Gays in the Military: a Nutcase Speaks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Jul 28, 2008.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

An astonishing hearing:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/23/AR2008072303642.html
    And there's more, much more. A priceless piece of lunacy from a certifiable fruitloop.

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

skunk, I couldn't stop at reading your pull-quote, I just had to read the full article...and I'm glad I did. Hilarity ensues...

Artist's rendering of Capt. Darrah following Donnelly and Jones' testimony:

[​IMG]

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

5. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I've actually had the pleasure of hearing Eric Alva's story in person, the soldier injured in Iraq that they mentioned at the beginning of the story. He wasn't out in any way during his service, but was actually the very first US soldier injured in the war (stepped on a landmine and lost a leg). Since then he and his partner have campaigned to have the idiotic "don't ask, don't tell" policy and have appeared on many talk shows and television programs for interviews.

What's sad is that people like this woman are the common prevailing opinion on this topic, and they're the kind of people a rational homosexual wanting to serve their country has to deal with. One can only hope that others who feel similarly will hear her standpoint and say to themselves, "Wow - do I really sound that stupid?" and eventually come to change their views. But I won't hold my breath.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Being a conservative in the military, here's my view:

That lady sounds nuts. Could the article be overplaying and sensationalizing her testimony? Yes. Could it be downplaying it a little? Sure, but probably not.

Gays/lesbians serving don't bother me, as long as they do their job and don't spend their time hitting on fellow Soldiers. If they are competent Soldiers, then who cares what their orientation is?

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Why would this be any different for gays and lesbians than any other soldier?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Because that's the topic we're on. Every Soldier should be held to the same standard.

There, fixed it to make .Andy happy.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You don't change it on my behalf. Change it if it's what you actually meant.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It is what I meant, every Soldier, regardless of race, gender, creed, religion, youth experience, marital status, sexual orientation, social status, etc., should be held to the same standards as all other Soldiers.

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Sound's like a regular Royal Marine 'beasting' to me. ;)

A Freudian Slip perhaps?

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- glad we all agree.

That said- I love freedom of speech. The stupid look even worse when they open their mouths. :D

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I posted this in another thread on a similar topic. It's not. This is what she actually said, in her own words. That's why it's so shockingly ridiculous. We've heard worse though, so it's not that shocking.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

At the very least, a sign of bad taste. Esprit is so 80s!

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I was in the military for 4 years 19 days and 11 hours (but who is counting?). I do not ever recall the subject coming up, at any level. I was surprise when it became such an issue, a decade later. But then, I did not spend much time 'stateside'. Maybe it was more of an issue here? Certainly, gay soldiers would have to remain undetected, but that applied to the 'fun bunch' as well. Perhaps it was brought forward, as part of the struggle to gain equal rights and acceptance - a fight which still wages on today, across all of society.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't know exactly why it came up, but it was definitely the military who made the first step AFAIK.

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

A professional fighting force we have. What's the problem? Seems childish to discharge gays because they're gay.

18. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Anybody else seeing this ad?

Attached Files:

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Tell me about it. If a few more of these morons talk like this idiot, then we can be sure that the policy will be overturned. :p:eek::D

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

While some, like this person, have such a problem with teh gheys in the military, the real problems are completely ignored (and even covered up):

Documents and photos suggest foul play in death of Private Johnson
    Yeah, I know which is a priority to me. :rolleyes:

21. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's a strange coincidence. A few weeks back I watched this on my iPod and it was on TV for the first time in years last night.

*Link is NSFW. Maybe. Just creative swearing though.