Gawker releases 950 pages of Romney's Bain files

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, Aug 23, 2012.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    It's lengthy and complex, so they've gotten a tax lawyer to go through it and explain - that'll take time, however for now as you'd expect they've gleamed that he payrolled The National Enquirer's (yes that dodgy aliens have landed rag) parent company 3.8 million via a loan, he's crafted himself an incredible endless retirement package, he has numerous 'exotic' offshore holdings and of course, a whole bunch of tax dodging tricks.

Article
    http://gawker.com/5936394/the-bain-files-inside-mitt-romneys-tax+dodging-cayman-schemes

Bain Files
    http://gawker.com/5933641

Story is being carried in the UK, we'll see what US networks do with it.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

He'll just blame it on WikiLeaks and ask for Assange's extradition.

BL.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

So far what I have seen appears to be related to ownership interests and transactions that are already in the public record or are available through filings with various secretaries of state. There are bound to be some additional details, but this is unlikely to have any bombshells.

Speaking of Assange and wikileaks, where is "Anonymous"? If any subject or issue was begging for an anonymous hack, Mitt Romney's tax returns and/or his accountants files are just ripe for picking. I know it's a federal offense, but has that stopped them before?

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Anonymous is mostly script kiddies. The best black hat crackers/hackers you don't even know about.

5. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Amazing that the far left is so interested what Romney does with HIS money but totally uninterested in what Obama is doing with OUR money. :rolleyes:

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Just like how the far right was so obsessed with Obama's religion, college grades, and birth certificate?

Welcome to politics.

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I know what he's doing with our money. So do you. So does anyone who bothers to look. Other than black programs and certain funding in secretive programs, the way our government spends money is an open book.

Compare that to Romney who has decided to completely ignore the precedent that his father set where every presidential candidate releases their tax returns. The importance isnt' just that we know what they have made, but to make sure that they aren't going to be subject to blackmail, aren't entangled with foreign entities, etc.

Romney's hiding something, and it's worse than an intern under the desk.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

From what I heard on it from NPR it does not provide much of anything new that was not already known.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Why can't we be concerned with both?

10. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Birthers?

11. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I guess you didn't know that he HAS released tax returns for 2010 and 2011. http://www.taxhistory.org/www/website.nsf/web/presidentialtaxreturns

All because Obama released them all the way back to 2000 doesn't mean he has to. I don't see that being a requirement to become president unlike actually proving you were born in this country.

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

In fairness, Weekly World News was the dodgy "aliens have landed" rag. The National Enquirer is the dodgy "Nicole Kidman's drug-fueled lesbian domestic abuse eating disorder weekend! Super-embarrassing pictures inside!" rag. Same parent company, though. In fact, every US tabloid is the same parent company.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just what PRSI was missing, more birthers.

14. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Obama had proved he was born in the country. Some nuts just wouldn't accept it.

Romney's tax records are important for his integrity. If he's going to run a country and be in charge of budgets, as well as lecturing people on how to live their lives - I'd say integrity was a pretty important part of being President.

Besides, if you got nothing to hide, why not do it.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...the birth certificate was released.

Wow- do we have to go through this dumb s*** again? Seriously?

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

New rule: according to US privacy laws you cannot register for websites if you are under 13 years old. Henceforth, all birthers will be required to publicly provide documentation that they are not posting under false pretenses, and have the legitimacy of those documents accepted by a quorum of PRSI regulars, before they may post.

17. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

One of the many reasons why the economy is in the dumpster is because of the absolutely broken tax code. It needs to be fixed. Mitt Romney abuses it. Why would he fix something that he benefits from? He's not the guy to do it.

To suggest that liberals don't follow the news about what Obama "does with our money" is foolish as well. We know the debt, the stimulus, auto bailouts, etc. We just don't see how Republicans, and especially Romney, would magically fix everything. What would Romney "do with our money?" He hasn't said anything substantive, unless you think cutting Planned Parenthood will solve our debt problems.

Finally, I'm going to assume that from that comment that you think Obama gets too much of "your money." Well here's hoping that you make more than $200,000/year or else Mitt Romney would actually RAISE your taxes. It's absolutely stunning that a rich person has gotten THIS FAR in the election process with a plan to cut taxes on the rich and support that by raising taxes on everyone else. Maybe it's the far-right that is totally uninterested in what Mitt Romney would do with our money?

18. edk99 macrumors 6502a

So you are saying our economy is in the dumpster because of a broken tax code where the government is not receiving enough revenue to sustain itself and NOT that we are spending to much money?

Hey I'm all for a flat tax / fair tax and a much simpler tax code. That would close all these "legal" loopholes reduce the size of the IRS. We wouldn't need 15,000 new IRS agents to chase people down to help pay for Obamacare.

I'm sure John Kerry, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, the Clintons and others used the same loopholes to maximize THEIR money too. Why do you think doing something legal is abusive?

Income tax is only one factor and your forgetting about ALL the other taxes you pay. Get ready for 2013 when everyone gets hit with some of these wonderful taxes from Obamacare http://www.humanevents.com/2012/07/14/top-10-obamacare-taxes-coming-your-way/

As for taxes I feel I pay enough. If you don't feel you pay enough you can always send more money to the government. They won't turn it down.

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Absolutely. History has shown that when income inequality gets too great, far too much wealth ends up sitting stagnant, and the economy falters. Taxes are the pump that circulates money into the engine of economic activity. By the way, when the pump is working effectively and efficiently, the wealthy end up doing better and deficits/debt levels go down. The problem isn't spending, but the fact that the economy contracted.

First, a flat tax/fair tax is anything but flat or fair. Second, the legal loopholes you are talking about probably don't include the ones that the GOP loves. Oil subsidies, estate/gift tax preferential treatment, capital gains rates, etc... One other thing, every penny spent on tax enforcement makes the government money. It's one of the best investments we can make.

I suspect that Romney used the 2009 Amnesty program to legally amend his prior returns reflecting his offshore holdings. Legal, but it would sure look bad. Oh, and no, I'm pretty sure Romney is the first presidential candidate we have ever had that has a Swiss bank account and secret holdings in the Cayman Islands (and elsewhere).

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You are aware that his 2010 return was released incomplete and his 2011 is only an "estimate" as he filed for an extension. What is he hiding?

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

This is a great article, but it fails to discuss the 2009 Amnesty program for foreign held accounts.

NYT Link

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You think they had offshore accounts in the Cayman Islands too? Source?

There is a difference between legal and ethical. Do you think hiding so much money overseas is "believing in America"? Sounds more like believing in the Swiss, or the Cayman Islands then America.

And under Romney, you will pay even more (while he pays less). Are you happy with his tax rate compared to yours? Will you be happy paying for additional tax breaks for the wealthy?

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'm not sure if he's going to get blasted by his base for not releasing information, or applauded for telling the liberal media to stick it.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There are no members of the "far left" here.

25. samiwas macrumors 65816

I sometimes wonder if there is actually just one guy who posts "conservative" posts in PRSI, amongst other forums, under different names. They all sound exactly the same.