Gazelle already planning to buy used Apple Watches?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bunnicula, Mar 20, 2015.

1. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I have no doubt they are willing severely underpay for any random item of general interest as soon as they become aware of it. That is, after all, their entire business model.

2. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

If they offered even half the purchase price for a year-old watch, I don't think it would be an underpayment. It's used. The line isn't established enough yet to know how lucrative the secondary market will be.

3. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I speak from other products they offer to buy. I've always been able to get much more via eBay with only a little more effort. I don't expect this case to be any different.

4. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I don't disagree. I have never sold my Apple products on Gazelle.

Their interest this early in Apple Watch is indicative of a nice secondary market, though.

5. inboxer macrumors regular

The Apple trade-in site BuyBackWorld is already buying them! Not sure how they have pricing already since the product hasn't even been released.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It sounds like a lot of naïve Watch owners will be taken for a rise. In the case of the Watch Edition, most of its value is in its case and bracelet. Appreciation of the gold alloy may easily surpass any other depreciation of the device. Even in the case of most models of the stainless steel Watch, a substantial fraction if not a majority of the value is in the case and bracelet. Only the low-end Watch Sport seems to have any potential for second-owner purchases.

7. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

and for a brand new, never opened, still in the wrapper watch (which you just bought for $399...they are offering $210.

good luck with that!!

8. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I assume you mean "taken for a ride," but since nobody is obliged to sell their device to anyone else, people are free to accept or reject the prices offered.

I'm certainly not advocating the use of Gazelle or similar sites. I'm just saying that it points to the expectation of a strong secondary market.

9. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

they only offer about half the value of what apple products are worth. I was gonna sell a 5s, about 2-3 months after release. Their offer was around $220. I sold it for around $500 on amazon
    I think we'll see way more watches sold on eBay and amazon for crazy high prices. Than through gazelle and similar sites.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

It stands to reason that if you sell it privately to an end user you will get a higher price then selling it to a "middle man" like a service like Gazelle who will offer less just because they need to make a profit by selling it on.