General posts

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
2,139
0
Buffy's bedroom
There are now more posts in the general thread than in any other thread at MacRumors! Yay for general! :)
 

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
3,099
0
yeah and it hasn't been around that long
This is the best thing out there
 

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
3,099
0
dude where the hell do you come from I can't pronounce it
But your right it is the place to
Arn you should clear out all the old users
you know the ones who becomes members and don't even post ****
its just wasted space
 

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
2,139
0
Buffy's bedroom
Originally posted by mac15
dude where the hell do you come from I can't pronounce it
But your right it is the place to
Arn you should clear out all the old users
you know the ones who becomes members and don't even post ****
its just wasted space
I was looking at that the other day... there are about 4,000 registered members, and only around 300 of those have more than 20 posts.
 

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
2,853
0
behind you
I cant help but feel that these threads are here for the sole purpose of boosting post counts. But, since theres really nothing better to talk about right now I guess discussing the number of "members" and man tits will do....

We really need to get a wire into Apple or something :D
 

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
2,139
0
Buffy's bedroom
Originally posted by teabgs
I cant help but feel that these threads are here for the sole purpose of boosting post counts. But, since theres really nothing better to talk about right now I guess discussing the number of "members" and man tits will do....

We really need to get a wire into Apple or something :D
Well, I have my avatar, so I have no reason to boost my post count...

And you're right, there's really nothing happening in the world of Apple, so we have to resort to talking about member's post counts. The MacRumors community will not just stop because Apple hasn't done anything exciting lately... we will just come up with more and more boring threads until something exciting happens!
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,561
0
VA
Originally posted by mac15

you know the ones who becomes members and don't even post ****
its just wasted space
Wasted space? You're joking right?

You've wasted more space with your posting 4 screen shots of your desktop than 10,000 user profiles that don't post. How much space do you think those images take up vs. a member data set?

Let people be a registered member, everyone helps. Even if they don't post it doesn't mean they're not visiting the site, Arn can use all the traffic he can get, gives him more hits which means more people are interested in advertising. Who do you think pays for this site? I ponied up the $30 and bought a mug because I'm a supporter, screw post count and avatars.

And frankly I'd rather members not post anything at all unless they have something intelligent to say and not just 2 lines about how cool something is.

Inanity has run amok!
 

freedom

macrumors member
phonetic?

Mac15, I´ll try to spell it so you with "brittish" accents might be able 2 pronounce it! We rarely use diftongs in our language…
All wowels are "straight".
[middsommahrkransen]
- midd, as in: middlesbrough
- som, as in: somersby (what?)
- ahr, as in: arlington (…)
- kransen, as in: [same a as in ransom, change o to e as
the sound of a in any…]
Did you get that? I´m sorry to jump out of the subject,
but I´m a patriot when it comes to my "barrio".
It is a ribbon of flowers you tie to a crown on midsummer´s eve!
:)
Do you think Apple personnel read this forum?
Steve himself? He´s a real hippie, and it wouldn´t surprise me!
 

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
2,139
0
Buffy's bedroom
Thanks for reminding me dukestreet. I've been going to contribute for ages. I'm going to bed now, but I'll do it tomorrow. But I don't want a mug... can I just donate something? Wait, don't answer, I'll find out myself.

If you don't see "demi-god" against my name within a week, kick my ass and tell me to donate. thanks :)
 

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
2,139
0
Buffy's bedroom
Re: phonetic?

Originally posted by freedom
Mac15, I´ll try to spell it so you with "brittish" accents might be able 2 pronounce it! We rarely use diftongs in our language…
All wowels are "straight".
[middsommahrkransen]
- midd, as in: middlesbrough
- som, as in: somersby (what?)
- ahr, as in: arlington (…)
- kransen, as in: [same a as in ransom, change o to e as
the sound of a in any…]
Did you get that? I´m sorry to jump out of the subject,
but I´m a patriot when it comes to my "barrio".
It is a ribbon of flowers you tie to a crown on midsummer´s eve!
:)
Do you think Apple personnel read this forum?
Steve himself? He´s a real hippie, and it wouldn´t surprise me!
Good job. Made sense to me.

PS. Aussies don't have British accents! ;)
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,561
0
VA
Originally posted by Beej

If you don't see "demi-god" against my name within a week, kick my ass and tell me to donate. thanks :)
I might round up some of boys and head over your way, you can count on me!

And even though you don't need a mug, go to the contrib page (I know you said not to bother, but other people might like to know), its not an obvious link.

https://www.macrumors.com/contrib.html
 

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
513
0
.be
Originally posted by dukestreet


Wasted space? You're joking right?

You've wasted more space with your posting 4 screen shots of your desktop than 10,000 user profiles that don't post. How much space do you think those images take up vs. a member data set?

Let people be a registered member, everyone helps. Even if they don't post it doesn't mean they're not visiting the site, Arn can use all the traffic he can get, gives him more hits which means more people are interested in advertising. Who do you think pays for this site? I ponied up the $30 and bought a mug because I'm a supporter, screw post count and avatars.

