Gay teen boy attacked in class in Ohio

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Oct 27, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I posted this in another thread, but it really warrants it's own. Be warned- the video is not pretty. When is this kind of thing going to be addressed in a serious manner?

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/10/27/Antigay_School_Beating_Caught_on_Tape/

Also, a link to ABC News:

http://www.abc6onyourside.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wsyx_vid_14194.shtml

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It just illustrates how big a problem this is. No one lifted a finger to help this kid. It's disgusting. It's in the damn school, for god's sake.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

What really disturbs me is that nobody helped- not a teacher, student, no one.

7. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I got a two day suspension once for accepting a bet to eat ice cream sprayed with Axe deodorant (hey, it was 5th grade :rolleyes:). I did get $.50 out of it, though.

By that logic, eating tainted ice cream at your own will (for money!) is only slightly worse than a violent hate crime.

Thanks, American educational system.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's the sheep mentality, "If no one goes to help, I won't (or why should I if no one else does?)"

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Not saying it's OK, but that happens in a lot of fights.

10. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

lol. i was suspended in jr. high for 2 days for throwing a stink bomb in the girls locker room, hoping they'd all come running out naked. girls came running out, no one was naked, and my buddies ratted me out. 2 days suspension. a holes.

what this kid did deserved expulsion and months behind bars, whether or not the victim was gay. violence is violence and should be punished regardless of whatever pathetic reason is behind it.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well the question raised is was the teacher even there? Any fight I have ever seen teacher tend to be pretty quick to try to do something if they are around. Mind you you have to remember they are often times they (the teachers) are so small physically to take on the combatants but they do try to break it up.

As for the other students well they pretty much happens in all the fights. They do not want to get involved.

The bull should be charged with a hate crime and clearly be transferred to other classes away from the kid.

12. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Sad thing is most employed by the educational system really can't intervene for fear of what could legally happen to them. It's a ridiculous world we live in these days. I realize we all come from different walks of life and as such we all see things differently than one another, but these hate crimes, be it homosexual, racial, weight, and any other thing that can cause differences in us needs to be addressed. Question is who is going to stand and lead the way. And at the core what needs to be addressed is really standing up for what is right, in whatever situation.

13. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

You know, I am not going to lie, I don't really get upset about most things I see/hear that are negative towards homosexuals but I stopped watching the video. I almost started crying. This is completely unnecessary and uncalled for. If I was in that room, I would have lost it. This really reminds me of the attack that happened at the Baltimore McDonalds where the transgendered individual was brutally beaten. The sad part is nobody did a damn thing (in either case). They all probably sat there and laughed. I wonder when these immature people will learn to look past peoples disabilities or choice of life style, and start looking at them as a human being. If there is one thing this section of MacRumors has done in my life, it is definitely that. Over the past year or so I have gotten much better about accepting people for who they are instead of bashing them for not being like me, or making the choices I make. This is just my two cents.

14. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm just curious, and I'm not saying this kid doesn't need a severe punishment because he definitely does, but do we actually know it was cos the other kid was gay? If I beat up a black guy that doesn't make me a racist, I may just dislike that person.

Again, I'm not condoning his behaviour, but is there any actual evidence that this was a hate-crime as opposed to just regular crime?

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Stuff like this has happened at my school before. Teachers went in to stop it, and the attacker hit one of the teachers. The school then called the police, who came round and arrested the guy and charged him for assault. Thats what should have happened here. What sort of school is that?

16. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

17. leekohler, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Watch the video, please. It's clear you didn't. The boy harassed him on FaceBook with anti gay slurs and this was not the first time the kid had been attacked for being gay.

While I appreciate most of what you're saying, being gay is not a choice. But it's good you posted what you did.

18. Shrink, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You're observation is true. Look at the infamous Kitty Genovese case in NY where people watched a women being beaten and raped and no one called the police.

However, in this case I must disagree. This was not a fight, this was a beating, an unprovoked assault. The assailant waited for the victim, and then delivered a beat down.

No one stepping in during a fight is one thing (not acceptable, but a common reaction), no one stepping in during a premeditated assault is another.

19. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Reminded me of this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isfn4OxCPQs

The little kid is being a bully trying to beat up a much bigger kid, who's just trying to ignore him. Eventually, the big kid just snaps and beat the **** out of the little kid. And of course, if what I hear is correct, the little kid's parents, sued the bigger kid. Obviously, the big kid could, and did, do a lot more damage, but the little kid started the fight.

20. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Bullies do it either for the kicks - premeditated, or as public stunts - premeditated. I feel sad for them that they feel they have to humiliate someone just so that they can feel good. I don't think the aggressor showed any remorse in his actions, did he?

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Who knows? We'll have to see what kind of follow-up we get on this story.

22. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I'm not going to watch the video but damn, that's horrible. It's weird, when i was in high school there was a lot of psychological bullying going on all over the place, but nobody was ever actually beaten up. At least this kid has a supportive mom who is likely to pursue this in court.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't blame you for not watching it. It's pretty bad.

24. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Whatever the result, I do hope that aggressor succeeds in pursuing prosecution. Hate crime is completely unacceptable and despicable.

25. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I was speaking in general about choices.