Gears of War VS. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by evan g, Jul 3, 2008.

?

Gears of War VS. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

1. Gears of War

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. Both are awesome!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. evan g macrumors regular

I have heard both are great third person shooters with great art direction, but which one in your guy's opinion is greater?

(Just a little thing to help with the v2.40 PS3 update stress. I have them too, don't worry. :))

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I have only played through Uncharted (awesome game)but Gears is great as well based on what I have seen. Both are awesome! But I have to say that Uncharted has a bit more variety, including puzzles and more than just running and gunning. Not to mention a great story that gets better the further you go.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK I have both too, but I prefer Uncharted which I at least finished, whilst GOW just sits on my shelf. There was more variety to the gameplay in Uncharted for me.

4. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I have Uncharted, and it's pretty sweet. I REALLY wanna get a 360 just so I can get Gears and see what it's like. I'll just stick to convincing my friends to get it. I'm gonna have to go with Uncharted though, just because from what I've seen, it's a lot easier to connect with the charactors.

5. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

gears is great, ive played through it several times, but dont expect any sort of plot lol

6. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah hopefully 2 has some good stuff. But I have to say, I would have liked to see some online play in Uncharted. Gears wins that round.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Where's the "both are rubbish" option :p

I was let down by Drake since it was supposed to be Tomb Raider with a bloke, but they ended up having terrible action sequences which took up too much of the game.

Whereas GoW was cumbersome movement city, uninspired story and locations, too "gruntish" (Young Jimmi used to love Pringles. Just the ready salted flavour. A couple of years ago on holiday I pigged out on 2 pipes of Pringles and ever since I've never wanted Pringles or any kind of salted crisps. Because of GoW I can't play UT3 or bits of Quake 4 for the characters).

8. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I agree. They both have some pretty dissapointing ... dissapointments. :)

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah thats true disappointment is very disappointing. Especially if you expect to be dissapointed and you find your not which in itself can be dissapointing because you were not dissapointed to the level of dissapointment that you were expecting....

aghhhhhhh I'm in hell :)

I haven't tried it online as I don't really play my PS3's (edit: or 360 & wii ) online. I got really into online gaming 2006 to mid 2007 and then after that I basically stopped playing online even though I'm still in a clan and such.

I prefer single player gaming, or if I'm playing multiplayer I like to do it locally. Having fun playing through Lego Indy with a friend at the moment.

Hence i am sure there are a lot of people here who play and really enjoy GOW online, and that's an area where Uncharted has no support. Whilst it was fine for me, for others it could be the thing that swings them to GOW in preference.

10. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

11. pcypert macrumors 6502

I love playing Gears Co-op. Really nice gaming experience for me. The story is kind of lame, but there were some fun gameplay elements and love the cover system. I've played through about 5 times with different friends.

Uncharted not so much. Not much replay and not much else on offer.

Paul

12. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I played through both and have to say Uncharted is my favorite. Better story, a cool twist in the middle, and little hidden treasures to find. I can't wait for achievem.... oh "trophies" ;).

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Insomniac have announce no patch for uncharted or ratchet unfortunately.

14. madfresh macrumors regular

I would have to go with GOW due to the multiplayer. Don't get me wrong, Uncharted is a good game, but I don't see myself going through it a second or third time. GOW kept me going for a while and I enjoyed it. Yeah, I got pissed a few times due to it being glitchy, but it was still fun.

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Incorrect my good sir....Naughty dog will patch Uncharted but Insomniac is focusing on R2 which will include trophies.

Uncharted story and gameplay(cover system and all) was better than GeOW...Gears was average to me really but I did manage to finish it up

Bless

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Really? Eurogamer lied to me.. (edit.. just checked it was Resistance and Ratchet) :)

That's good news about Uncharted though, as I fancy playing through it again. I know i was a little fed up in the middle of the game, but it picked up excellently towards the final quarter. :)

Any news of a sequel in the works ? Surely there has to be.

17. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm not sure about sequels, but Naughty Dog is talking about doing future projects to the same level as Uncharted. :) Possibly even same amazing engine (hopefully juiced up a bit).

18. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Haha, ya Insomniac announced not to do Trophies. That really sucks :(. But Uncharted announced this plan a while ago! I can't wait for the patch

I think I've heard something about a sequel, about Atlantis or something.

19. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

Doh! Looks like a little Google search goes a long way! :D

20. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Uncharted is so much better than GOW, Graphics, Story, Gameplay, Innovation.

Uncharted is one of my favourite games, but Gears is almost as bad as Army of Two:eek:

21. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, in my opinion, Naughty Dog has it down.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Results are still 50/50 give or take. I think we can just take it that both are actually very good at what they do.

23. evan g thread starter macrumors regular

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Then you'd have a hodge podge game that's neither here nor there. Is it any wonder that given our super power computers and consoles genres generally try to stick to what they've always done. We've got the ability to have a strategic, stealthy, 3rd person racer with upgradable characters and a farm to run but there isn't any :p

25. Rhinestorm macrumors member