Gay Marriage Supporters March on Los Angeles In Protest of Prop 8

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Nov 6, 2008.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, that didn't take long.

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-139928

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

"They came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
    And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
    And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
    And then they came for me... and by that time there was no one left to speak up."

I urge everyone to speak up for the cause.

3. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Wonderful quote. I'm as straight as I can be, but I would have loved to have been able to march with the other supporters of human rights.

It sickens me that this is even an issue in this country.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I keep hearing mexed missages on this... some people are saying it's a done deal, others that it's too close to call still despite being at 52% -48%.

In any case, the fight isn't over. Legal challenges to this amendment will no doubt be brought and will require the courts to decide.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Either way, we're going to win eventually. We are not going to stop until we do. I was a little depressed yesterday, now I'm fired up. It's time. It's time that all people were treated equally under the law.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

One of my favorite quotes.

And I find it absolutely shameful that some of the same people who were so proud to elect a black man to the presidency also found no conflict in voting against civil rights for another group. I'm pissed and sad about it, but like Lee, ready to move to overturn it.

I can't understand how people really think this is okay. My mother and stepmom have been together over 29 years, how is that a threat to anyone else's life and love? :mad:

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes we will. Civil rights will continue to be expanded as history marches on.

The youth vote in CA was heavily skewed towards the "no" side of this. That's one of the reasons the haters were so eager to get this passed now, because they know that in time, no one will care who puts what sausage where.

8. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh man, that stinks. I guess it's almost inevitable with something that big. I'm sure this won't be the last of it, either. This is issue is about to explode into the news for a long time.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Because that will destroy traditional marriage through some kind of quantum interaction. A gay marriage in the same city as a straight marriage will cause both to explode in a manner similar to smashing matter and antimatter together.

Gay marriage is a photon torpedo!

Or, this sounds as logical as any other reason...

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

today's demonstration has shut down one of the major commuting routes through the west side of Los Angeles. Gay activists need to stop being so polite and organize more protests like this one.

12. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

honestly does it matter? I mean who gets married thesedays anyway?

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

These days, protests don't accomplish a hell of a lot except fleeting visibility. The real spadework of campaigning and lobbying now takes place online.

14. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Yes, it really DOES matter. Lots of people still get married. I never thought I would, but I did. Alowing same sex couples to marry indicates a level of acceptanc and tolerance I thought most of us had achieved. At least in my country....

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

In a way, you're correct. However, we seem to have so few public ones in the US, especially of this size and this vehement. Believe me, this has the attention of California's public leaders. There's going to be a lot more attention paid to this issue in that state. Look at it this way- if this issue got people off their lazy a**es and into the streets, especially in the US, imagine what's going to happen online.

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

We came out of this election hearing all about how America is a great nation as it can go through a change of power without an uproar despite massive disagreements. If you didn't get what you want right now, that's too bad. Try again next time, but protest is not the way to get what you want.

If people think that they're making progress for the state, they're doing so in a very ironic way. This isn't progress, this is madness. If majority rule is what these people want, then they got it. I'm certainly not happy about the president (then again, I would have been mad if McCain won, too), but I'm not out throwing a fit and blocking the commute.

17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Ironically, Obama's candidacy might actually have helped Prop 8 pass: Link
    Exit polls for The Associated Press found that Proposition 8 received critical support from black voters who flocked to the polls to support Barack Obama for president. Blacks voted strongly in favor of the ban, while whites narrowly opposed it and Latinos and Asians were split. ​

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Here's some good legal analysis:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/06/hostin.qanda/index.html

19. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

This is all so ricockulous. People who voted for prop 8 are a bunch of bigoted nancies. I won't be surprised to see this reach the Federal level and I think it will be exceptionally challenging to keep so something like this in place.

20. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I was talking to my friend today-
    I realized that gay marriage is new civil rights movement- and sadly I feel that it may take the same kind of struggle and change-I really wish that I am wrong but I really think that we will have to change people's minds in the same way

21. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Iitai koto wa takusan desu kedo, kimochi ga warui. 8 no hantai hitotachi wa honto ni kimochi warui.

There, I had to say something but I'm tired of taking your flak.

22. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Mind translating? I can't read most of that. :)

23. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I'm a little shocked by this comment. It's not just about the act, it's about the right to chose. You have the right to chose to get married and recognised by the law, why not other people.

The same argument applied to blacks and women not having the vote. The same thing is happening over equal pay...

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Honestly, did the Civil Rights movement matter? I mean, who drinks out of a drinking fountain these days anyway?
    :rolleyes:

25. angelneo macrumors 68000

Wow, this is going to be one big mess. If they invalidate those who already have gotten their marriage license, I could see one big lawsuit flying in mayor's direction, then again with prop 8 they cannot let those license stay.