Gay activists have met their match with Muslim barbers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 26, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

:D:D:D:D

what say you guys.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/16/gay-activists-have-met-their-match-with-muslim-barbers

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm 99% sure you can go to any salon and get a "guy" haircut. Unless you're looking for trouble then you can go into a Muslim barbershop.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

This doesn't like a gay rights issue. There are plenty of straight women who like short boy like hair as well.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

true, but if a Muslim can deny you service due to his religious beliefs, why can't a Christian be afforded the same right?

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Wow, combing the archives for subject material are you jkcerda?? :D

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

He is not allowed to touch another women based on his beliefs. I can't judge if that Muslim who follows Sharia Law is actually biased towards women and gays(most likely he is), that's besides the point, cause he has a valid reason. It's not something they just made up yesterday.

Now Christians don't have a valid reason not to serve people, other than complete bias. When they have a valid reason(pertaining to any set of rules they follow), I'm sure people would hear them out.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I seriously do not understand why some Christians claim that.

first time I see it :D

8. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

It's wrong in both instances.

Then again, that's Canada and I'm told we can't go by outside law to determine ours in the US...

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Good point. Maybe its because we're all afraid of Muslims?

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, posed in that way, an answer is clearly called for: So, I say 'you guys' have a finely calibrated and richly nuanced 'hierarchy of hate', which is fascinating to observe.

In practice, this means that when one detested group (gays) encounters another (in this instance, a Muslim, who happens to be a barber) you have difficulty in deciding who to shout for. Actually, it tells me that some on the right dislike gays more than they dislike Muslims. That is what I say.

11. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

He can't, under US law. Gender discrimination in a business open to the public is illegal.

12. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Seems like she has a craving for attention :rolleyes: there are hundreds of barber shops in Toronto

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Agreed.

In the U.S. you can't deny service to a customer simply because they belong to a protected group (race, sex, religion, age, disability).

I don't know about Canada's laws, but I would not be surprised to find they have something similar.

If you own a public business, then you need to get over whatever personal bias you have and serve anyone who walks through your door.

Anyone.

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the barber is in the wrong.
    if his beliefs prevent them to serve the public without discrimination, he should not do a job which involves serving the public.

15. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

What about the Muslim lady who didn't ring up an alcohol beverage at the counter? It that not the same thing? Is she also wrong?

17. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This was handled last December.

Marks & Spencer has apologised after a Muslim member of staff refused to sell a customer alcohol. The retailer said that where employees had religious beliefs that restricted what foods or drinks they could handle, it tried to place them in a "suitable role". An M&S spokeswoman said: "We regret that in the case highlighted we were not following our own internal guidelines"

"http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/dec/23/marks-and-spencer-muslim-alcohol

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

19. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Yes, in my opinion she is (can't do the job, don't take the job), but what she did was not illegal, because (a) people buying booze aren't a protected class, and (b) another employee stepped in, so no one was denied service.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

So lets say for some strange reason, I wanted a Brazilian bikini wax. And the women employees did not feel comfortable with male genitalia and refused service. Are they being discriminating or bias?

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I believe this ties in nicely with the proposed Arizona law the would allow refusal of service based on religious beliefs. I assure you all there is no place in any country based on religious freedom where an individual should be allowed to act in a prejudice manner towards another based on their faith. They are free to practice their religion but not at the expense of other's civil freedoms and the law of the land.

Laws protect us. If it's legal to drink, no clerk should be allowed to refuse to sell liquor. No cab driver should be allowed to refuse transportation if there is a bottle of liquor in the luggage. If their religion won't allow them to do so, I'd suggest they go find a job where their faith is not put to the test. And if employers want to consider these beliefs, don't put those employees in positions where their perceptions of their faith will be violated.

This is why religious forces are trying desperately to put laws like the Arizona law into place to force their religious standards on the rest of society and there is just no place for that in a secular society where multiple religions are practiced.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

why are you not reading the thread? answer was already posted, see below.

and its a NEW flame suit, not the old one, that was was beginning to feel "hot" :p

23. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Yup! Gender discrimination. Unless there's some special "genitalia/crotch" escape clause in the law.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yes. If they want to offer depilatory services, and normally have no problem treating the genital area of women, then they should have no problem treating the genital area of men. If they find men asking for their service, then they should hire an employee who is comfortable working on both.

25. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

what if the service is not offered for lack of qualified workers? or liability issues?