," correct? Our phones have never been "associated" with itunes yet, so it is asking 2 options: (1) setup as new; (2) restore from backup

6. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Well that is odd. How did you set up the phones without itunes ?

7. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

When we first bought the phones, the rep at Target transferred contacts/info from our old phones to the new ones (well, new for me; hand me down to wife) via icloud and the little machine. We have never come home and plugged our phons into PC and setup with itunes.

8. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

bump....anyone?

So what if I already have all my pics and contacts and am happy with how my phone is before I even do an initial setup? Does "setting up as new phone" delete everything?

How can I go about being able to back up my phone without deleting everything? I'd rather not restore from an old setting.

thanks

9. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I believe your best bet would be to back up to iCloud, restore as a new phone then sync your phone with iCloud again, it'll push most of the important things back onto your phone. Apps and such can be synced via iTunes

10. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha thanks again, XboxMySocks! You seem to be the only one replying. I appreciate it. I was thinking icloud as well. I haven't used it much and don't like to rely on it. Sharing an account caused a massive headache...long story...so I just like to rely on icloud as little as possible. That may be the route I have to go though.

----------

Forgive my ignorance again, if you do "setup as new", how do you get your apps synced back thru Itunes?

11. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yeah I'd have to say get a separate account, unless you have +5 GB of storage (paid iCloud). Back them up and then set up as new through iTunes & after you turn on iCloud again it'll push about 99% of your previous iPhone things (save for apps, text messages, music, photos.)

The apps will be on your computer, or on your iTunes account as purchases. Simply re-sync them or if you deleted them off your comp, re-download them.

PS. You're very welcome ^_^