And frankly I'd rather members not post anything at all unless they have something intelligent to say and not just 2 lines about how cool something is.
I agree, I have been a daily visitor to macrumors since I signed in May2001, but did not feel the need to post anything, until recently I started joining in on some of the discussions (general and others)

Indeed I have to say that some posts I made were only to boost my post count (avatar here I come), but then again, some of the discussions were way out of the normal MR league as well , so...
 

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
436
1
Milwaukee, WI
I started viewing macrumors daily this past summer, but I haven't starting posting until earlier this year. I simply prefer to lurk, unless I feel that I have something worth saying.

I am getting close to post 100 though!
 

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
1,319
0
Chicago
General good.

Fire bad.

I do practically all of my posting under general. I usually just don't have that much to contribute to the rumors section. Does that make me a bad poster??? :(

Taft
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,561
0
VA
Re: General good.

Originally posted by Taft
I usually just don't have that much to contribute to the rumors section. Does that make me a bad poster??? :(
MacRumors is so much more than rumors, you've been around and know that. Like I said, its a resource for mac people. You have a question about something you can usually come here and get more answers and information that you can use.

Besides you've had some witty/insightful/helpful posts - and you're all spiffed up in a tux. I doubt Arn would kick out such a gentleman as you:D
 

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
513
0
.be
Just checked my profile, and found that I'm around .40 posts a day:)
Luckely the avatar isn't posts/day sensitive.
As I said, in another general discussions thread, I have been wondering through MR on a daily basis, checking for what's hot at Apple.
But never felt like posting anything, until a couple of weeks ago I felt the time was ripe to join in on some of the discussions.
first the hardware and rumor discussions, but since nothing spectacular is going on at apple (or at least they keep it hidden for us very well;) )
The general discussions is the not the last resort, but a place where one can relax, and join in on some non headaching threads.
 

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
9,594
3
serendipity
Re: General good.

Originally posted by Taft
Fire bad.

I do practically all of my posting under general. I usually just don't have that much to contribute to the rumors section. Does that make me a bad poster??? :(

Taft
i hear that. it's hard to compete with the majority of the people here who know far more in terms of computer technical stuff than myself, so i don't usually have anything to offer there. and as far as posting to boost a count, whether it's for a little icon by your name or not, i don't see the point.you could just make a little icon and put it on your desktop or something and you'd still see it just as much or more...
 

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
In all honesty...... I'm not really bothered about an avatar.....

A couple of weeks ago, I was posting quite alot on a day to day basis..... because there was alot of threads I had an interest in..... lately I've slowed down quite abit because of both work load and not alot of threads I thought I could add anything too!!

Dukestreet man, your count has rocketed in the last few weeks... that's wild.... it's like doubled.... but at least you pretty much always have something intelligent to say...... :D

Anyway..... have to go, work to do all whilst trying to watch The Shining..... super film!!! :D
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,561
0
VA
Originally posted by iGAV

Dukestreet man, your count has rocketed in the last few weeks... that's wild.... it's like doubled.... but at least you pretty much always have something intelligent to say...... :D
I've had a little more time to play. I also check the posts several times a day, but I've mentioned it before, I have the time now, it won't always be that way. And when I do post I try to say something useful, I'm glad someone noticed. Thanks:D

But I don't think eyelikeart has anything to worry about in terms of getting knocked out of first place in the post count. Besides, I don't play that game.

However, on a more personal note, since I put the flossing.org in my .sig, we've been getting tons of hits there, its been the best thing that could have happened for out site. Soon, we'll be having a new version and a contest, so I'll be posting that here.
 

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
436
1
Milwaukee, WI
Originally posted by BeerDrinker29
Macrumors is a nice forum but for sure not one of the bigger ones. Check out Maccentral or even MacNN.
A bigger forum is not always better. The bigger you are, the more of a chance you will attract some trolls. Mac Central is full of them.
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,561
0
VA
I really like MacRumors. I've invested in it (Demi-Godism) and people know me here a little bit. I wouldn't want to go and do it all over again, rather have more people find out what a great place this is. There are tons of people here, not all of them post.

Ah, that's for another thread.
 

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
2,920
0
Santa Cruz Ca
Re: General good.

Originally posted by Taft
Fire bad.

Taft
The Rules:

1. Fire/money is a tool not a goal.

2. Fire/money is dangerous and should be respected.

3. Too much of either one can destroy lives in minutes.

4. The more of either you have the more carefully you should watch it.

:D :confused: :rolleyes: ;) :p :eek: :)
 

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
139
0
Originally posted by macstudent


A bigger forum is not always better. The bigger you are, the more of a chance you will attract some trolls. Mac Central is full of them.
Yes I agree. I was simply responding to a previous post asking if their was anything larger than macrumors (or something like that.)

I personally like the size of all the apple rumor sites forums. AppleInsider used to be too busy for my taste, but has now drammatically dropped in size.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.