Gay Marriage Gaining Acceptance Among Mainstream Religious in US

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by VideoFreek, Oct 15, 2010.

1. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

I ran across an interesting poll just released by Pew Research Center that I thought might be of interest here. A summary can be viewed here and the full report (PDF) can be downloaded here. Most interesting are religious views toward gay marriage, as measured by responses to the question "Do you strongly favor, favor, oppose, or strongly oppose allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally?":

[​IMG]

Not surprisingly, support is strongest among atheists/ agnostics, with 80% in favor of gay marriage and only 16% opposed. Also not so surprisingly, white evangelicals constitute the least supportive group, with only 20% in favor and 74% opposed.

More surprising for me were the views among mainstream Jews, Catholics and Protestants. Jews are nearly as supportive as atheists/agnostics, while white Catholics and mainstream Protestants are today roughly split on the issue with 49% of each group in favor. I suppose you can view this from either a glass-half-empty or glass-half-full perspective, but the trends are clear and undeniable. In fact, this is the first year that more respondents in these groups favored than opposed. Interestingly, however, minority religious (Hispanic Catholics and Black Mainline Protestants) are far less supportive than whites. In particular, only 28% of Black Protestants are in favor.

There are also large differences, as one would expect, by age, gender, political affiliation, and so on. The report is worth a read to see where Americans stand on the issue today.

Overall, the poll shows 42% of Americans favor legal gay marriage and 48% oppose. This is improved from 38%/53%, respectively, only two years ago. We've come a long way from 1996, when only 27% of Americans favored gay marriage and 65% opposed.

Gays in the Military
    Views toward allowing gays to serve openly in the military are even more favorable. Again, this issue sees widespread support among Catholics and white Mainline Protestants, with 68% in each camp in favor.

[​IMG]

I post this because I've noticed that religious people tend to get demonized around here frequently as being hostile toward gay rights. This is almost certainly due to the positions of a rather noisy and influential evangelical minority. Nonetheless, I think there is more support than you probably realize, and this support is growing steadily.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Good. Some of those figures are very encouraging. Gradually the developed world has been introducing gay marriage and the sky has still not fallen. Those who look beyond the borders of their own town seem to be realising it's not the enormous threat to society that the NOM ads or Herr Ratzinger paints it as.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There is more support, but not nearly enough. And as you noticed, the vast majority of anti-gay sentiment comes from the religious, not the non-religious.

4. VideoFreek thread starter macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

Support is growing, Lee. Glass half empty, glass half full. :)

5. Queso macrumors G4

That's quite a bit of progress in just two years. With that momentum they'll be gay marriage in half the states before you know it.

Of course there's no guarantee that the momentum can be sustained.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The glass is neither. It is twice as big as it needs to be.

As for the OP it is good news. It is progress none the less.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The engineers perspective I believe.:)

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Can't say this chart surprises me. Especially about Jews. They tend to sit on the left side of politics in this country.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There's a left side?

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

huh?

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Jewish people like any other largish group in the U.S. have various political views from for instance the New York Jewish anarchists to the JDL.

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Who cares what religious people think anyway? World created in 6 days, Earth only a couple thousand years old, beating your slave is fine, daddy upstairs will reward your good behavior but baddie uncle down below will punish you if you're bad..... I'd rather see a chart showing the number of people not believing in this junk going down then anything else......

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

While that is true, MAINSTREAM Jews tend to be pretty liberal. I'm not talking about the orthodox ones. I live in an area where there are a lot of Jewish people, not religious ones, and my area is mostly liberal democrat.

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

When you have been on the wrong end of the beating stick for so long, you tend to stick up for others. That's a liberal quality, caring about the rights of others. Would be nice if they remembered that Jewish people did that though.....

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I've got to say that was more or less my reaction to the survey,shortly followed by wondering why it appears a number of agnostics/atheists have suddenly decided gay marriage is not such a good thing.:confused:

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

True that, which is why im a proud liberal and cant understand how people can use the word "liberal" in a negative connotation.

Who's they and did what?

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Didn't notice that until you pointed it out. That's weird. I would think most freethinkers would have no problem with gay marriage, sad to see that number went down.

Jews, by far, supported black people during the civil rights movement. Look what that got them from today's black leaders.

18. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That is true, many whites that marched with blacks during the civil rights movement and sat with them during "sit ins" at white only restaurants were jewish. But they dont get much credit for that these days.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Really?? I must have missed that one. :confused:

They don't have a horse in this race, as they have no religious affiliation, so WTF are they on about???

Leben und leben lassen.

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Huh. Just because u aren't religious u don't have a horse in this race? Althiests cant be gay? What am I missing here?

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The inference that Peterkro has found that agnostics/atheists are against gay weddings.

I have no horse in this race. I still have calluses from forced horse rides. :(

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

No what I was pointing out was the stupidity of the survey,from the figures it appears 2.5% of agnostics/atheists have gone from supporting gay marriage to opposing it in the years 2008/9 2010,not very likely I'm sure you'll agree.What I'm pointing out is that the survey industry is trying to drive public opinion rather than reflecting it.(I realise they would say it's within allowable error but to me it says don't take notice of survey's,for christ sake it's dividing Protestants into "white mainstream", "black" and "white evangelical".

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

On the contrary, I think that it will experience a domino effect.

Despite what this chart shows, the number one most important factor in support for LGTB equality is age. At some point demographics are going to catch up with the anti-gay movement, and once it does, it's going to be swift.

Old people already vote at the highest rate of any demographic, so that means that the vast majority (as in nationwide over 60%) of 18-24 year-olds will wield enormous electoral power in 10 years when they begin voting regularly. At the same time, attrition will thin the numbers of those over 60 who oppose same-sex marriage (relative to the total population of course).

At this rate I bet that a majority of the country supports same-sex marriage by 2014. Of course that doesn't mean we'll see any action on it; a majority of the population has supported the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell for over 10 years, and look how far that's gotten through the elected branches...

I don't think that's why Jewish people are supportive of gay rights.

I think it has more to do with the fact that by and large, most Jews are culturally Jewish and not very religious. This means that their ideology is closer to the pragmatism and secularism that dominates atheists/agnostics.

Jewish people are also typically in the higher end of the socio-economic scale, and statistics from even the mid 90s confirmed that wealthier people have typically not resisted the gay rights movement. There are a variety of plausible theses for this phenomenon (more interaction with gay individuals, a business pragmatism, perhaps a combination of both), but this clearly affects how a relatively small minority can be influenced so dramatically.

I bet that it is mere statistical error.

Out of a thousand people, agnostics/atheists will probably be at best 100, and it is easy to see how a small shift in the sample can influence those figures dramatically. The difference is probably well within the margin of error for that particular statistic.

24. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Can someone tell me why Atheists oppose gay marriage, I mean any at all?

25. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Well,and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this,I'm against marriage, overall it is essentially a economic contract which is one sided,parties don't go into it as equals.Having said that I support those that want equality under the present laws and I know from personal experience the difficulties caused by the lack of equality in partnerships.Doesn't mean that I don't think those laws are a dead end.