Gay man sues gay bar for discrimination

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by EvilQueen, Aug 4, 2014.

1. EvilQueen, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014

EvilQueen macrumors 6502

2. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

3. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

hahahaha

That's the truth.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm a little skeptical, because Yahoo's articles commonly contain a lot of errors and omissions. That aside your assessment that people need to match their drivers license is correct, although I haven't paid attention to how bars handle that around Halloween, when many people might be in costume. The writer doesn't seem to have a complete picture of why the guy was denied entry.

One section...

and another...

It probably comes down to whether this was applied consistently, but on the issue of appearance, bars can face huge fines if they serve someone who is underage. It mentions regulator concerns, yet it makes no mention of how they suggest handling issues of gender.

5. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

What does homosexuality(gay bar) have to do with this story? Why was it even brought up? I don't see them making a big deal when any other bar denies access because someone doesn't look like the person on their ID(if they are in drag or not).
    If I knew I could sue, I would put a wig on and sue every bar in a 50 mile radius for not letting me in!

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's not clear to me how the bar can enforce the drinking laws by checking ID's and not running afoul of discrimination laws in these cases.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

please post pictures of you before & after to see if you could get away with it :D:p

8. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I would make one ugly woman.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

What do discrimination laws have to do with it? If you don't look like the picture on your ID, the bar can deny entrance. That's the essential criterion: does not look like picture ID.

Here's a hypothetical. Suppose I'm white, and I put on face makeup that makes me look African-American. Now, if the picture on my ID is of me with my lily-white Anglo face and the bar won't let me in, are they doing so because I don't look like my picture? Or should I assume they're denying me entrance because of my perceived race, and I should sue them for racial discrimination?

What if the races are reversed? I.e. suppose I'm African-American and I put on face makeup to look white. Again, the picture on my ID is of my actual face, not the one in makeup. If the bar refuses to let me in, is it racial discrimination, or are they simply denying entrance because I don't look like the ID?

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you never know until you try :p

11. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Who said I hadn't tired? :eek:

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

We actually agree. I was trying to point out that it would be impossible to deny someone entry to a bar if the bouncer couldn't deny that entry based upon whether they resemble their pic or not.

I don't see this as a transgender issue either, since they would just get a new ID card/drivers license.

13. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I side with the bar too, this is not discrimination. A friend of mine changed sex and made sure to update of his IDs, similarly to people that legally change their names.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

I will also happily wear a wig for the purpose of obtaining money through a frivolous lawsuit.

15. chown33 macrumors 604

I apologize for misunderstanding your post.

16. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I can completely see the bar's position. Losing a liquor license to serving someone underage is very expensive. There is little doubt that he didn't look like his license, I think he's got this case won, hands down. Now, I'm not sure how this can be avoided in the future. Maybe swing by the bar ahead of time and explain yourself to the owner/bouncers so that they will recognize you later?

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

or bring a change bag maybe?

---------------------------------------

Now, my q: if the bar was a regular bar, would people have a different opinion of said bar? This has prob. happened before w/ people that dress in drag, so my guess is that guy/girl has brought this lawsuit because there is possibly other similar stories/lawsuits?

18. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

This is just bad reporting.

The man in question was not admitted to the bar because his gender expression did not match the gender on his license (it had nothing to do with if he was identifiable). The bar has admitted this - this is illegal discrimination in Colorado - Colorado state law protects people based on gender, sexual orientation, and actual or perceived gender.