Gazelle Trade ins, accurate? fast?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlphaVictor87, Apr 29, 2013.

1. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

So i plan on trading in my iPhone 4s later this week. I'm really thinking about using gazelle but i want to know if anyone here has used it before and the accuracy of the quote they give. Have they ever changed their quote dramatically?

My 4s is in really good condition, i've had a case on it for the past about 20 months and there are only a few minor scuff marks on the metal band around the edge because it was a slide on InCase case.

I'm seeing a quote of $220 plus i got an offer for $10 extra so i'll have $230 assuming they don't take off money for little things like scuff marks.

I'm also wanting to get a check and not through paypal so i wasn't sure how fast i will get that money back that way.

If anyone has any feedback for me that would be really helpful thanks!

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Great service, my brother used them.

HOWEVER, you will get a LOT more on eBay, especially if it's in mint condition (and on 6.1.2 so it can be jailbroken) and/or unlocked. You will definitely get more than $300, even $400-500 depending on which storage size it has.

3. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

All of those trade-in sites essentially screw you in the name of convenience. They provide a great service for those people who just want to get rid of their gadgets simply and easily. If you're willing to put in a little leg work you can get considerably more on eBay or Craigslist.

4. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I found them to be fast and accurate, sure they'll give you less then what you may do on eBay and Craigslists but they offer something over those two - convenience.

eBay, you're dealing with fees, and bidders who don't pay, or even dispute the transaction - a total headache. Craigslists you have to deal with the scammers and find someone in your local area willing to buy it.

Gazelle avoids this but if you want top dollar and you're willing to invest the time and effort Craigslist or eBay should fetch a higher price

6. BoostDeuce macrumors member

I had very good luck with swappa.com

I listed a HTC Incredible 4g LTE on there, which is not a very popular phone and had it sold and paypal on the way within 3 hours of listing it and got a hell of a price on it. Not bad for a phone nobody really cares about, I don't think

Looks like swappa has a few iphone 4s listed for 300+ dollars, and you get paypal so the money comes right to you.

Just a quick plug for a website I had great luck with. I've never done CL or Ebay so I can't help there.

7. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Don't use craigs list. My rule of thumb is never do a business deal you feel the need to carry a gun to.

8. 617aircav Suspended

Why do you need to carry a gun?

9. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Meeting a stranger with hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise.

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

those trade in websites usually have a quick turn around, but offer you complete crap for your phone. they offered me $90 for a used att iphone 4, which i ended up selling on a forum for like $180 or so. personally, i would never use one. this is why we have a classifieds forum.

11. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Yeah, Gazelle's quoted trade-in values are horrible. I'm looking to trade in my Kindle Fire HD (7-inch) Wifi and they will only give $14! I know that in all likelihood a refresh is coming very soon but still, 14 dollars!??!

12. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I hear Apple will be starting their OWN "trade in" program but they will not give more than the others.

If you do not sell yourself, expect to get less!:eek:

13. Lamarak macrumors 6502

No need to carry a gun. Control meeing place like an ATT store or your local bank where there is usually a security guard. You can just as " robbed" on ebay because its rules are now so much in the buyers side. Just tpye ebay iphone scam in google and read. If the buyer in craigslist sees that your cautious and in control, most theives wont even mess with you and move on to the people that will meet them in a street or parking lot.

Sold 3 iphones, three Ipads on CL and never had a problem. Cash in hand and not at mercy of reverse charges or payal rules to keep the cash. Do know buyers have 30 days to make a claim agsinst you on ebay.

14. dvdchance macrumors regular

I can say it's very true you can be scammed on eBay. I sold my 3GS and the buyer claimed that he received the package with only the box and the case not the phone. Even though I had tracking that showed he received the package, he got both his money returned and the phone.

15. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Can't speak for gazelle, but I've had good experiences with buymytronics and guzu. I suggest checking out all three websites and then going with the one that offers the most.

16. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I've never used Gazelle but I've used eBay, InstantSale on eBay, Amazon, and PowerMax.

I can't recomment eBay because they're now bending over backwards to satisfy their buyers. I sold my iPhone with pictures showing every little nook and cranny, and posted it as an AS-IS sale with no warranty whatsoever.
    The buyer was still able to come up with a completely unfounded complaint and eBay refunded him with no recourse for me.

I did have good luck with their InstantSale though.
    Three transactions with them and they paid the quoted price every time.
    Too bad they're not around anymore.

Amazon won't give cash, only Amazon credit, but the one time I used them they paid me more than the quoted price. I rated my item as "good" condition to be safe and they upgraded it to "like new".

PowerMax also won't give cash, only store credit, but after three transactions with them also, they've always paid the quoted price.

17. rockitdog Suspended

Gazelle is very reliable and great if you're just looking to unload your device. They pretty much low ball you. I've used CL several times and had much better success in fetching better amounts for my devices.

18. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

I traded my wife's iPhone 4 on Gazelle. I was just too busy at the time to deal with CL and I don't do eBay anymore due to the issues already stated by others. They sent me a box to send the phone in and I sent it in on a Saturday morning and by Monday evening I had my payment. At the time they paid a 5% premium if you took your payment as an Amazon credit, not sure if they still do that or not. I knew I could get more selling it on my own, but like I said I just did not want to deal with the hassle at that time.

Swappa looks to be a good site, but it looks like your phone has to be in pretty good shape to sell there. So if you take good care of your phone that might be an option.

I know others like CL, but to me it is just a pain. In the past when I posted stuff on there I seemed to get 4 or 5 scam responses to every one legit inquiry. Then you have to deal with people backing out, no shows, ect. If you do decide to go the CL route, I would suggest only meeting them at a corp wireless store if possible. That way they can go right in and have the phone checked and activated if they wish. Also they tend to be busy so there is a higher degree of safety.

19. sk24iam macrumors regular

If you're phone is in pretty good condition, Gazelle should be a quick and easy transaction. Sounds like you shouldn't have any problems getting the actual offer they presented to you on their website based on your description of your phone. As others have already stated above, you won't get as much cash from Gazelle compared to ebay or craigslist, however there is less of a hassle. In fact gazelle is simply taking your phone and reselling it on their ebay store. I personally sell my phones on craigslist so that I can get cash and don't have to deal with all the ebay scams and disputes. I usually just have the person meet me in a public place or my apartment complex's lobby to keep it a safe transaction. About two months ago I sold me girlfriend's iPhone 4 on gazelle just to see how their service was. I wrote my review here. I didn't have any problems and they sent me $115 after just a few days via paypal.

20. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You would only need a gun if you're dumb enough to meet in a dark alley or an abandoned warehouse. Just use common sense and selling on Craig's List is safe and easy.

21. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Bingo. If you're really scared, meet at a police station or mall. Nobody is that stupid to pull **** there.

22. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Yeah, because no crime ever happens out in public, on busy streets, or around other people. :rolleyes:

23. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Then you shouldnt leave the house and take the chance.

24. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

I know this is an old thread, but for those thinking of going with gazelle, do it now. they lock in their offer price for thirty days, and whatever they're offering is surely to drop come tuesday.

25. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess