Gay Day Marred by Threats of Rape and Murder

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Aug 7, 2012.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

More charming stuff from the religious. I guess we should just shut up like many here say and just take what we get. :rolleyes:

Be warned, watching this video is pretty unpleasant.

http://www.advocate.com/society/activism/2012/08/07/gay-day-marred-threats-rape-and-murder

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Those aren't the religious, those are the extremist nut-jobs that have failed to comprehend the most basic of Christian principles... love thy neighbor as thyself. Anger and spitting hateful words is a very contradiction of this principle... and threatening to rape? LOL... WTF? :rolleyes:

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It is too bad the police weren't able to figure out who made these threats and arrest them.

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Lumping all Christ followers in with those types is about as appropriate as lumping in all Muslims with al Qaeda.

Extremists are all the same no matter what type of cloak they try to hide behind.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Point taken but let me ask you this, where are the non-extremists and why aren't they more vocal?

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

More vocal about what?

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Christianity also preaches the murder of gays. The only Christian there was in principle was Jesus himself. Everyone else is a fraud.

The acceptance of a book that is morally dubious, contradictory, and contains hate speech doesn't make for a good person. It makes them a bigot.

The Christian God forgives threats to rape and murder, as long as they believe in His word and accept Him onto themselves.

W*nkers if you ask me.

8. APlotdevice, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I don't think the relative level of vocalizing really matters. What you hear is what the news media chooses to cover. And they are hardly unbiased with the way their coverage gets prioritized. I'm not necessarily talking about political or religious bias, but rather a bias towards headlines that attract the most viewers.

9. leekohler, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately, there seems to be far to many of them. And the sad thing is- they were reading from the Bible.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

All I ever hear from people is that "If not all Muslims are violent, where are the peaceful ones condemning the violence?"

So, I ask, if not all Christians are violent, where are the peaceful ones condemning the violence. Because all I hear are crickets from the religious right.

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

If someone does something egregious, then yeah....they speak up.

But Christian and Muslim groups cannot go around condemning every time someone says something hateful. As hateful as this world has become they wouldn't have time to do anything else.

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The people targeted by Christian hate certainly seem to find the time. Priorities, I guess.

13. noteple macrumors 65816

Video, a snapshot in time.
    Angry people poking angry people with a stick and we are all supposed to be surprised at the response.

The fight should be against those that are so full of hate it spills over, no longer able to contain it, their joy is to be angry.

Busy condemning non violent acts and to blind or tolerant of the violent ones.

It takes a twisted mind to even conceive much less perform raping, and killing.

The advocates, taunters, and performers of hate are nothing more then school yard bully's.

You are not going to convert somebody by silencing them or by using media as a bigger bull horn.

And I'm not talking about coexist or political correctness.

Can't we all just get along? NO.
    We all do not have to get along, but we do need to leave each other alone.
    Start minding your own business, and stop trying to convert everybody to your way, or view of life.

In the pursuit of happiness, you do not need my endorsement, and I do not need yours.
    Don't cause trouble and don't go looking for it.

If your neighbor needs a hand, your protection, or just understanding, give it willingly, and they might do the same for you.

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Love thy neighbour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kInkCj42foc
    Note what the black man says at the end: 'Why did the majority not speak up IF it was such a minority?'

Passive acceptance, that's why.

Now the media has been on them for weeks they've finally managed to cook up an apology just yesterday.

15. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

It was a halfhearted apology at best, being released on their website first instead of directly to the couple.

An all around failure by a church and it's people.

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

In many cases, passive approval. That's frequently the reality of it. There are a lot of "good Christians" (to be read in the same sense as "good Germans") who don't see themselves as the sort of people who would go out and hurt people themselves, but they'll readily accept all the arguments extremists use as excuses when they do. They'll turn a blind eye to the extremists' actions, because they agree with their premises, and don't want to be caught out defending the side to which they are less sympathetic, even if that side is subjected to inexcusable abuse.

