Gay ‘cure’ still sought by some therapists

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Mar 26, 2009.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

U.K. study: Sixth of counselors tried to curb patients’ homosexual ‘feelings’

link

Reminds me of the whack-job at our local Christian College.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Even more disturbing is that frontal lobotomies are still legal in the UK.

3. No1451 macrumors 6502

Serious? I had no idea that being gay was a fault! Now I know /sarcasm

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Back in high school we had a guy come and speak who claimed that he was cured from homosexuality. He got married and had kids and stuff, but to do this day I still doubt he actually changed.

Has there ever been someone who did the opposite? Go from being full blown (pardon the pun) heterosexual to homosexual?

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...I don't think anyone's tried that yet. ;)

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

The day someone does that is the day I'll believe gays can be cured :)

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Really? I thought mass reeducation camps were part of The Agenda™. Point 67A, subparagraph 34, right under outlawing Crocs.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh man! You're right! It's right there in The Agenda Handbook™. I feel like such a bad Gay Warrior® now. Thanks for the correction! I won't do it again! :D

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That would depend on your definition of "full blown".

I did have a passenger, some time ago, who's husband divorced her because he found another man. [​IMG]

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's not the same thing. He most likely got married to a woman due to social pressure in the first place.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, hence my point about defining him in the first place.

They had kids, but that's no sure-fire "full-blown". Only means his plumbing works.

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

There is no material evidence on either side to say that the other is wrong.

13. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

x2, who's to say homosexuality is not some type of behavioral disorder? :confused: I'm not saying it is; this is an argument with no proof for either side to stand on. Pointing fingers at the opposition and laughing only makes you look foolish.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Who's to say it's not a disorder? Just the American Psychological Association, that's who. They seem to have adequate studies and proof.

http://www.apa.org/topics/sorientation.html

15. iGary Guest

iGary

There is tons of evidence showing that reparative therapy is harmful.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I had a garden tractor once that had a positive ground.

Maybe it was gay??

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Proof that gays are taking over the world :eek:.

18. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

LOL for each organization that takes one side of this argument, there's plenty more that take the other side. Proof indeed.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No, just different wiring. ;)

20. iGary Guest

iGary

Let's see some credible information from the other side, then.

Onus is on you.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- so now we're denying science? Oh, OK. :rolleyes: BTW- show me PROOF from the "other side" that it's a mental disorder.

Also- you couldn't possibly have read that whole article in that amount of time.

Glad you think this is funny, it's not. :mad:

Why do that when you can post and run?

22. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

What would constitute "material evidence" in this case? I'm not even asking for the evidence itself. I'd just like to know what your standard is.

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Since you're obviously aware of what constitutes medical evidence, then please explain why it has long been removed from DSM IV? If you're not going to back up your claims to others or are not interested in this thread's topic, then it might be better for you if you do not post in this thread.

24. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You know, I never bothered to follow up, so can't claim any success rate, but I have in the past helped a few straight guys when they needed to test, shall we say, if the straight or gay way was the way forward.

;)

25. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I wouldn't mind that on the straight agenda. I propose an alliance :cool:

It's all about perspective, you see? How can a ground be positive if its the reference? Now, extrapolate that to an appropriate metaphor.

Human sexuality is a complex thing. However, out all of the normalities, abnormalities, deviations, variations, etc. (socially acceptable or not), homosexuality is the only one we seem to want to "cure" by completing reversing. From what I know, the ones that are deemed completely socially unacceptable (and usually criminal) are never sought to be "redirected" to a normal heterosexual urge because we believe the urge that exists is malignant and needs to be treated. I can't think of a good case where you could argue that homosexuality is a malignant manifestation when its partakers are two consenting adults who are in a mutually beneficial and agreeable situation. To say this is a problem worth curing is to ignore the evidence that besides this, everything points to a perfectly normal and functional individual (save maybe some self-esteem from social persecution). The very same variations in preferences and personalities in heterosexual couples is the reason marriage is more than "Mine fits in yours, let's get married." Why would you seek to "cure" this condition? Is it a matter of comfort and convenience? Is it, as a parent, a move to restore confidence in your own parenting skills? The plain and simple truth is that if someone lives by the law, lives a happy life in their own eyes, and isn't ruled out of their gords by a psychologist, they are a functional member of society and what they do behind closed doors is their business.