GB questions for FC, QT and DVD import?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Soura2112, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

This baffles me in terms of GB's.
    I imported a legal DVD to burn off Mactheripper in GB that was 2.7. turning it into a VT file. I then used cinimitize 2.0 making them 3 files, 2 .mov files and 1 audio files. Turns out each segment at 40KB's, 30 segments in all. Then I import the .Mov files to Final Cut Express and when I convert the whole 2hr and 40 min movie out to a "quicktime file". After that I open up the new Final Cut Quicktime .Mov turns out to be 38GB's.
    I am turning it into hopefully a 30 min film, but I do not understand the math at all, and I simply dont get how a 2.4GB DVD turns into a 38GB Quicktime movie. If some could explain what causes this it would be much appreciated! And thankful. If anyone knows a step around whats causing this it would be amazing!
    Thanks so much

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The DVD is encoded with lossy compression. The QuickTime movie uses lossless compression, ergo much higher bitrate. The quality hasn't improved since the source is still lossy, but it hasn't deteriorated either, as it would if you saved to another lossy format.