Gay Wedding Equals Hard Time in Egypt

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Eight Get Prison In Egypt For Alleged Gay Wedding

I guess Egypt won't win the Progressive Award this year....

2. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

I expect that most readers with an interest have already observed the topic related to Tim Cook's coming out.

For the benefit of those who have not, three quotes that mentioned Egypt. Expect to find context, and responses, in the Cook topic.

(Huntn, thanks – I see you in the other topic.)

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

The Egypt story is a good reality check especially if you are gay on how fortunate you are to be living in Western Civilization. Even in the US, 12 States still have sodomy laws on the books a decade after they were ruled unconstitutional. link. My point is not to indite those states because those laws are no longer enforcible, (although you might expect a state's right argument from some quarters ;)), but to point out we are not that far ahead of other parts of the world.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Butt piracy and a staged gay marriage are two quite different things. One is a sex practice, the other is not.
    I think the western world is far ahead of places like egypt. What's happening their is just pathetic.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Butt piracy? Thank you once again for another outstanding contribution. :rolleyes:

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

You are welcome. I am always happy to contribute to the cause of the bum bandits. :)

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Huh? How do you distinguish in any meaningful way the distinction between gay marriage and sodomy laws? If an attempt at humor, you missed the mark. Btw, butts are handed over voluntarily in both gay and straight sex. :p

LOL.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Not if it's surprise sex or a cuddle with a struggle. ;)

To my knowledge in the english language sodomy=buttsex.
    What does a law against buttsex have to do with gay marriage?

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I know you are smarter than this. What is the objection to gay marriage, heterosexual sex? :rolleyes:

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

I think you are mixing up sex with marriage :D

The sodomy laws applied to both hetero and homosexual couples.

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Acknowledged... will you agree that sodomy laws were directed at limiting sexual interaction that would exclude gay acceptability? :)

12. Meister, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

Those laws still exist and they still make various acts (bestiality, prostitution, and others) illegal, but fellatio, cunnilingus and homosexual sex are not punishable anymore. Some seemed to have specifically mentioned homosexuality, but they are in no way connected to a same-sex partnership/marriage. I don't think people in the US where ever thrown in prison for exchanging rings and cutting cakes with their faces on them.

What I find curious is that people seem not at all concerned about the sodomy laws still in place, but instead nitpick about complete equality of gay people. It's similar to the legalization of cannabis. They went from destroying normal peoples lives to making an industry out of it. What happened in the last twenty years that the US went from putting people in prison for decades to building businesses and from homosexuality as a mental illness to gay marriages? For other crimes people in the US still get absurd sentences, even though we damn well know that laws are arbitrary and made up out of thin air anyway.

13. chown33 macrumors 604

In the US, people aren't concerned about the extant sodomy laws because they know those laws are unenforceable. If someone were arrested or prosecuted under such law, it wouldn't go very far.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_v._Texas
    Holding
    A Texas law classifying consensual, adult homosexual intercourse as illegal sodomy violated the privacy and liberty of adults to engage in private intimate conduct under the 14th Amendment. Texas state courts reversed and charges dismissed.​

Sometimes unenforceable laws are removed en masse at some later date, years after they become unenforceable. Sometimes this doesn't happen until the codes come up for amendment or revision. Sometimes it never happens. A typical reason given for the delay is that it takes time and effort to rewrite laws, and since everyone knows they're unenforceable, there's no practical gain to be had by spending the time (i.e. money) to revise them.

In short, just because a law is still on the books doesn't mean it's enforceable. This applies to all laws.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

For example the ban on prostitution and bestiality is part of those laws.

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Actually, I've recently heard of someone being charged with "forcible oral sodomy". So I'm not so sure.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

Maybe it was ass to mouth. Or a rimjob :D

17. chown33 macrumors 604

Sometimes.

It's entirely possible that some parts of a law are unenforceable while other parts remain enforceable.

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Back in the day (when SNL was still really good), they had a great skit on those laws. It had a couple in bed, Gilda Radnor, maybe? (I'm old, forgive my remembory), and standing around the bed were the supreme court justices, each peeking under the covers declaring things constitutional or unconstitutional.

The fact is, we can make fun of it here in the US where we know the law is not going to come up with video footage of our private bedrooms. But in those countries like Egypt, the authorities don't have to go that far. One accusation is all it takes for punishment. Don't waste time on a trial.

19. Technarchy, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Just the same as Christians here in America :rolleyes:

I am dying to see what happens when someone demands under threat of legal action for an Islamic baker to make a gay wedding cake.