They aren't going out and protesting, but they're posting hateful nonsense to their Facebook pages about how America is headed the wrong way, putting us all at risk of some unstated disaster, by indulging the rights of the unpopular and non-conforming, and basking in the chorus of "Amen" and "F--- yeah" replies they get from their friends. Then they want to get defensive and say "not me" when somebody carries those hateful opinions to their logical conclusion.

17. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Well said, that is the day to day reality of how religious bigotry perpetuates.

18. 184550 Guest

Perhaps you ought to try listening to the religious left. ;)

While I can only speak for myself and my denomination (Presbyterian (PCUSA)), it's heavily frowned upon to go out and shove religion in peoples faces. The reason you're not hearing anything is because Christianity is not some monolithic machine. There are hundreds of different 'varieties' that are included under the umbrella term 'Christianity'.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Um not even close. People who actually read and research their Bible (like myself) will tell you that the Bible doesn't condemn homosexuality.*

People cherry pick verses and take things out of context in order to justify their hate against a particular group but in doing this they are completely ignoring Jesus's teachings.

I'm a Christian and I'm 100% for equality.

*I know people will attempt to throw up verses to prove me wrong but I've already researched every single reference regarding homosexuality so don't even bother. I'm not going to explain every verse here as there is plenty of info on the Internet and in books regarding this.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The Bible condemns men's long hair (1 Corinthians 11:14-15), but I don't see people demonstrating about that. Honestly I think some people use the Bible to enforce whatever world view they wish, so I agree with what you wrote.

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Never heard of them.

See Gelfin's post above. I see what you're saying, but I've found his to be true as well.

22. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

The off-shoot Free Presbyterian church are considered religious extreme-right in N Ireland. Their church is inseparable from party politics, bigotry and murder.

Presbyterians have set up churches in Africa and elsewhere teaching against homosexuality. Last month they voted against a gay marriage proposal in the US.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/06/gay-marriage-presbyterian-general-assembly_n_1655327.html

I wouldn't call that religious left.

If only your interpretation of the bible actually mattered. It's the leadership that drives teaching. Neither of us are experts on translating abrahamic texts and we will never know what they really meant about homosexuality, it's moot. Mainstream teaching is the actual issue.

----

In the end, all 3 abrahamic religions are guilt based forms of indoctrination. The newer religions are even worse - mormons for example. I can't think of anything more absurd, and their past discretions against women and blacks are so recent that the members who keep joining are either wilfully ignorant or like Gelfin said, passively approve.

Personally if an institution has such a torrid history I'd be keen to distance myself, not join it.

23. 184550 Guest

Are you familiar with the term 'monolithic'? I'm guessing not since you omitted that part of what I said. I suppose I mistakenly assumed that one might understand that since Christianity is not monolithic, it would only make sense that it's denomination are not either.

----------

Rather surprised given some of them are former and current stars of the Democratic party. Al Gore? Elizabeth Warren? John Kerry? MLK Jr.? Howard Dean? JFK? RFK? EMK? Here.

Personally, I think comparing people of any religion to Germans in the 1930s and 1940s is a little over the top and is an inanely broad and sweeping generalization.

I'm not judging Britain off the BNP, I'm not judging all African-Americans off the few who commit crimes and sell drugs, I'm not judging all homosexuals off a reality TV show contestant...

But then again, this is PRSI and I know better than to bring up and argue the topic of religion with those who are completely closed minded to the idea and whose idea of religion is what they read in the paper or watch on TV as portrayed by the noisy few of the religious right.

24. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Show us a mainstream presbyterian denomination that teaches that same sex relationships are moral, healthy, desirable and should be celebrated.

Should be easy, since Christianity isn't monolithic.

25. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I don't know where you gathered that nonsense from, but no... Christianity doesn't preach the murder of gays. It's really saddening that people just blindly spew this kind of ignorance without having actually verified the information themselves. They just hear it from someone else.

The second part is also wholly inaccurate.

I genuinely hope you're just trying to rile people up... not that you believe any of the nonsense you just posted.

I'm not going to disagree that the bible doesn't condone of homosexuality, but there is not a single passage commanding their murder. No matter who anyone is they're to be loved equally and without judgement. It isn't anyone's place to judge another unless they don't have any faults themselves.