Gay Boy Scout denied Eagle award

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Oct 4, 2012.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I think sickening is the best word to describe this. Poor kid has been working for 12 years to achieve the highest possible award, and at the last minute it's taken away from him because he's gay. So much for building kids self esteem. The Boy Scouts have lost all credibility, they like to tout their "morals" and "values", but I think this Internet meme describes it best...

Link

Attached Files:

2. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Oh and the real kicker is that his final project was about tolerance, how ironic. So sick of these adult bullies psychologically damaging kids, shame on them.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Religion is the very reason that I buggered-off (sorry) as an Eagle Scout at 15'ish.

It was becoming pervasive and smothering.

I pass.

(Hold your pens, I'm not Gay.)

4. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

That is just bloody disgusting and the Boy Scouts of America should get with the rest of the world. If that is their stance, does the States have any other group and award that Ryan could receive?

KGB:mad:

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Unless his paper is proprietary to BSA :rolleyes:, he should put it out there on the Internet.

Let's get something going on this!!!!

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's so sad that the far right in this country is more about destruction than it is about creation. The US wasn't built on no, but on compromise and accomadation.

7. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

It wouldn't matter if we did. This is the award that he spent his entire childhood working for, and now it was taken from him. No other award can take its place.

8. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Back in 1994. Back when he didn't rely on the support of bigots.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

In some ways it's the boy's fault to joining the wrong group ... like a black man being disappointed because his KKK brothers denied him a lifetime achievement award.

11. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

He was 6...

12. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i would never send my kids to the boy scouts because they push their religion so much and i find a lot of bigotry and hypocrisy in what they do (notwithstanding some really nice people, and great kids, in their ranks).

however, it is nothing new that their position is strongly discriminatory, and the kid should have known better than staying with them for so long. He should dedicate his energy and talents to some better organization.
    However, i can also understand why he would want to stick with it and "finish".

one thing for sure is that his scoutmaster is a real piece of work, and i would hope that he gets some solidarity from other troopers in his unit (and their parents)

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This is disgusting. Shame on the leaders of the Boy Scouts.

I hope if I ever have kids they don't want to join this bigoted organization.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Eagle Scouts are much older than six ... usually around 17 if memory serves. Old enough to know that the group they belong to us hostile to their lifestyle.

Please let me be clear, it is the Boy Scouts who are wrong here. I just don't understand why anybody who knows they are gay would put any time or effort into a group that condemns them.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Because he was part of it since before he came out, which was fairly recent. He wanted to finish what he started. That's why.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I get that. He wanted to finish what he started with a group that has a long history of condemning his lifestyle (and I do hate to use the word, "lifestyle").

That was very optimistic.

17. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The Boy Scouts as an organization is not meant for, or open to all.

A Boy Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent.

You cannot leave off Reverent, however the Boy Scouts are NOT a religious organization.

You can choose to show reverence in any number of ways, however you must still show reverence.

If you cannot, then don't join the organization. They are a privately funded membership organization.

If you don't like the membership requirements, don't let your kids be a part of the organization.

And yes, I am an Eagle Scout and was a Scoutmaster for 15 years.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

A six year old kid does not normally know his sexual orientation. You're attributing adult decisions to children. Chances are, the parents didn't know their kid was gay either.

19. gibbz macrumors 68030

Hopefully one day we will look back on stories like this, shake our heads, and ask what the hell was wrong with our society.

20. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I guess it's a good thing I never cared too much for scouts and was only in it for as long as I was to get away from my mom. Then again, my troop was far from conventional. Haha.

He was a little kid when he joined and I guessing discovered his sexuality within the recent years. It's disgusting that he should be forced to leave and not get a award he worked on for his sexuality.

And in my experience they seemed to be very religious, or at least try to get you into a religion. At every Boy Scout camp I went to there were many religion based things and prayers everyone was supposed to be a part of.

21. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

What does this have to do with anything?

Do you seriously believe it's ok to tell a child that they can't be a part of this organization because of who they are attracted to?

I'm sorry. That is not being courteous, friendly, or kind. And if you think it is, you obviously didn't have good role models when you were a Boy Scout. And I have a feeling those in charge of this organization have no idea what any of those words really mean - including reverence.

I would be ashamed to be part of such an organization, and here you are defending them.

22. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Right? I hate to know what he was teaching kids when he was a scout master and feel sorry for any scout in his troop curious about his sexuality.

23. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I'm an Eagle Scout, too. And until I can figure out how denying homosexual scouts membership is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, or Reverent, I have absolutely no plans to support them in any way.

24. SprSynJn Guest

He's six years old, and he's gay? Are you kidding me?