Gays and Liberals Pissed at Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, Dec 18, 2008.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/17/obama.warren/index.html

"Prominent liberal groups and gay rights proponents criticized President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday for choosing evangelical pastor Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at the presidential inauguration next month."

Maybe things arent working out as well as some folks had hoped??

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Who cares? He's not involved with policy. It's for a religious moment at the inauguration.

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

He is clearly trying to reach out to Evangelicals who did not vote for him. I can understand people's apprehension about this, but I think this is a case of "can't everyone get along?"

I don't necessarily agree with some of the pastor's positions, but that is the case with everyone. Geez, if we shunned everyone because we didn't agree with their beliefs, we would be solitary creatures. He isn't there to push any of his propaganda so I am not too worried about this. I think some people should find better use of their time.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

No kidding, every special interest groups thinks its all about them, Its not. Its about Obama, then the American people once he becomes president.:rolleyes:

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

As an ignorant foreigner why is there a religious moment at the presidential inauguration? Last time I checked the US was meant to be a secular state.

7. detz macrumors 65816

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

edit: in response to Cromulent..Its not, and if you dont kiss up to the religious groups you have no chance here in the U.S. Bush learned that lesson his first run for Texas, afterwards he became the biggest hypocrite in the United States.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's about as good as we're going to get as far as evangelicals go. I don't like Warren, and suspect he's gay, but whatever.

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I find it quite amusing that the US which is a supposedly secular state is more religious as a nation than Britain which has a state church.

I am aware that lots of state events have a religious slant in Britain but I don't think our politicians play into the hands of religious people as much as they do in the US.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

The guys a flaming toolbucket. Bad choice.

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Is he pissed at himself for doing it?

13. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I think this is a basic issue of people... whether on the right or the left... wanting to rewrite the rules for the type of values they think should be promoted. In reality, the invocation will probably contain many of the same tenets it would have were a more "liberal leaning" minister given the task.

Out of both McCain and Obama, Obama faired much worst after the Saddleback interview with Evangelicals. "Above my pay grade" has become an enduring slam on him on the right. There is STILL a huge issue with Obama's "liberal policies" in churches across the country, and in order to make it clear that he intends to govern ALL of America... I think this is as decent a gesture as any to foment some good will. if Warren were likely to say something like, "--and gays should NEVER marry" or "--pro-life for the win, baby!" I'd understand the outrage.

It's ironic that with nary a Rev. Wright in sight, it turns to liberals to start questioning Obama's new "associations". Actually, its almost too ironic to be ironic. Yep, I think its actually farcical.

~ CB

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm pretty sure he's another Ted Haggard. Look at the guy. And have you ever heard him speak? My gaydar goes crazy whenever I see and hear that guy. I can definitely picture him in leather bar in buttless chaps. Though that's not a pretty thing to imagine. :)

15. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Why ask this question? It's laughable to suggest it's working out to be anything.

What I believe you're trying to do is point fingers and suggest that you were right about how bad Obama is. Nothing has happened yet.

16. iGary Guest

iGary

But he has basically said these things.

17. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

He's only playing a part in the inauguration. He's not Chief of Gay Marriage and Abortion. That might pose a bit of a problem, but he isn't.

18. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I meant AT the inauguration. I agree with what és said.

Outside of that, you.. and anyone who agrees with your perspective on this... need to acknowledge that you won't always agree with generally "good" people. It doesn't mean you SHUN them until they start thinking like you do. That tends to be what causes problems n the first place. Obama doesn't support gay marriage, he supports civil unions... so that's an area HE thinks has potential for compromise. Obama supports abortion, but he favors programs and practices aimed at reducing abortions.... so that's an area HE thinks has potential for compromise. But gay rights proponents tend to think separate but equal still isn't equal, and pro-life advocates think less murder is still murder. At the end of the day, we can all fight to have our way or the highway, but if we can at least stomach to be in each other's presence... that's a start.

~ CB

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He has, and I don't like the guy at all. But I think this is basically a play to the evangelicals and is mostly a symbolic gesture. I think we also have to look at all the things he's done so far to p*** off the right. There's plenty.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nice thread title. Sheesh.

Anyway, it seems that many haven't figured out Obama, and are still expecting him to be a Ted Kennedy-style liberal. Again I recommend reading his book. Seeking common cause with people across the political and ideological spectrum is completely in keeping with his philosophy of governing. Anyone who is expecting President Obama to be a warrior for the ideological left is going to be very disappointed.

21. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Aren't those usually the worst/most vocal against..... trying to hide what they are..

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're correct, but just for argument's sake, should we also expect the Grand Wizard of the KKK to make a speech? It's just an ideological difference, after all.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, and this example just illustrates my point. Do you think Obama finds any common cause with members of the KKK? This is not about abandoning all consideration of what people believe. Not by a long shot. We know in Warren's case that they do agree on certain things (which happen to be important to Obama) and not on others. I think we're going to find Obama reaching out to people on the other side of the divide frequently, if he believes doing so will help solve the country's problems.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Since members of the KKK tend to be religious, I'm guessing he would find some issues on which they could agree, and that was my point.

And while I see what's at work here, and know what the approach is, I think there are far better evangelical preachers he could have chosen, rather than "James Dobson Lite".

25. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Personally I'm not happy with the choice because this guy is an extremist.

If Obama had chosen a more moderate religious leader who doesn't get too involved into politics; it would have shown people that you can separate religion and politics.