Gave up on Lenovo, MBA 13 on the way.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Newtons Apple, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Newtons Apple, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

512SSD/8MB/i7 MBA to replace my Thinkpad due to poor quality.

Will run Win7 Pro via BootCamp.

Hoping I will not regret not getting a 15" unit but need something smaller for field use and the MBPro is just not required.

How much hard drive do I need to partition for iOS to allow for updates, etc. Will seldom use iOS except for FaceTime.

Also, even though this has the i7 processor, can I expect to get 5-6 hours of on and off use during a typical day.

2. 960design macrumors 68020

Lenovo didn't stand up to our needs either. Congrats on the new MBA 13"!

May I guess that ALL of your professional work REQUIRES windows? I've completely dropped the need for Windows, it was tough but it can be done! We have a 13 step program for you!

Seriously, why do you feel BootCamping is needed?

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

You cannot create an iOS partition, do you mean OSX? If so, you should probably go for a minimum of 20GB, but even if you aren't using it at all, I would allot 30GB.

It depends on what your typical day is, but there is no reason to expect less than 8 hours of actual use. If you are editing photos or any heavy tasks, expect more like 4-6 hours.

4. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I have had a Lenovo ideaPad V570 for the past few years, and it has given me absolutely zero issues, both on Windows 7 when I got it and now 8.1. It's been more reliable than the MBP I had before it.

I bought a MBA last week, but that's due to OS satisfaction, not hardware.

5. Windowsrefugee, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

No regrets...

I gave up my ThinkPad 3 or 4 years ago and have not had a single regret (once MS fixed the memory problem with Office). I have the 2013 i7. The display is perfectly fine for my uses with Office, web, etc. I can run 10-12 hours without a charge so on an ordinary day I do not bring the power brick with me. The only other thing I bring is my MiFi modem, in my pocket, if I do not do expect to have reliable WiFi everywhere I will go. I think you will find the weight, speed and superior battery life a liberating experience.

----------

I gave up my ThinkPad 3 or 4 years ago and have not had a single regret (once MS fixed the memory problem with Office). I have the 2013 i7. The display is perfectly fine for my uses with Office, web, etc. I can run 10-12 hours without a charge so on an ordinary day I do not bring the power brick with me. The only other thing I bring is my MiFi modem, in my pocket, if I do not do expect to have reliable WiFi everywhere I will go. I think you will find the weight, speed and superior battery life a liberating experience.

PS, I have Parallels and Windows, but have NOT had to use either for about 2 years.