Geforce Gt650M vs Benchmarked Overclocked ATI 6750M 1Gb (Diablo 3 + Youtube link)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by goldsaint, Jun 14, 2012.

1. goldsaint macrumors member

What will make me decide if i should upgrade from my current macbook pro 2011 (with which i am very happy) to the max retina mbp specs, is the GPU (Graphic card)

i want to show all what the ATI 6750M 1Gb GDDR5 can really do, so that people stop comparing with sites like notebookcheck etc that generally give a very false information of the card possibilities. Also, this is for test purposes to understand if there is a ''real'' gap between the 2011 gpu and the 2012.

Please note that i wish we had some real benchmark for the GT650M (too early i know) and to know if the card is overclockable of course (like the GT330M was)

Anyway, here is the Youtube link (read the description it says it all).
    I wanted to test Starcraft 2 also but i was dropped off the game, G. knows why.

Usually i play star2 in ultra settings n multiplayer and my fps get a steady 60-50
    Diablo 3 runs maxed out for 120-90 fps.

link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQNAiyFdIlI&feature=plcp

P.S : if somebody can post a geforce GT650M benchmark on the windows 7 side that would be great.

2. leenak macrumors 68020

I'm not judging how anybody spends their money but why would anyone who has a 2011 MBP buy a 2012 one? I guess I don't understand why this would even be a thought. Stick with your current computer for a few years then upgrade when prices fall/specs improve.

3. leman macrumors 604

Well, the 640m is on par or faster than the 6750m according to many benchmarks. 650m is even 15-20% faster.

4. goldsaint thread starter macrumors member

it is always interesting for 2 reasons :

first, you have the latest tech
    second : the resale value

so each time a mac user really ''spend'' to get another macbook pro is about 400-500$

For a real life ex, my machine is ready to go on kijiji montreal for $1800. (yes i got at least 5 people begging me to sell it asap).
    if i buy the new one it costs $2229 but i get the student discount price of $2029.
    Make the calcul

5. eron macrumors 6502

Old tech depreciates rather quickly. A 3 year old macbook would have lost most of its resale value, compared to a 1 year old one.

Some people like the thread starter wants the best performance, and is willing to pay for it.

6. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Title is a bit misleading, I was expecting to see a 650m benchmark as well.

The 6750m is quite impressive, I've got mine at 800/900@0.955V. Quite good that it can hit a 33% overclock while running at reduced voltage.

7. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

the 650M is a 28nm chip and significantly quicker than anything AMD has this year let alone last years chips.

the AMD one is also a hot chip where as the Nvidia will be cooler

8. 2LMedia macrumors member

I upgrade at every revision, usually only costs me a few hundred bucks. For my trouble I get a new, faster machine with a brand new warranty (saves me the $350 on AppleCare). It's less expensive and better to upgrade MORE often than hold onto a Mac for a few years and take a huge hit on resale price.

9. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

wth is the point of this thread, you make a title saying you have benchmark of both, then you just brag about your old radeon mobile card.

wow.

10. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

We're all waiting, but there is no official Windows driver support as of yet.