Gave the wife my old iPad, she got to keep my apps!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DoctorDragonmaw, Mar 21, 2011.

1. DoctorDragonmaw macrumors newbie

While this may be common knowledge, I just have to share in case anybody else is in a similar boat.

My iPad2 came in today and, after backing up my first generation unit, I synced the new model and handed off the old one to my wife. She re-named it, set it up to sync on her own laptop and, after all was said and done, all of my apps synced with her computer, along with all of her own apps.

I have a considerable number (almost 32GB) of applications and thought she would lose access to them once she synced it over to her account. I am supremely jazzed, since now she doesn't have to spend anymore money and we both get access to the great apps I've collected.

Movies and music did not transfer, however images did. She has a separate Apple ID and .Mac account.

I am hoping its not a bug :)

2. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

its normal. apple lets you redownload apps that you sign into. All the apps I have on my iPhone are also on my girlfriend's iPod touch and my sister's iPhone 3Gs. Great perk!

3. redout macrumors member

Cool - so how do I transfer my girlfriends paid apps from her iPod touch to my iPhone 4 ?

4. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Did you restore the iPad 1 to factory settings before you gave it to your wife?

Or did she simply sync your iPad 1, with all the data, to her laptop with different data and they both merged?

5. Applenewstoday macrumors regular

Applenewstoday

If your using the same account, just simply download the apps you like. You won't be charged for it if she already paid for them.

6. redout macrumors member

Ok so I just sign into the store on my iPhone 4 using her apple id and then download whatever paid apps she has - brilliant :)

7. DoctorDragonmaw thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't wipe it (I know where she lives -- I don't care if she has my personal information ;). We use the same credit card).

I just gave it to her, she synced: she went from six or so apps that she had on her phone to six pages of apps.

8. redout macrumors member

That worked a treat.

Cheers ;)

9. epi117 macrumors 6502

You should use the same account, so you can share all music and movies.

We share all our stuff with 3 iphones and 3 ipads.

10. Payton3485 macrumors member

I believe this is already allowed through home sharing on iTunes.

11. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

The only snag with merging apps from multiple iTunes accounts is when you go to update apps.

The App Store App will prompt you to enter the password for the original iTunes account you downloaded the app from.

As long as you have the password, it will proceed and update the apps. It's just a minor additional step you need to take.

As far as I know, it's been this way since the App Store was launched.

12. rick98761 macrumors 6502

Thats exactly why my Wife and I use the same iTunes account.

13. Khryz macrumors 6502a

So for example if my brother has a different iTunes account .. all I need to do is log into his Macbook with my account details .. and he can simply "Buy" an app that I already bought, and it'll download for free?

Then I can de-authorize and log out of his computer once he gets the apps he wants .. but when he updates them he needs my e-mail and password again?