Gays in the military in Britain- we can do it here too.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jul 27, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ces-finally-learnt-to-take-pride-1762057.html

This is a long article, but it's definitely a good one. Thanks to one of our British members for alerting me to it.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think we're about 10 years behind the U.K. on this issue. I hope its less than that, but the current administration doesn't seem particularly interested in gay rights.

3. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Don't ask, don't tell! That's how I see it. If person A is a certain orientation and can do x more pushups than person B of a different orientation "props" to him.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What the hell are you talking about? This has zilch to do with push-ups. :confused:

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You are correct. And believe me, we'll be holding Obama's feet to the fire. We've already started. Many groups have pulled their funding from the Democratic Party already. I have sent letters to the DNC and other Democratic organizations that have asked for support. I have let them know that I will support no Democratic candidate until they get serious about our issues. There is also talk of a March on Washington soon. Make no mistake, we will force their hand on our issues.

6. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

It was what came to mind after I read 2/3s of the article.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...what? Since none of us are clairvoyant, could you explain?

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Good. Keep on pushing. It's not "equality for some".

I think that some people rush to post and don't think first.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

We will. The time has to be now. It's our best chance.

No comment. ;)

10. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

In my unit we had some people who where gay, they were great soldiers, nobody bothered them, this is the US Army BTW. I personally have not seen the augment for the discrimination, If a person can do the job, and serve, then let them, sexual preference should never be a factor, time to end this, the would has changed, time the military policy's change too.

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's good to hear. My friends and family in the military have said the same.

12. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

give it time, it will happen, all America military personal (and women)regardless of who, what, where, and what they choose, should be respected for their service. It is their lives being risk for the greater good.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I believe it will too. But this debate has been going on for way too long. It's time for this to end within the next few years, if not sooner. We're losing good people that we need right now.

14. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Here is the one I just sent (I cant take credit for it though... I got it from someone else, but its effective if not just a good way to blow off some steam!)

15. MTI macrumors 65816

And the viable political alternative to the DNC is . . . :confused:

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

There is none. But that doesn't mean that all progressives and leftists should therefore support the DNC. If we stop sticking with them despite the incredible disappointment, maybe they'll stop putting conservative Democrats (like Obama) forward as the bulk of their ticket.

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- what he's missing is that we have some pretty deep pockets. If we stop giving them our money and support, they're going to have to start to listen. No political party can afford to lose a dependable block of voters. We don't have to support anyone else. We can just sit the next election out. We need to see some action NOW- not in a few months, not next year. Clinton did this to us, and we're not going to take it again. And let's be clear, this isn't just about Obama. I think he truly does want to do something. This is about the entire party. He can't do it without support, and I don't think he's getting it.

Here's an example of recent action taken by gay political donors:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalp...c-donors-boycotting-dnc-bash/comments/page/2/

And another:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/26/gay-dnc-fundraiser-filled_n_221304.html

18. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I just want to ask, what makes you think that Obama is "conservative?"

Anyways, this is really an issue that needs to be tackled. Hopefully something will be done soon. A march on Washington really wouldn't surprise me.

Don

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

This issue, and many of our other issues, Don.

Hey- why don't you vote for Mitt Romney? That should work great. :rolleyes:

20. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

If he runs, I plan to. Although, he may not be a supporter of gay rights, he still would do a lot more good for this country then Obama has or ever will.

I know you think that I'm shooting myself in the foot by doing something like that, but sometimes, you have to put the the greater good ahead of your own interests.

Hopefully Obama will do something about this, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. If he doesn't do it now, what makes you think that he'll do it in a second term. He'll make promises and then forget about those promises.

Don

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

A functioning mind makes me think that. Look at his politics from a world-standpoint. The only reason he's considered liberal in this country is because our political spectrum is so shifted to the far right that even a centre-right candidate like Obama is considered to be far left by you people.

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

This is for the greater good.

23. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

You may think that. But IMO, protecting the integrity of our currency, and the stability of our economy is more important.

Don

24. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Spoken like a true conservative. Oh wait, I mean that other thing. The opposite of that.

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's this kind of thinking that keeps us exactly where we are.