Gen. David Petraeus may face criminal charges

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jan 9, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Yea, and what was he sharing when he was ISAF commander and she was his aid? ;)

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/petraeus-federal-prosecutor-charges

I hope the feds indict him.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Considering we go after anyone else who leaks anything it would be hypocritical to not charge him.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

So, will he also be the so-called people's hero if he leaves the US? :cool:

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The fact that Petraeus refused to consider any sort of plea deal makes me question the extent of his culpability.

Lets look at it this way: Do you think it possible that at some point Laura Bush or Michelle Obama may have learned information that was classified through their husbands' conversation?

A lot, for me, depends on whether or not Petraeus mistress actually disseminated, or intended to disseminate, any of the information he is accused of sharing with her. Do the Government believe Petraeus actually shared his CIA username and password with her?

I'm not a fan of giving a free pass to anyone because of their high rank or prior service. But I'm equally skeptical of prosecuting someone for security violations that were more likely innocent slip-ups or pillow talk than deliberate attempts to leak state secrets.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I agree, Petraeus is not stupid. He is not going to just give away state secrets.

6. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Refusing a plea deal could reflect on his arrogance. Also, if the G-Men have already offered a plea then this is train is really moving.

A lot of this is related to a certain classified laptop (not mentioned in the article.)

If what I know is true, then he's guilty of serious lapse of judgment. Not selling secrets to ISIS or China but still felonies. I doubt he'll do time but he might receive a large fine and a tarnished reputation. Also, felon status will void all of his lucrative government contracts.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What would the government get by making an example out of him. He is a highly decorated general. Would they really want the backlash that would come with it.

8. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

General officers are not exempt from the law. I doubt there would be any backlash. It's not like Petraeus has some national constituency. The war-mongering neocons might gripe, but do they really want to defend someone who comprised national security?

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Whether we like to believe it or not, basically all prosecutions are - to one extent or another - political. Society decides which crimes are worthy of investigation and prosecution, and which crimes come somewhat lower down the scale of priorities.

And this case is one that is probably giving headaches to the Attorney General and White House. There really isn't a "good" answer here. If they go ahead and prosecute Petraeus, there will be an inevitable s-storm of protest from veterans groups, Fox News, etc. for persecuting a national war hero. And if they don't - there will be an inevitable s-storm of protest from veterans groups, Fox News, etc. - for sweeping a scandal under the carpet.

I think a lot will down to Petraeus intent. Did he deliberately give this woman access to classified information, or was he simply careless? That may be difficult to find out, and even more difficult to prove in Court.

10. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Not really a fair comparison. There is a big difference in the eyes of the law between sharing classified information with someone who is supposed to be your "trusted" spouse versus someone of a lower integrity who is knowingly committing adultery with you.

11. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Wasn't she a high ranking officer who worked in the Pentagon?

12. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

No, she was/is a US Army Reserve major who was P's "close companion" when she was "researching" her book.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I thought you weren't allowed to share it with anyone.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Yes the Sergeant would but I can live with this outcome.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So your support the notion that the rich, famous, powerful, and children of such people are entitled to a kit glove treatment. It all works out and is nicely balanced by treatment of lawbreakers at the bottom of society who can expect to have the book thrown at them. :rolleyes:

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If that's the way you want to take my comment then yes I support all those things.

18. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

It pays to be in with the Power Elite.

Bradley Manning gets 20 years and Edward Snowden has drones orbiting over his dacha. However, Petrasus is hit with a fine equivalent to 75% of one of his speaking fees. :rolleyes:

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

This is probably an appropriate punishment. However I don't see it as a sign that this administration is going to improve when the next guy who isn't a general leaks evidence of wrongdoing.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I was raising the issue, considering the popular, although inaccurate notion of justice as a uniform standard by which citizens can expect equal treatment.

blind_justice.jpg

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Keeping the governments dirty laundry secret are more important than equal treatment.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Petraeus also has a record as a convicted Felon. Meaning he probably won't be able to vote; own firearms, serve on most corporate boards, or even visit Canada. His movements and actions during the term of his Probation will also be severely limited. He will most likely need permission to travel outside his home state; he may be barred from visiting certain types of establishment; and he may not be able to consume alcohol. Probation is not a cake walk.

Lets also keep in mind both the intent and the consequences of their actions. Petraeus action was, while not purely accidental ,was more likely on the level of an oversight. He didn't stop to think that his biographer - a woman with whom he had obviously shared many intimate details - did not have an appropriate security clearance. And there is no evidence to suggest that information Petraeus shared with this woman was disseminated beyond her, or that any US military, diplomatic, or intelligence assets or operations were compromised.

I don't think anybody would be served by seeing a former Four Star doing time in a stockade.

23. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Now I don't understand why he would need to tell her information above her security clearance (if he did) in order for her to write his biography. None of that would appear in the book anyways, unless it only for Gub'ment and military folks with appropriate security clearance. Could you imagine him signing books at a book store?

Me: General. I just read you biography. You've lived an interesting life. That things you did in Iraq. Wow.
    Gen. P: Why thank you, son. Do you have security clearance of "Secret" or higher?
    Me: I'm a just an ordinary civilian, sir. I don't have any security clearance.
    Gen. P (the smile fades from his face): Sergeant! Take this man out back and shoot him.:eek:

24. aaronvan, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

His bimbo was a Military Intelligence officer (35D) and certainly possessed a TS-SCI clearance. The intelligence Petraeus shared was lower--SECRET--so she did have the requisite clearance. However, that was not the issue. The issue is Petraeus took a SECRET classified laptop from a secure area to his house (a serious security violation) and then gave it to his girlfriend, who took it home with her. He was 100% aware he was wrong but obviously didn't give a rats because she was writing a fawning hagiography about him.

And with all this going on, Petraeus was STILL a paid White House consultant on Iraq as recently as this March. It's a disgrace that Obama let him off with a slap on the wrist at the same time Obama is prosecuting honorable government whistleblowers.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree that the main issue is the handling of classified documents. You can't just take them home with you. However, she might of had a TS clearance, but in many cases information is compartmented, need to know and not meant to be handed around to everyone with a clearance. It's a bit mind boggling that either of them though this info was appropriate for a biography.