Gay rights victories to end Pride Month :)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Queso macrumors G4

Two events this week have bolstered the slow international movement towards LGBT equal rights. Firstly, a proposed anti-gay law in Lithuania that would have effectively forced LGBT Lithuanians underground has been vetoed by the country's President Valdas Adamkus, and now the 148-year-old Section 377 of the Penal Code in India, which punished those caught those engaging in homosexual acts with with up to 10 years in prison, has been shot down by the High Court in Delhi.

Not bad all in all :)

Lithuania Story at The Advocate

India Story at the New York Times

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Not as big as the above two but I was pleased to see this in the morning papers:

Cameron apologies for Section 28

Telegraph

Independant

3. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

A politician apologising??!? :eek:

The Tories are finally swinging in line with public opinion in this country on issues of social equality. It took them long enough, but it's most certainly welcome :)

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow! That's great news- especially from India. Thanks for posting Queso. :)

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Now all we need is a journalist to apologise for something they screwed up :rolleyes:.

6. jonnyb macrumors 65816

I notice Cameron forgot to apologise for the fact that, when the legislation was repealed in 2003, he only voted for a partial lifting of the law.

One could argue that, six years later, he has finally come to his senses but the fact that there's a general election in less than a year is making me a bit more cynical.