Gay Couple Assaulted by Church Leaders

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Oct 3, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow. Words escape me.

http://www.wbbjtv.com/news/local/Assault-Complaints-Filed-after-Incident-at-Church-130746713.html

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Before the obligatory bashing of Christians comes, I just want to say that people like this whether they claim to be Christians or not are most definitely not acting like the Bible tells them to. We aren't all as crazy as these guys.

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You approve of assault? Explain yourself.

I think most of us already know this. But this kind of thing is just sick. I mean, his own father?

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

This happens more than you think. Some people should not be allowed to have children.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sometimes you kind if wish there was a judgement after death.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This sounds more like a family problem than a "christian" problem.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Most likely. But does your family behave this way?

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I bet you're too cowardly to come back and explain why.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well first off. My parents are dead.

I only have 2 brothers living out of 7 siblings.

None were gay. Had they been and had my parents been alive they wouldn't do such a thing. And they were "christians"

I REALLY don't like to use that label though because people that behave this way are NOT christians.

Jesus did not teach hatred and violence.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Most likely.

I was being sarcastic. ;)

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ok. Cool. You know how I feel Lee. I'm not gonna go judging people. It's wrong.

Yes I consider myself a follower of Jesus Christ but the label "christian" has a bad connotation nowadays. It is now an example of what I consider anti-christ.

These people are no more "christian" than I am a heroin addict.

[disclaimer]

never touched the stuff. never will ;)

[/disclaimer]

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, I know. I hope these people are prosecuted to the fullest extent.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'll go on record. That's no church, it's a mob of rednecks. How can they claim to follow the teachings God and Christ after those acts?

Barbaric.

Also, WTF?! Family spews?!? That's an in-house thing, not on the streets.

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I agree. It does seem wrong to group all Christians together. I know many Christians who are wonderful, loving people. I've attended Christian churches who actively encouraged their members to oppose Prop 8 (including protests at the State Capitol).

For that reason, I very much understand the desire of christians, like you describe, to say, "they aren't acting like real Christians."

However, we run into a problem. Those "bad christians" would say the same thing about you! To them, the Bible is equally clear, and they're following God's will by assaulting their gay children.

All stereotypes are bad, but this is indeed a case of Christians acting in accordance with the teachings of their church. They might not be "real Christians" in accordance with your views (and I agree - they're not acting as Christians should). However, it's a legitimate complaint that many Christians do act this way. But not all. ;)

I can't think of a good way to reconcile the difference. Both views are Christian, even though they're fundamentally opposite.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

And they should be. According to the law. If they wish to live by the law they will be tried by the law.

Eric : Nowhere in the Bible does it teach beating up people.

As a matter of fact in one instance there was a prostitute ( considered very bad back then ) and the people were going to stone her. They asked Jesus what he would do.

His reply :

He who has not sinned. Let him cast the first stone.

So unless these people are sinless. Which I doubt because "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God" the woman should be let go.

That's what happened. The people felt shame because none were sinless and Jesus told her to go and sin no more.

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Who gets to decide what they're called: you, or them?

The answer to this question will clear up a great deal in your other thread about religion.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's simple, if they claim to follow Christ's teachings then they should not have assaulted the couple. Why? Because Christ preached love thy neighbor and not draw sword lest you die by the sword. All of this is found in the four Gospels every Christian follows. If you don't follow those, then, you can't call yourself a true Christian, but a pseudo-Christian.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Jesus was not a control freak either, which the father appears to be.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Then why did he give you free will? The choice is always yours, it's people who make it sound and make noise its not a choice.

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

And it shall be, if the wicked man be worthy to be beaten, that the judge shall cause him to lie down, and to be beaten. Deuteronomy 25:2

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property. Exodus 21:20-21

If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments; Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.Psalm 89:31-2

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Jesus came along and changed all that old testament stuff.

;)

Like I said earlier. If you live by the law you will be judged by the law.

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Ok now I'm confused. He changed it. But wasn't it the word of god so how could he change it? I know this is off topic, but can you explain that a little. I appreciate it.

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

He didn't change the law. He fulfilled it. Those laws you quote are still there. The only difference now is Jesus died on the cross to get rid of mankinds sins. Sins that mankind could not get rid of.

If people wish to live by that law. They can. But they will be judged by the law too. If they have broke any of the laws they will be found guilty and be thrown into hell.

The alternative is to allow Jesus Christ to take on our sins. Thus releasing us from the bindings of the old law.

I'm not gonna sit here and try to defend anything. It's not my job.

Say what you will.

I will do what I do and you will do what you do.

But we will all have to answer to God

:)