Gay-lesbian high school plan dropped

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Nov 19, 2008.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-no-gay-high-school-19nov19,0,5724903.story

View the comments after that article with caution. It's some of the most vile, hate-filled stuff I've seen in a while. A few people even advocate murder.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i never thought this school was a good idea personally. i'd rather see the resources go to helping the kids where they are now rather than separating them from their peers.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That would be great, except for the fact that if it's ever brought up in schools, parents have a fit and say the school is trying to "advocate homosexuality". So how does what you're saying get done then?

4. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I don't think there should be a Gay-Lesbian only high school (which i'm assuming was meant). People just need to be thought to treat everyone with respect, no matter their personal beliefs*.

A separate school will just increase the divide. Like a black only school.

* As long as their person beliefs don't involve physically/mentally hurting** others.

** Unless those people willingly want to be hurt...

5. djellison macrumors 68020

Agreed. Pulling minorities out of mainstream schools into their own special school is NOT the way to respond to moronic parents moaning about 'promoting homosexuality'

Education, not segregation.

Of course, this is a millionth of a degree of seperation from the old argument about the MOBO awards (music of black origin) and the annual chesnut of people asking where the MOWO awards are, and what outrage there might be if such a thing were to occur.

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Maybe they should just make a MOHO award (Music of Human Origin). Although this might cause an uproar among the rest of the animal kingdom!

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I agree. What's going to happen once they graduate? They will be working real jobs that are not gay/lesbian only, so why do this with high school?

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I think you might be a bit confused. As I recall, the school would have been voluntary and open to people of any sexuality, not only gay students. Nobody would be "pulling" anyone out of mainstream schools. It would be the students choice.

9. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Obviously it would be the student's choice. But dropping out of a regular school and enrolling in a gay/lesbian school is basically taking them out of mainstream schools.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No one has yet answered my question. I agree with you all in principle, unfortunately principle isn't reality.

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

So do you think that there should be high schools that focus mainly on gay/lesbian students? If so, why?

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You are doing it, short of institutionalizing Gay education.

Besides, even if voluntary, bussing Gays in from everywhere just has to much in common with the old practice of bussing Blacks.

Love this image. :) Just change the "D" to a "G", and there you have it. ;)

[​IMG]

13. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Parents might cry foul at first, but kids will make friends of every sexuality in their school and then stand up to their parents and ask "Why do you hate my friend?"

If enough people do this then hopefully people's attitudes will change. And when they are old enough to have kids (a long time i know), people who were in these schools will still have these friends and teach their own children to be more accepting of people.

Making a special school for homosexual's will counteract this.

14. TSE macrumors 68030

Maybe Gays should start a Private School, since obviously this idea doesn't have enough government support? I do agree, from what I have seen in my public schools that gays have gotten the **** beaten out of them by some dumbf*cks that gays should be treated better, but not everyone wants to pay for it with their tax dollars. A gay/bi private school doesn't sound like a bad idea, and seriously, who would shoot down at the idea when they are losing nothing by having it? The thing I would be afraid of is some far-right or far-left extremist goes on a massacre or burns it down.

15. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

This reminds me of the movie Remember the Titans. This same thing happens with the football team captain. He made a black friend and his parents didn't approve. He stood up for his friend, and in the end, his parents accepted him.

I know that is a movie, but the same thing happens in real life too.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't necessarily. But something has to be done. The schools already can't do what's needed because of a few idiot parents. Don't want a school like this? Then you damn well better commit to making these kids safe in the schools they're in now. Unfortunately, a few idiots won't let that happen.

You are correct. But if schools aren't ever allowed to discuss the subject, how does anything change?

17. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Something does have to be done, but I don't agree with using tax payers' money to create gay/lesbian high schools. If they want to create a private high school that focuses on gay/lesbians, like TSE said, then I'm completely fine with that.

What is there really that needs to be discussed though? If someone is set on their beliefs, it is hard to change them.

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Minds don't change without discussion.

19. iGary Guest

iGary

Glad they didn't do it, just doesn't seem like the right idea to segregate gay students into their own school.

20. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Again, what is there to discuss?

Do the teachers need to tell their students not to beat up or pick on gay/lesbian students? This is already something that should be known not to do, with anyone for that matter.

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's one thing unfortunately a lot of kids apparently don't know. Don't you think there were also discussions on race in classrooms back when schools were desegregated?

22. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I was objecting to the type of language being used to describe the school. Using the word "pulling" suggests that gay and lesbian students would be forcibly removed and sent to another school, which is incorrect.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It sounds like they do intend to possibly re-submit the idea next year. I re-iterate my position that it's possible, in the right frame of mind, for this kind of idea to do a lot of good. And it has people talking about the needs of the GLBT community, and I am all for that, not to mention that pro-social / social activist magnet schools could be a good thing for us all.

24. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I don't really know the answer to that. I wasn't alive back in those days.

If "picking on students" or "beating up on students" is the main concern for having a gay/lesbian high school, then the teachers just need to teach the students that picking/beating up on students is not acceptable, no matter the race/gender/sexual preference.

I see your point, but I doubt that is what the poster meant. I guess you never know though.

25. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Wouldn't a gay/lesbian high school go against the whole equality issue?