Geert Wilders' film Fitna attacks Islam.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Mar 27, 2008.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Fitna via Liveleak.

This film is very harsh towards Islam. I'm curious as to how the Muslim community will react.

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

How about "badly"?

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

They will be burning things,killing folks etc in the name of the religion. Remember how they acted to a cartoon. Amazing how people in the 21st century want to embrace primitive deity worship to the point of killing others because they dont adhere to these ancient fictional beliefs.

4. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

This kind of stuff needs to come out, and I'm glad it did, but having watched it it does seem needlessly inflammatory and overly emotive at times. A bit biased IMHO.

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Normal muslims will react as any normal person would react after being insulted. They'd voice their opinion and boycott the movie.

The radical muslims* on the other than, I don't want to know how they will react...

* I hate to call these radicals "muslims" because most real muslims, who are honest and law abiding people, do not believe that the way these radicals react is symbolic of the muslim faith.

6. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

F*ck 'em, tolerance is a two way street. I can tolerate crap said concerning me, so can they. No one is immune from freedom. Rioting would only prove the film makers right anyway.

7. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Exactly, an the problem is that radicalism was all the film showed. And what the F were those statistics on the number of Muslims living in Europe (with the sinister music in the background) about?

8. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

In other news, rational people will act rationally and irrational people will act irrationally.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

In my (cynical) opinion, Wilders associates Islam with RPGs, suicide bombings etc. and he wants to see Muslims react to his film with these sorts of activities to prove his "point".

To be honest, the only thing that keeps fundamentalist Christians in this country from suicide bombings and religious genocide is the fact that they live in a wealthy society that is relatively well-served by the rule of law. Take all the Christian fundies in the US (and elsewhere) and put them in Iraq, and swap out the US military with that of a Muslim nation, and you'd have the exact same situation in reverse...people would be blowing themselves up for Jesus rather than for Allah.

10. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yup, thats why fighting these guys with bombs and stuff is kind of silly. You have to make it so they already lost if they decide to go blow something up (basically have them in the same position as the christian fundies).

And no, egging them on with rather inflammatory videos isn't going to help. It's a bit like poking a stick into a beehive and complaining that only angry bees come out instead of honey.

11. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

propaganda

I guess I'm a cynic, as I don't believe a word about his intentions regarding this film. An easy way to get your 15 minutes of fame is to inflame a group that is known to have radicals who react on behalf of the entire group, (whether they are all in agreement or not). In other words, it's an attention seeking action. The information he is purporting is already widely accepted as at least partially true (ignorant or not), so the educational factor is bunk. Manipulating religious texts to serve your cause? Gosh, nobody has ever tried that before! :eek:

It's clearly biased, and comes off way more like propaganda than a documentary. A video agenda that is loaded with extremes, targeting not only those responsible, but everyone of the faith. And he has the nerve to say he takes no responsibility for potential reactions. :rolleyes: I hope he's held responsible for the consequences of his actions in making/releasing this film.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I disagree to a certain extent - yes, he should be seen as the incendiary he is, but at the same time people who are willing to kill other people in the name of religion must also be held fully responsible for their own actions, regardless of the fact that they were provoked.

In short, would I be surprised if some mullah issued a fatwa against Wilders and people try to kill him? No. But does that in any way justify the people trying to kill him or anyone else? Hell. No. I think this is part of the point Wilders is trying to make, though he's going about it in the wrong way IMO.

13. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Killing is extreme, and not at all what I had in mind when I said I hope he is held responsible. I'm sure he is fully aware of the risks he's taken in releasing this film, and has taken appropriate precautions. But there are ways of making one responsible that are far less extreme than killing them, or condoning their murder. Perhaps preventing him from making more propaganda, and a public apology for deliberately offending those who have the faith, and do not partake in such radical actions, etc.

The irony is, it's quite possible that he will have to greatly alter his lifestyle now in order to preserve his safety, and will view his film as a sacrifice for his cause. It reminds me of the mentality of suicide bombers, albeit, less extreme. I agree his methodology is horribly flawed, and will do absolutely nothing to dissuade those who fully believe their murderous actions are righteous. This leaves him with no point, imo.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't give a crap how they react, nor do I care about their feelings. Deal with it. That's life.

15. stevegmu macrumors regular

He is a politician, not some filmmaker looking to make a name for himself.

Just how should he be 'held responsible?' Beheading? Locked up for expressing his beliefs? He can't be held responsible if irrational, brainwashed zealots choose to murder 'defending Islam.' If anyone should be held accountable, it is the Imams, who drive their flocks to violence, rather than guide them to peaceful, rational disagreement.

I see the members from the 'religion of peace' have succeeded in having Fitna removed from LiveLeak. Who was it who was going on about freedom of speech in England/Europe?

16. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Everybody's aloud to out his/her opinion. I think this film is a very good thing. That's doesn't mean i like Wilders, because i don't..

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

How about the members of the "flock" who actually commit the violence?

Both side irritate me...this is a classic case of two wrongs not making a right.

18. stevegmu macrumors regular

They, as well, but those who brainwash them are just as, if not more responsible.

Unfortunalely, LiveLeak doesn't have a pair, so removed the vid before I could watch it.

19. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Obviously missed my elaborating above.

Agreed.

20. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Nice to know good people with clear thought remain vocal. I worked for a muslim run business years ago. After 9/11, more and more threats were being made to their churches and schools. Heard a story the other day of a school teacher telling a muslim child she was going to hell, and encouraged the students to mock her until she went home and cried herself into a depression. Pretty f-ed up.

~ CB

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Every cloud has a silver lining.

22. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Oh I don't know.

How would the black community in the US react when a publicity-seeking politician with debatable, but not entirely unclear white supremacist leanings releases a 'respectable film'?

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

*Inserts the possibility of an impending economic collapse*

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh no- please don't. We have enough problems already. ;)

25. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The video is back on LiveLeak.

My opinion is that I'm glad it was made. I don't understand the people who continue to insist it is a teeny tiny isolated fringe minority of muslims who believe this way. I've had muslims tell me to my face they believe things along these lines.

Next, somebody will point to WBC, or other fringe sects of Christianity for comparison. Sorry, that isn't comparable. Besides the fact that the WBC doesn't kill anybody, those types are nowhere near the same percentage of Christianity as "extreme" muslims are of Islam.