Gearing up for a new School year, what to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by necodaak8, Jun 15, 2011.

1. necodaak8 macrumors newbie

Hey guys and gals,

Looking for some direction in terms of purchasing a new product for school. I just got accepted into medical and I am torn between buying a macbook air or an ipad 2.

My uses:

internet browsing, email, and taking tons and tons of notes for class. I will write an occasional paper and sometimes create an audio recording that I email with others.

Lastly, while in school I will teach online as a side job to earn extra money, which unfortunately those sites require flash and a lot of downloading regarding documents. I would be on those sites about 30 mins a day and currently own powerbook g4 that I think i bought in 2005, which is working just fine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. seven7seven macrumors regular

sounds like you'll be doing stuff that you'll need more than an iPad for.
    I'd go MBA or 13" MBP

3. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

I personaly dont think iPad is good for taking lot of notes. For what you will be doing, you need MBA more than iPad. As as student you will appreciate the portability of MBA and performance wise it trumps just about everything in the market today.

4. gmans46 macrumors regular

5. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

MacBook Air seems to fit your bill.

6. necodaak8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Thank you all for your help. Encouraging to see each person tell me MBA. I will go with the MBA when it comes out. The one reason I was considering the ipad was because I thought it would be great for note taking using a stylus on some of the apps that are available.

Thanks again!