Gay Bars to Female Patrons: Bachelorette Parties Not Welcome

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Mar 23, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

A little bit lighthearted and a little bit serious...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-trice-23-mar23,0,1502612.column

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Some gay bars ban bachelorette parties

OK- I gotta say, I think it's fine to ban them. It's become far too common lately and very annoying. No one's saying straight people aren't allowed. We like you guys. But bachelorette parties get really obnoxious. If I want my a** grabbed by a straight woman I'll go to a straight bar (and yes, it happens). Please read the article and discuss.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-trice-23-mar23,0,1502612.column

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I love straight people as much as anyone else, but at the gay club I go to straight girls can be pretty annoying. They always bring their boyfriends who seem to have fun and be ridiculously uncomfortable at the same time.

4. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I posted it specifically for you, Lee. :) I think it's a reasonable policy... more power to them.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, the bachelorette parties in particular just turn into a bunch of drunk girls groping every guy they see, and even coming onto us pretty strongly, which gets damn annoying. My favorite is when they get all aggressive and go, "Why don't you like girls?! Are you afraid of girls?!", while they shove their hands down your pants. It can get a lot more gross than that. Why should I have to feel uncomfortable in a gay bar?

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I wouldn't know how straight girls act at a gay bar, but if they're anything like the bimbos at my high school, I can understand why they want them out. And I fully support this.

Don

7. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That kind of double-standard / hypocrisy in a way is a kind of homophobia or heterosexism or whatever. It's absolutely absurd that a heterosexual woman would go to a gay bar to avoid unwanted advanced by heterosexual men, get drunk, and then make unwanted advances towards homosexual men. That's just in bad taste. I'm surprised that gay bars don't kick people who do that out right away whether they're in bachelorette parties or not. I wouldn't go to a lesbian bar and start trying to convert the lesbians. I might go because they're crazy mofo's and the party's fun, but that's neither here nor there. :p

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's tough- but it got so out of hand. I hate that people can't control themselves to the point that somebody has to make a rule. But the bars were getting tons of complaints and losing business too.

Exactly- and that's fine. Anybody's welcome to show up. But the bachelorette parties just got way out of control.

And yes, lesbian bars are really fun. :) Those ladies know how to have a good time.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This fruit fly would still like to have the occasional drink with her friends in a venue of their choice. :eek:

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Darlin'- no one is telling women not to show up. This is strictly in reference to bachelorette parties. Maybe it's a cultural phenomenon that isn't quite so annoying in the UK. You'd have to see it to believe it.

11. bartelby macrumors Core

You have no idea how bad these things are over here!

12. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We've heard tell of your hens.

13. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

We call them Hen parties over here and yeah they can be irritating as hell. A hen party can turn a perfectly nice normal girl into a loud irritating horn dog nympho slag.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I dunno. I'll ask around. And I sometimes pick up the free papers at the Queens Head, my gay local. I haven't been out clubbing for a long time so I'm not sure what general door policies might be at the mo over here.

Anyway, I'm in complete support of this idea. Hen nights (as they're called over here) can be a horrible crowd.

15. bartelby macrumors Core

Round here the annoyance in compounded by the horrendous screechy Welsh Valleys accents...

16. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Indeed, the whole hen/stag thing is ridiculous. Some of the better bars and clubs ban them over here already.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well now- this is very interesting. I wonder what this is all about culturally? We all know men are pigs, but I have to honestly say- I don't get this at all.

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's not improved when you substitute it for a Black Country accent. :eek:

19. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Been out in Liverpool lately? :):eek:

20. bartelby macrumors Core

Yes. I can imagine... :)

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It's a sad introspective into the state of marriage in this country that people would go to an establishment, gratuitously engage in lewd public behavior while simultaneously flaunting their ability to enter a supposed faithful, monogamous relationship.

22. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Does that really work? :eek:
    Note to myself...

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course it does. Are you kidding?

24. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I'll go along with the right of a gay bar owner to ban bachelorette parties

Perhaps there could be an exception. How about no banning on bachelorettes who make a sizeable donation to a gay organization or two fighting for marriage equality—and show up with a receipt to prove it.

25. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

People coming to a bar/nightclub in order to have a good time with strippers, how rude!