General Motors agrees to sell Saab to Swedish sports car maker Koenigsegg

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Jun 16, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No more than that at the moment. Just a headline.

Capture.PNG

edit: ok, small article now appeared:
    BBC.

I'm surprised though. Who backs Koenigsegg's finances? They're a very high end super car maker (very low sales volumes), odd move :confused: edit: This question now partly answered by the published article. EIB funding, backed up by the Swedish Gvt.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I imagine this is to allow Koenigsegg to get closer to the targets set for average CO2 production across a companies entire car range.

It may also signal a return to the Saab of old who used to make fun and interesting cars unlike the boring badly made rubbish they've made for the last 15 years.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well apparently there have been a few recent Saabs that have been pretty good, but brand image is everything, and when you're tied with GM, your reputation is going to take a beating anyway. It's hard to separate all the crap cars from the odd gem.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

We sat in a few models at the last car show here in DC. We basically looked at each other and said "It just doesn't feel like a Saab." I hope it's a win move for the company.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Maybe in the US you were getting different cars. Here in Europe the 9-3 was just an Opel/Vauxhall Vectra in drag. The Vectra wasn't particularly good to start with. I mean cars like the old-school 900 turbos. Something exciting, different and a little dangerous.

6. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why wouldn't the Swedes want their brand back?

Besides you can't possibly expect the Swedish government to directly buy Saab back, so they finance a real automobile company like Koenigsegg.

8. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

I hope they can pull it off.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It'll be interesting. Saab has been a brand in want of a purpose for all these years GM owned it. Perhaps Koenigsegg can find some way to leverage other automakers for hardware and come out with interesting things in the way that Lotus has done with some of their more recent oeuvres.

10. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

And I think that's pretty cool, since I had first heard it was some financing fund. At least it's in the same industry. GO SAAB, kick ass cars btw !!!

11. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I thought Sabb was a british company? Learn something new every day :rolleyes:

Wish i could be the 49th employee at Koenigsegg :D

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes indeed, agree completely; the old Saabs were great cars, stylish, beautifully designed and yet just that bit different from BMW/Mercedes. I seem to recall reading that their ancestry was from the aeronautical industry.

Exactly. It's a good move, and I'm delighted to learn about it; I'd love to see new stylish sophisticated Saabs on the road.

Cheers

13. auburnfan24 macrumors regular

me too! i bought a saab last year and i love it....but not alot of word about servicing and questions...kinda feel left in the dark :rolleyes:

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Correct -- Saab was originally an aerospace company and diversified into cars (loosely like BMW did) in the 40's. I believe (link) that Saab Automobiles was a part of this conglomerate until GM took control.

Their fighters include the Gripen, still in service in a number of defense forces:

[​IMG]

And also the Viggen, a jet fighter made up to the beginning of the 90s.

[​IMG]

AFAIK, it's from this Viggen that the Viggen branding on some performance Saabs comes, such as the Saab 9-3 Viggen.

[​IMG]

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thanks for the pictures and for confirming what I had remembered reading. Actually, I remember seeing an ad for Saab which used to appear in glossy magazines around 20-25 years ago and which depicted a Saab car and jet fighter side by side and compared their joint ancestry. At the time, I was blown away by the ad and by the sheer understated elegance and yet awesome power of the car.

Cheers and good luck

16. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

"Still"? The Gripen is a 4.5 gen fighter. About as modern as a modern combat aircraft can be short of the American F-22 and F-35.

I always thought the little touches that SAAB used to make on their cars as a nod to their aircraft heritage were cool - "jet mode" with only the tach and the speedo illuminated.

I think this is too little, too late for SAAB. K'egg manufactures what, ~200 cars a year? And SAAB has been saddled for the foreseeable near term future with the old GM platforms.

I'd love me some SAAB, but they haven't produced anything I've wanted to buy in a long time.

17. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

I hope with Koenigsegg at the help SAAB's future models recapture the quirkiness and fun of the 900 Turbo's of the 80's. The SAAB 9-3 XWD is a step in the right direction. Bring back the Viggen.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well all you have to do is look at the dashboard. They have always laid out the dashboard controls to resemble a cockpit (i.e., a bunch of knobs on a flat surface).

19. garybUK Guest

garybUK

and the American F-22 and F-35 are way shorter than the Eurofighter Typhoon :)

I had a 9-5 Aero was a fricking awesome car, beautiful to drive, i loved the night mode also where it was just speedo and rev monitor that were illuminated, was so cool when driving home on the motorway at night.

Long live Saab, nice cars, maybe Koreningsegggghahshahsgasgagagagagagagagagagagagagag (top gear reference) may be Saab's parent/luxury/sport brand.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry, sorry! I thought it was a plane that had just gone out of production, not one that is just coming into production, and thus the "still." I'm not trying to insult your airplane....

21. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Yes, drove a 9-3 for a few months, and I loved that car. Didn't even need to turn on the radio...

22. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Ahh SAAB...

Something Always About to Break

:p

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

True, but I knew that as I had read that this was the reason for that design but it looks and feels great.

Cheers

24. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I know someone with a Saab - nice car. Nice to see it back in Swedish hands...

25. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Not my airplane! :) Just leftover grade school interest cool things that go fast.