Gay 8th Grader Posting YouTube Video that...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rican, Dec 4, 2011.

1. rican macrumors 6502

rican

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

3. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i wanna goto school with him, see what they say then. break their jaws rendering their mouths shut.

ps. ive never seen so many comments coming in! like 5 every second.

4. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Strong kid. Kudos.

I hope he finds comfort in him being a better human being than his abusers.

5. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

This kid should learn martial arts. Not necessarily to fight his bullies but to make him physically and emotionally stronger and to get out all that frustration. It's also really hard to bully someone who can kick your ass.

I'm not saying bullying is okay, but it is natural for children to engage in and some form of it will always exist. If they are not laying a hand on him, they will shun him instead. You can't legislate kids into being "nice" to each other. Students will identify the weakest students and they will be bullied until that perception changes. It's up to this kid to figure out how not to be bullied.

I have been bullied before too, in first grade and third grade, both after starting at a new school. I was very small for my age and I had no idea how to fight (I slapped and pulled hair), but I had a lot of anger in me and when a group of boys surrounded me to do whatever it is they were going to do, I always fought back. After just one or two altercations, they stopped. I changed schools in third grade and had the biggest bully walk over and knock me down as a welcome on the first day. Everyone was shocked I got up and immediately tackled him especially since I was literally half his size. Some people then told me, Watch out because he wants to fight you now. But it never happened. It was almost like I ceased to exist. Of course I wouldn't fight that guy now. I saw him at the end of high school and he was huge and shredded with muscle. haha

6. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

I know right, poor thing can't even spell.

7. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I agree. See, there's a controversy here in Québec as a 15 year-old girl has commited suicide due to constant bullying. The society in general has complained that bulliying is a problem. Mike Ward, a normally controversial comedian, has posted a video in which he says the following line (free translation):
    But what can we do? I'm pretty sure bullying is already illegal, it is frowned upon in schools. Kids have no sense of morals or ethics (they're starting to develop it), and they have pretty bad hormonal changes that can affect their behavior. Not a good combo at all. People are blaming the government for bullying, what a load of BS.

I'm not supporting bullies at all, I've been bullied myself. But I don't think there is much to do. I've met people who have bullied me in the past and I wasn't bitter. They have matured and are not jerks anymore. Only time can solve the problem, after a certain age it stopped entirely.

One thing I can't understand though is that bullying of homosexuals is denounced, but the rest isn't nearly as much. I mean, bullies target people because they're different, no matter what the difference is. I was bullied because I was a "nerd", why would it be any less problematic than if I was gay? It's not homophobia, it's just fear of differences. All bullying is bad, period.

(Flamesuit on, I'm almost afraid of the replies)

8. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I knew someone would bring that up.

9. Peace, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm not being negative here but I watched the video. He states he "started" in the first grade ? How does a child start practicing his sexual preference in the first grade ?

Also at around the 4 min. mark you can see him look off camera a give a big grin.

I think it's phony.

[edit]

Watched it again and he started getting bullied in the 2nd grade.Pardon my mistake.

[/edit]

10. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

He's pretty good at crying on command.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

See my edit.

I don't know. Maybe he's being real. Maybe not.

Why do children cut themselves in the second grade ? There has to be some kind of mental disorder going on.

What that is I can only theorize.

12. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Are you asking why specifically in the second grade or at all? I would assume they do it for the same reason in second grade as they do in middle or high school...

13. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

It could be, it's the Internet after all. However, the story he tells is probably true in every school in the world.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

15. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Why? Because he's filming himself drowning in self-pity? He looks like a pretty weak kid to me. If you stand up for yourself, you don't get bullied, no matter how weak you are physically.

Me too. It's pretty pathetic.

16. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Provided it is true, he actually dares to talk about having problems. Most kids never do.

Also, if you are really being bullied, standing up for yourself without nearly killing someone pretty much only grants you a ticket to the emergency room yourself. They don't respond to anything like logic or common decency, so you pretty much are stuck with taking it or really putting the fear of death into them.

17. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Not really. I learned from my experience that if you dare reply to the bully, and get ****ing angry at them, they can actually get quite surprised and leave you alone. No need to use physical violence, verbal violence can be enough ;)

(But my case wasn't really bad, and I was not in a harsh school. I guess in some other places I would have had stitches and a broken arm.)

18. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

these videos of kids holding up cards are everywhere since the first one that some girl did last year went viral

19. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

I can cry on command lol... it's actually super easy.

I think it's a fake. because he kept looking off camera to the same spot.

20. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

So if you're physically unable to get rid of the problems with a fist-fight (because it's you against five others), what options are there? Seems like kids in lower secondary school can get away with almost anything that involves even severe violence (federal crime). Can they get away with murder too, or is that up to state law? Where do the limits go?

One can either attempt getting sympathy in the public opinion, or one can stand up for oneself and fight back. The only bad thing about the last option is that in many cases, it would necessarily involve taking the life of one's abusers. I know that murder is (and should be) against the law, but according to the United States Constitution, everyone has the right to protect himself.

Which one of the following options (provided they are the only ones available) would you favour:
    1. Utilizing the Internet (e.g. YouTube, Facebook, Twitter) to gain public sympathy.
    2. Utilizing one or more firearms (or IEDs) to get rid of one's abusers once and for all.
    3. Commit suicide.

21. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I was bullied. A lot. And in retrospect, I was so much bigger and stronger than the bullies. The problem was that I had no self-esteem. Largely because I was bullied. Not to mention healthy fear of getting in any sort of trouble. Again, that was largely a self-confidence issue.

There's not much teachers can do. The bullies are not going to do something stupid when a teacher is watching.
    They may see a few isolated events, but not enough to see any sort of long-term narrative of the bullying.

I fought a bully once. Got him one on one in the hallway. Punched him and bruised his neck. (I was aiming for his face). Kid immediately ran out the door.

Of course, the next day, he and his friends showed up at the school dance and were talking trash about me and trying to intimidate me the entire time. That just sort of fizzled out. He still kept bullying and annoying me until we graduated.

Part of me deeply regrets not punching the kid in front of everyone one day. A 3 day suspension would have very much been worth it so as not to endure that ******** for 10+ years. On the other hand, if a few fights had ended up on my school record, would the college I went to have accepted me? Too many "what ifs"

It so easy to tell the victim to "Stand up for yourself!" But a lot of them don't know how. Ignoring doesn't make the problem go away. It makes the bully ramp up whatever he's doing until he gets a reaction.

I think the first step is to instill self confidence in everyone.Enough to know that what these bullies say has no value on one's worth. The trick is finding a way to do that so it doesn't come across as condescending or patronizing.

22. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I guess it's up to the individual to figure out how to protect himself - and deep inside, we all know what it takes. Sometimes, the result can become really grim and far more messy than if the school or the judicial system had taken care of the problem. But in the end, it's a matter of how far you're willing to go to make it stop.

23. cshearer macrumors regular

[​IMG]

The child is in eighth grade. What is your excuse?

By the way, the link to your "social network" is broken. Great job, Zuckerberg must be shaking in his boots.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I had a similar experience. When I was in seventh-grade I learned judo and boxing (something I continue with when I have time), and when a kid picked on me one too many times, I bloodied his nose.
    I was a tiny kid, but I knew how to punch, so after he pushed me into a fence, I stood up and told him to try it again. He did and I grabbed him by his collar, brought him down to my level (he was a foot taller) and punched him.

After a talk with the principle and my father (who pretended to be stern in the office, laughed once we got in the car), I was left alone. I earned respect even among the 'vatos' or the kids who hoped to be "jumped in" a gang and usually went out their way to beat on the white kids.

Years later, I was working as a reporter in the same neighborhood and a guy dressed in full banger kit sidled up next to me. He turned and asked me my name and I told him; he laughed and told the cop I was interviewing that he should "be careful, cause this **************** can punch." Then patted me on the back.

Weird.

A kid show know how to stand up for himself, but it's not the fighting that's important, it's knowing who you are and why you matter. For a lot of kid's, they never get this kind of feedback, this kind of influence. And, for gay kids who get the additional opprobrium of their sexuality, I can see how this could be debilitating.

This kid doesn't need to fight, but he needs something that builds his confidence that makes him more than just a kid. My dad taught me to defend myself, to protect others, and I did.