Gazans: Life with Hamas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogbone, Jul 5, 2007.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

OK this is only three people talking, and if it was published on a perceived Israeli supporting website, it would be pretty useless to post. But the BBC is accused of Bias and Prejudice equally by Israeli supporters and Palestinian supporters which I think gives it pretty good credentials as being non partisan.

The main point that gets raised around here when mentioning how bad Hamas is, is that "Fatah were corrupts" my personal view on that is that the corruption was still better than Hamas and it seems to be supported here.

This is Gazans talking now and they don't seem very happy. It appears that they are told if they want to be safe to stay indoors.

In the media they say they won't change anything but I think their hardline agenda is to change everything.

I voted for Fatah despite their corruption, because I believe in secular states and in the peace process. I want to keep the peace with Israel.

I am really afraid of Hamas taking over Gaza.

We, as Palestinians, know that they are not committed to the welfare of the Palestinian people.

These people [Hamas] don't think of the day after. They don't understand international politics.

They talk as if they are building an Islamic caliphate again.

The irony is that if these people posted their views here, it is ironic that they'd probably be seen as Israeli supporters and be told that "Hamas was democratically elected"

2. Queso macrumors G4

To counter that, I'll just point out that the IRA eventually turned into Sinn Fein. Once people get a taste of power their priorities tend to change, so the Hamas of the present day and the Hamas of five years time may be worlds apart.

My view is we (meaning the EU and US) should accelerate this process. Offer them development money beyond their wildest expectations....providing they tone down the language and actually learn to police and secure the Strip. If I were Israeli I'd rather have Hamas completely in charge in Gaza than hundreds of small radical groups fighting for attention. Dealing with only one leadership means you're less likely to get an unexpected rocket in the face.

3. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Well of course anything is possible, but Sinn Fein are much more politically savvy, Not only that but Hamas *have already gained* political power and the first thing they did, and continue to do is abuse that power. Sure they might change but there is no indication of it so far. They appear to be carrying on with their fruitless agenda of Islamicising the Gazans. And speaking of the future I know you've already seen the you tube video. Those kiddies *are* the future.

They're already doing that. Hamas only need to renounce their policy of a single Islamic state and to recognise Israel's right to exist to free up $billions. After a year in power they don't seem any wiser.

4. Queso macrumors G4

These things take longer than a year. The turning point won't come until the "peace dividend" starts having a noticeable effect on the Gazan economy. When the Gazans start seeing a bit of prosperity, Hamas will have to change or lose support. Turn their leaders into politicians with all the trappings. Invite them to lavish conferences in other countries, court them with trade deals. Dazzle them with the glamour of wealth. The chances are they'll change their stance. 99% of people in power do*

But here's the thing. Stick and carrot. Give them a taster of how it could be, then ask them again to renounce their claims. Demanding they do it first doesn't give them anything to lose by refusing.

* my estimate. No source, so don't ask for one ;)

5. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

@=dynamicv

Under normal circumstances I would deconstruct the above, but I'll let this little spark of joy remain unassaulted. ;¬)

6. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

I think your views are the silent majority that doesn't get shown on air. All I get to see on the news is a bunch of extremists from both sides doing things that aren't beneficial to anyone. If only people would learn to get along:(

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

QFT, this is what happened in Northern Ireland. Now Ian Paisley and Gerry Adams (the two extremists) are in government together. Which surprises even people I know who live there.