Gave serial number Apple support says tmobile phone is locked!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shankar2, Sep 24, 2013.

1. shankar2 macrumors 6502

Hi, I managed to get the serial number of my new iphone 5s tmobile (contract free).

I called up Apple care and they said this phone with my serial number is locked!

They also said I'd have to contact tmobile to unlock it!

So I guess I'd have to return it and buy the UNLOCKED Iphone 5c instead.

----------

I got the new serial number from supportprofile.apple.com btw. The unit is not yet received!

2. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

Did you buy the phone from Apple or T-Mobile?

3. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

use this link to check your imei to see if its unlocked:
    http://iphoneimei.info/

I will GUARANTEE u it is

5. DarkSel macrumors regular

Apple will not be able to tell you the sim lock status of your phone only through serial number. You would need the IMEI.

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Their people don't have a clue. It's not locked (for about the 150th time). Simply borrow a friends AT&T model and swap the SIMS.

7. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi I called applecare again and this time I got a knowledgeable person!

He said there is no activation policy in their database (unlocked or locked) until I activate the iphone!

So we'd just have to wait for the actual phone to arrive and sync to itunes and check.

8. Akack macrumors 6502a

If you did buy the T-Mob 5S/5C direct from Apple then it is UNLOCKED.

Just got my TMob contract free (aka UNLOCKED) from the Apple Store today.

I heard at least 2 conversations while waiting in line when a customer asked if the Tmob 5S was unlocked or locked and each time the Apple employee told the customer it's locked to the carrier....so uninformed and Apple's website is unclear about this as well.

See my pic: I plugged the 5S with the INCLUDED T-Mobile sim into iTunes and immediately the "congrats, your iPhone has been unlocked." Yay everyone is happy!!!

Attached Files:

9. RustyDamis macrumors newbie

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

11. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

thats for AT&T...should read prior to recommending

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

I fully understood it is a T-mobile phone. My error was that I incorrectly thought that swiftunlocks handles t-mobile iphones.

Consider checking your assumptions before posting snarky replies. A simple "swiftunlocks only handles AT&T" would have been quite sufficient.

13. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

trust me had I said "Swiftunlocks only handles AT&T" someone would have posted something else, so its best you correct your statement than me going on to prove other things, anyway no hard feelings just wanted you to make a note of it, and they do offer T-Mobile unlocking however it takes 10-25days and costs around $115 (you can make account with them and find out)

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

No need for me to correct a statement; my prior post was a question/suggestion and has been more than adequately answered in subsequent posts.

15. FlyUnlock.com macrumors member

FlyUnlock.com

You should call T-Mobile. They should unlock it as long as you paid full price.
    There is still an option to unlock it by a 3rd party website/company, but you will not get under $90.